when an agent asks to see your next project

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
If an agent passes on one manuscript (in this case, after she read the full) and asks to see your next project, does that mean she just wants a query or the full?

I'm not to the point of being able to send just yet but I'm kind of curious. Query seems the safe route, I suppose. Should I just assume that's what she means if she didnt specify?

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I take that to mean query the normal way, but mention that the agent wanted to see it right at the start of the e-mail.

That's how I've responded to that sort of request, anyway. I guess I figured if they meant a full ms, better to have myself corrected on that than the other way around.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I take it to mean query, but start by mentioning the last ms and the request to see more of your work. That's how I've handled it.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
What they said.
The agent thought your writing showed promise, but didn't think the first manuscript was saleable.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed with all the above comments.

When I ask to see a next project it's generally because I think the writer has talent but the first project wasn't quite ready or wasn't something I thought would sell well.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Thank you all for the responses. Follow up question. The agent who asked to see my next project has now closed to queries. I assume I'm still welcome to send though, correct?

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
Either send it with a cover letter explaining that she asked to see the next project, or first send a sort of hybrid query, starting with the explanation that the agent had asked to see the next work, and it's done now, but you understand that the agent is closed to submissions, and is the agent still interested? You could include a query or an even briefer pitch after that.

I did something like that with an agent, who very graciously asked me to send the manuscript along in circumstances where she wouldn't have been interested in looking at it otherwise. It didn't end with an offer of representation, but she gave me some good feedback and encouraged me to submit my next next project to her.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If she asked to see it, send it.