PDA

View Full Version : No Light! No Light!

Anninyn
09-09-2013, 10:34 PM
I am sat in an ever-darkening room because the lights are not switching on. Obviously, all our other electrics are on. We've chedked the fuses and they're fine. Jos is going to reset the breakers tomorrow morning, and if that does nothing we're going to have to call in an electrician.

Until then it's the TV and computer for me, with only a single, side-lamp burning.

Join me in mourning for the light.

cray
09-09-2013, 10:46 PM
you could also have said, 'join me in the morning for the light' and it would have been equally poetic.

Anninyn
09-09-2013, 10:57 PM
you could also have said, 'join me in the morning for the light' and it would have been equally poetic.

Alas! Missed opportunities.

I have found a torch, so I may be able to read in bed later.

If only this had happened a month ago, when it was light till ten.

mirandashell
09-09-2013, 11:02 PM
You never realise how much you depend on electricity and what it provides until you have to do without it....

Be safe.

RNJ
09-09-2013, 11:12 PM
We had an ice storm once and the electricity was out for several days. We played a lot of cards by the light of an oil lamp.

Anninyn
09-09-2013, 11:15 PM
I'll be fine. No moving from my safe, lit-by-the-computer-screen circle unless absolutely necessary. I have a torch for the stairs later. Jos has promised to immediately return home if I start to panic.

Annoying, though. The pay for the electrician will have to go on the credit card or I'll have no money for Northumberland. Mind you, that's why we got a credit card.

I can't iamgine what people did before electricity. Sit in front of the fire till it went down? Go to bed at 8 pm?

mirandashell
09-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Pretty much yeah. The rich could afford a lot of candles but the poor pretty much went to bed when it got dark. Or went the pub.

Anninyn
09-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Candles and oil lamps seem unsafe with two cats in the house. I'm thinking in the near future me and Jos may buy half a dozen battery-powered camping lanterns. Winter's coming, and while they're rarely so harsh in the city as to put out the electricity for days, I remember being without it for 4 days when I lived in a country cottage.

And sometimes, even in our fair city, something goes and a portion of the city is electric-less for several hours.

Anninyn
09-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Pretty much yeah. The rich could afford a lot of candles but the poor pretty much went to bed when it got dark. Or went the pub.

Ah, the pub. Now, if only I had the money to go to the pub. I could take my book, get pleasantly tipsy till 11pm, come home and go to bed.

alleycat
09-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Candles and oil lamps seem unsafe with two cats in the house. I'm thinking in the near future me and Jos may buy half a dozen battery-powered camping lanterns.

Good idea. I have a couple of large ones and a couple of small ones and they really come in handy.

I also have a large battery power unit (think of a car battery in a case) with a DC to AC converter. It would be more than enough to charge a cell phone or even run a computer. It might be iffy to use it to run a coffeemaker, but I would sure be tempted to if I couldn't make coffee otherwise.

mirandashell
09-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Ah, the pub. Now, if only I had the money to go to the pub. I could take my book, get pleasantly tipsy till 11pm, come home and go to bed.

It's always been a good idea! LOL!

shakeysix
09-09-2013, 11:40 PM
We lose electricity often here. In summer it is lighter longer, so we can read but the weather is so hot that without a/c we are miserable. In winter we go to bed under every blanket in the house and tell ghost stories. Oh, and we have these head lamps and pop up LED lanterns. Very light and small. I think my brother got them from Eddie Bauer. --s6

Anninyn
09-09-2013, 11:55 PM
There is nothing so spooky as being alone in a dark, silent house and entering a room with your little torch only to see glowing eyes staring at you from high up.

Of course, it was just one of the cats. She was sitting on the wardrobe.

Black-and-white cats in a dark house.

We lose electricity often here. In summer it is lighter longer, so we can read but the weather is so hot that without a/c we are miserable. In winter we go to bed under every blanket in the house and tell ghost stories. Oh, and we have these head lamps and pop up LED lanterns. Very light and small. I think my brother got them from Eddie Bauer. --s6

Those seem like a good idea too. Easier to read with than a torch! We don't have Eddie Bauer here, I think, but I'm sure I could get them from Cotswold or Blacks or another camping supply shop.

alleycat
09-10-2013, 12:04 AM
I grew up in the country. Every two or three years we would get a big snowstorm or ice storm and be out of power for several days.

At first it would be fun. We would cook in the fireplace, play board games, make snowmen, listen to our portable radios, read by candlelight.

After about the second or third day it would start to lose its charm. We would get a little tired of eating charred food, and still couldn't finish the Monopoly game, and run out of batteries for our radios, and playing like we were Abraham Lincoln and reading by firelight got a little old.

mirandashell
09-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Those seem like a good idea too. Easier to read with than a torch! We don't have Eddie Bauer here, I think, but I'm sure I could get them from Cotswold or Blacks or another camping supply shop.

You can also buy windup radios for about 20 quid.

Anninyn
09-10-2013, 12:16 AM
I grew up in the country. Every two or three years we would get a big snowstorm or ice storm and be out of power for several days.

At first it would be fun. We would cook in the fireplace, play board games, make snowmen, listen to our portable radios, read by candlelight.

After about the second or third day it would start to lose its charm. We would get a little tired of eating charred food, and still couldn't finish the Monopoly game, and run out of batteries for our radios, and playing like we were Abraham Lincoln and reading by firelight got a little old.

