Telling ALL agents I submitted to that the book is taken?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Just an etiquette question...

I've accepted an offer of representation, and informed the agents who had requested the full that the MS is no longer available.

Am I expected to contact all the OTHER agents, those who have neither communicated their rejection nor requested more pages, that the MS is taken? I feel like we're stuck half-way - if 'no answer means no interest' was industry-wide, I'd feel totally justified in not getting back to them. But that policy ISN'T industry wide, so...

Should I be contacting them all? What's the etiquette?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Unless they specifically ask you to (and some do), no, you don't have to. But as a courtesy, you might consider telling any who asked for large partials as part of the query package...provided the queries aren't more than a couple of months old.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes they'll state in their bio that they want to be informed on a query so they're not disappointed if they want to make a request and learn then that the novel is taken. I think it's nice to inform everyone, but you certainly don't have to. It doesn't have to be long, just a quick, withdrawing my query, thanks, email. Everyone who has a partial or full should be informed so they don't waste time reading your stuff in case they haven't gotten to it yet.

But for queries it really depends on how long it's been. If it's been a few weeks, I would let everyone know. If it's been a couple months, unless you know they typically respond, I would just move on and celebrate.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Well, I think it depends on how long ago you sent the queries. Over three months? I wouldn't bother. 2 months? You're probably safe (depending). 1? I'd contact them. It doesn't take long to send off an email letting them know.

I guess this depends on how many queries you had out. When I had to contact agents, I checked through my list and compared how long the query had been out and how long they say they will respond by. Ended up sending 7 emails to agents who might possibly have yet to read my query.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I should have been more organized when I was sending inquiries out. My system made sense at the time, but it doesn't now. Aaargh.

But it's only been about three weeks, so I guess I'd better send some e-mails. Thanks for the advice, guys!

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Congrats, Captcha! Hope it turns out to be a match made in heaven.

As a courtesy you should let the other agents know. They have enough on their plates without investing time in a ms. that's no longer available.

Barbara