Being a literary agent: Juliet Mushens

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Juliet Mushens of The Agency Group was named one of The Bookseller's rising stars in 2012, and has a history of finding new talent and making great sales.

She was recently interviewed on Windmill Books' blog, and gives a wonderful account of the work involved in being a literary agent.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
Thanks for posting this, Old Hack. Interesting to see how much an agent does besides read slush. Also, it was nice how she said she likes to show up at author events to provide a familiar face in the crowd.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Reading slush is such a tiny part of an agent's job, but it does seem to be something that many aspiring writers are keen on!

I met Ms Mushens at the York Festival of Writing last year: I moderated a couple of panel discussions she was on. She's lovely: witty, thoughtful, generous and really sharp when it comes to publishing.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
We always talk on the boards about how much more there is to an agent's job than reading slush but it's nice to see that being emphasized again out in the wilds.

I wish she was in the US. *sigh* I'd send her ALL THE THINGS.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Juliet is a great agent to follow on Twitter and I'd definitely recommend subbing to her.