I guess I'm a thouroughly 21st century woman, because even when camping I like to have as many creature comforts as possilbe (airbed, camping lantern, torches, a campsite with showers) and I do remember the times our electricity went out when I was very little being... difficult. We lived in an old coaching inn back then and the wiring had possibly been put in by a drunk, half blind incompetent. In winter and during storms we'd lose electricity and one especially hard winter we had nothing for three days.

We were not the most harmonious of families by the time it came back on.

Top quote, still stuck in my head 20 years down the line: "Fuck you and your fucking monopoly and your fucking candlelight and your fucking 'adventure' I want THE LIGHTS BACK. I'M GOING TO A SHITTING HOTEL!"

alleycat
09-10-2013, 12:17 AM
You can also buy windup radios for about 20 quid.

I have one of those. Somewhere.

I got a very small battery powered TV for emergencies one time. Then they went and changed the broadcast system in the US to all digital, so it no longer works.

We had a major flood here in 2010 (massive damage and power outages). I kept power, but lost Internet service. It's amazing how used to it some of us have become. I think I would have traded having the TV for being able to get on the Internet.

alleycat
09-10-2013, 12:21 AM
I guess I'm a thouroughly 21st century woman, because even when camping I like to have as many creature comforts as possilbe (airbed, camping lantern, torches, a campsite with showers) and I do remember the times our electricity went out when I was very little being... difficult.

There is a huge outdoor four-day musical event held near here every year call Bonnaroo. I have some friends who like to go. One year they were so exciting because they were taking their very own chemical toilet (WC) with them.

I get invited to go. I'm too old to enjoy living in a cow pasture for four days.

RNJ
09-10-2013, 12:26 AM
I prefer a bed & breakfast when we travel.

mirandashell
09-10-2013, 12:27 AM
I'm definitely too old for sleeping on the floor now.

Anninyn
09-10-2013, 12:32 AM
My mum has decided much the same and now I am no longer under 21 I've decided I am exclusively a fair-weather camper. We went to Wales a little while back and it gave us a months worth of rain in a week and our tent leaked. I was less cheerful and good-humoured and adventurous about it than I would have been at 19.

Summer camping only, for me. Otherwise, B+B's and hotels.

Maryn
09-10-2013, 12:43 AM
To me, camping is a hotel rated less than three stars...

When our kids were fairly small, we had a massive ice storm in the area which knocked down so many trees (and power lines) that it was 13 days before our lights were on again. Our kids slept at Grandma's house, thank goodness, and I baked every day, since the gas stove worked. I also showered there. Between the two, our pipes didn't freeze--but man, I sure did. You never say anybody dry and dress so fast.

It's a fun adventure for a few days only. After that, you want clean laundry, decent reading light, and the internet.

Maryn, still amazed at both the selfishness and the selflessness of the locals after the ice storm

alleycat
09-10-2013, 12:44 AM
I prefer a bed & breakfast when we travel.

Yeah, but just think of the fun of carrying your own little chemical toilet with you.

You just don't want the job of emptying it.

Anninyn
09-10-2013, 12:50 AM
I have made the excellent decision to listen to the gloriously creepy Welcome To Night Vale all over again from the beginning. Alone in a dark house and listening to vaugely lovecraftian small-town weirdness was the best idea I ever had.

I have to admit I love a good hotel. We stayed in a lovely one for our honeymoon. And while I enjoy camping, the 'saving money' aspect of the whole deal is less compelling these days. (though more compelling in the first year after we bought the house)

alleycat
09-10-2013, 12:53 AM
I see dead people.

alleycat
09-10-2013, 12:54 AM
What was that sound? Was that a cat, or could it be . . . one of the undead?

Anninyn
09-10-2013, 12:56 AM
It's probably just a cat.

ARRRGH
NO

NO

ARRRGH

THE TEETH THE HORRIBLE TEETH

IT'S EATING MY LEG

ARRRGH

Anninyn
09-10-2013, 01:02 AM
greetings fellow human mortals. Please disregard my latest communication. It was but a joke. Ha. Ha.

This meatbag has not been eaten, and most certainly has not had the empty skin sack filled by a inhuman slime beast from the stars. That has not happened.

I must ask that you please visit this water-filled sack at your earliest opportunity in order to prove this for yourselves. You will not have your organs flesh and bones sucked out, your soul scattered to the harsh netherwinds, and your physical self replaced by a superior being.

I can absolutely guaranteee that there will be leaves steeped in hot water.

alleycat
09-10-2013, 01:13 AM
You will not have your organs flesh and bones sucked out, your soul scattered to the harsh netherwinds, and your physical self replaced by a superior being.

I was kind of hoping they would. I was going to send some politicians over. And more than a few judges.

mirandashell
09-10-2013, 02:16 AM
I was definitely going to give Call-Me-Dave and Edballs your address.

KellyAssauer
09-10-2013, 02:39 AM
I can't iamgine what people did before electricity. Sit in front of the fire till it went down? Go to bed at 8 pm?

Yep. and they also... had a lot more children. :D

*wonders why*

Although I'm not entirely convinced, people tell me that the wee 'burg I live in has the worst electric service in the state of Pennsylvania. Yes, we're on a mountain. Yes, it's 19K to anywhere else. Yes, sometimes the electric goes off on a bright sunny day... but we're used to it. Generators, torches, candles, oil or propane lamps, are all standard household items. I guess we've grown accustomed.

:Shrug:

Caitlin Black
09-10-2013, 02:48 AM
Usually the only times the power goes off here is during a heatwave, when everyone's blasting their AC.

It's not very often that it goes out in winter.

We don't really have much in the way of supplies to deal with power outages... A couple of torches, and that's about it.