PDA

View Full Version : Partial request for a ms in revisions

sirensix
09-06-2013, 04:27 AM
Tried a couple of forum searches and couldn't find an answer; I apologize if this question has been asked to death and I've missed it.

An agent I admire just asked for my partial, but I had already decided to stop submitting my ms and do revisions based on the feedback I've received on the ms from multiple sources in the time between.

I was 100% confident in the ms when I sent it out, but the eerily similar nature of the early feedback causes me to take it seriously. I now understand that the ms is not ready.

Do I send something I'm no longer happy with? And if not, what is the best way to respond to the agent?

Tromboli
09-06-2013, 06:08 AM
How involved is this revisions? How long will it take you?

A beta of mine contacted an agent who requested her MS, letting her know she was working on a revision if she wouldn't mind waiting. The agent was perfectly happy to wait and when she did sent it... she signed her. The difference, I think, is that the agent requested from a contest (where she got feedback from her "mentor" and decided to do a big revision), she didn't send a query (which, I think feels a bit like "here ya go.. oh, never mind")

You'll have to decide if it's worth it. You CAN let the agent know that you've received feedback and have decided to do a revisions, would they mind waiting? It's an option, but there are risks involved.

Aggy B.
09-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Are the revisions something that will make the MS different from the query? (Like a complete plot restructuring.) Or are they more a question of refining the content? (I did one of these recently.)

If it were me I would suggest contacting the requesting agent, telling them you're currently revising based on feedback from other agents and you expect to be finished by X Date and would they be willing to wait 'til then to see the MS?

They might not want to wait which means you might lose the agent's interest, but I would be uncomfortable with sending out something I thought needed more work.

heza
09-06-2013, 09:41 PM
I don't really know; I've only heard other people say that you just email back that the manuscript is currently under revision based on feedback received from other agents recently. And you'll send it along when the revision is complete, preferably with a time estimate.

I don't think this is an uncommon thing. I don't think it will surprise an agent. I think agents want to read your best work.

Don't send work that you know isn't ready. It'll get rejected and you'll have burned that bridge for this work. If the agent is really interested in it now, she'll probably still be interested in it next month.

kaitie
09-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Since it's only a partial, would it be possible to get that part revised and cleaned up in the next few days?

If so, I'd not say anything and just respond when it's finished. If you think it will take longer, I'd do what Heza said.

sirensix
09-07-2013, 03:29 AM
Thank you all very much; this was very helpful!

HNaro
09-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Out of curiosity, what did you end up doing? Congrats on the request too!

sirensix
09-08-2013, 09:46 PM
I did as advised and told the truth as succinctly and professionally as I could, and I'm continuing the revisions in the meantime. I appreciate the speedy consensus of the advice; it helped ground me in a rather nerve-racking situation.