Romance Novel Authors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillyPhan593

Registered
Reaction score
Website
spaces.msn.com
I've just completed the 2nd of three short stories based on the relationship between my wife and I. The sum of the three takes us from meeting in high school, over the bumps in the long and winding road, to the our eventual marriage.

The stories are true. But as I sat writing them, It hit me that it could be a good basis for a book, or books. I figure it would target a younger female audience. Maybe high school age and up.

My problem is this - I haven't read a great deal of romance novels. Especially ones targeting high school females ;) Any suggestions as to what authors/books I can check out to give myself an idea of what kind of voice, style, etc. to use?

Thanks in advance!

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
I'll let this post float here in novels for awhile to see if you get any replies. If you don't get many, I'll move it to the Romance section lower on the board. You'll probably pick up more replies there.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Well, I wish I could give you better news, but there really aren't any YA romance publishers left. The last imprint, Dorchester's Smooch line, just went under. Most high schoolers are choosing adult romances, and sales just didn't merit keeping the line going.

However, since you mentioned it was a long road to your marriage, how long was it? Was it in to college, or even later that you finally decided to pair up? Romances that extend over a long period of time might find a better home in women's fiction. Most of the books on the market today take place over a few weeks or months. Although... there IS a new Harlequin line that is doing "epic" romances, ones that go over years and years. They just changed the name of the line and I'm not sure what it is anymore.

Susan, annie? Any assistance (they're our resident H/S, Harlequin/Silhouette, experts, BTW.)

PhillyPhan593

Registered
Reaction score
Website
spaces.msn.com
Thanks, Cathy! Great info. It actually took place over a number of years (dated in High school. Broke up. Reunited five years later. Engaged Two years later. Married two years later). So I was going to base the story on a similar time line. Have the characters date and then reunite later on in life. I'm interested more on Harlequin line though!

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Pepper. I've added that one to my Favourites. Bye the way, congratulations and best of luck with your Harlequin project.

L.Jones

Registered
Reaction score
I'd forgo even the suggestion of Romance publishers. What you have may well fall into a sort of sub genre that the casual reader might call romance but is not the stuff of the Bit "R" genre - the male written (usually tragic) romance.

I think if you have something to tug at heartstrings and even better, bring tears then you might have a better chance.

Spark's The Notebook was based on the true story of his in-laws, for example. You might check out some of this style and see if you can shape your story that way. Some books to check out: Sparks: The Wedding Message in a Bottle. A Walk to Remember
Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas - James Patterson (not a love story but in the same vein, sort of)
The Christmas Box, The Locket. The Sunflower and so on - Richard Paul Evans

Annie
Luanne Jones
(Heathen Girls - Mira)
ps YA novels that are selling now are not Romances. Series like The Clique and Gossip Girls are NOT about finding love.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
This is just what I have been looking for. My book Second Chances (working on a title) Follows Tracy, a young woman who falls head over heels for Matt, who later tragically dies and she meets another love, John, and she is caught between her feelings for Matt and her new feelings for John.

I keep on hearing the "It's great and well written and touching, but we don't know where to market it" line.

Thanks for posting this!

Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.