PDA

View Full Version : organizing workshop & conference notes

juniper
09-09-2013, 11:38 AM
I've attended several writing conferences or workshops or book fairs in the past few years, and have amassed a collection of notes and handouts on pretty much anything related to writing: software, character development, plotting, POV, editing, queries, fiction, non-fiction, creative non-fiction, blogging & websites, MFA ideas, small publishers - you name it, I've probably got a version of it. Or two or three versions.

I'm not sure why I'm keeping all of it. Will I ever use any of it again? Dunno. But maybe one day I'll want to find it, that gem of a note among all the mumbo-jumbo.

How do you organize all this stuff? Or maybe you don't keep it? Maybe you go to conferences and book fairs and collect stuff and then go home and put it all into the recycle bin. Or you dump it a few weeks later, while sorting out your desk.

Do you keep your notes and handouts? If so, what do you do with them?

Becky Black
09-09-2013, 12:44 PM
I've got plenty of those too and I think I could do with a sorting out.

I think what I will do is, first sort through and see what's useful. Next, sort them into categories - so info about outlining, editing, creating characters, etc. Then scan them and add the scans to Evernote - where I can classify them using notebooks and tags. I've already got a "writing advice and reference" notebook in Evernote. It could use some filling up!

Then I can a) recycle the paper versions and b) more easily find relevant advice and info using the tags etc. So I'll probably get more value out of them than I'm getting as a stack of paper.