Heroes of Cosplay (SyFy)

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been watching this. Lightly at first and now with more interest. I've been to conventions and seen people dressing up, but never realized how off-the-wall this has become with the costuming and contests. I love it! It's great fun to watch.

My only gripe is the teenage girl (Monika) who treats her poor mom so crappy. Holy cow.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It's enjoyable if a little slight. I have a lot of friends who are a part of the Canadian Cosplay scene here, and so I know a lot about the hard work they put into their costumes as well as the politics between individuals. And I think there's a lot more that could be mined from a show about Cosplay. More detail on how the costumes are made, but also more talk about the bad side of things: the whole Fake Geek Girl thing that is often lobbed at Cosplayers, the resentment other fans have towards the Cosplay community, the question (which they addressed very briefly) of if you are "allowed" to cosplay something if you aren't the "right" size, the question of the sexualisation of characters in comic books and the lack of many options for women to dress as non-sexy characters (which they again touched on very briefly), and the question of race and again if dressing in a character that isn't your race is wrong. There's a lot more that they could be doing than just re-treading the same old "Now I'm going to be this character, now I'm going to make the costume, now I'm going to compete."

That being said it's a fun show, and there are some really impressive skills on display. I hope that for the less famous creators this is launching pad for their respective design careers.

Last edited: