Racketeering

Rina Evans

Registered
Reaction score
How common is it in the US to pay (the mafia?) protection money/pizzo? Specifically, when it comes to bars and coffee shops. It's pretty common over here to the point it's expected and a 'normal' part of business if you have a bar. I found some stats, but not relating to the US. I figured I'd ask here and hope someone can shoot me some quick info.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're talking about Italy.

In the US, a lot of it depends upon where you are. Providence, Rhode Island, yes. South Boston, Massachusetts, maybe it still yes. Maybe not. Portland, Maine, no.

Parts of Los Angeles not the Mafia, but gangs.

Statistics are probably under-reported, and not much of a priority for the FBI. But it's is substantially improved over the past 50 or so years.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
In New York it's restricted to various ethnic communities. Gangsters tend to prey on their own, so if you are a shopkeeper in a predominantly Russian/Ukranian community, for example, you probably have to pay off some local Russian gangster. If it's a neighborhood with a heavy Italian mafia presence,there's probably some tribute going on there too. But it's not really a major factor in mainstream culture anymore. Back in the 1980's the Italian mafia was enormously powerful in NY thanks to it's control of unions and construction companies. But that's all over for the most part. The same as Las Vegas.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
South Boston, Massachusetts, maybe it still yes. Maybe not.

Nah, not really. That was then. Today's Southie is ruled by yuppies and hipsters.

That's not to say organized crime is completely dead in Boston, but those that are left have mostly moved on to other business opportunities.

So like the others said, it depends on where you are in the US, but in general, I don't think it'd be considered a normal part of running a bar.

kellycoinguy

Registered
Reaction score
In Utah criminals have moved on to Mormon on Mormon crime usually related to some kind of confidence scam. I have never heard of a protection racket here, ever.

The only "protection" schemes are for prostitutes and professional beggers (who have protection for the best spots to beg). Not for coffee shops and the like.