My screenplay problems.

Sharp teeth

Registered
Reaction score
I find myself second guessing mostly everything I put down, changing the story, asking were the characters are going. I have been wanting to get better with outlines but I find myself writing scene to scene with a general idea of we're its going. I feel like a have 15 pages in my head and when I write In between them scenes my screenplay doesn't have great flow or direction.

August Talok

Don't Eat the Grot!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tigcarson.com
IMHO - You have to write out an outline (a treatment) of your entire story before you start on the actual script. There's too much going on. Scripts are such a stripped down form of writing that you need to have everything in order before you can even start that last step of the process. It's a drag - and seems like double or even triple the work... but trust me, it's not only worth it but will also save you a lot of heartache and frustration.

If you need anymore help - feel free to ask. I have quite a bit of experience with writing feature length screenplays. I'm always looking to help out a fellow writer.

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
I would first make a thorough study of story structure. Once you nail down your major plot points, much of your problem will disappear.

chickenma

Registered
Reaction score
It's been years ago, but I used to write scripts of other people's lame outlines (for pay!). It was easier than writing my own, cause it was a fun challenge and my ego wasn't invested except for feeling like a hero if I pulled off the impossible task. So make yourself an outline, then pretend it's someone else's and you've been called in to fix it. LOL

zebedee

Registered
Reaction score
in a perfectly normal place, listening to the voic
It's been years ago, but I used to write scripts of other people's lame outlines (for pay!). It was easier than writing my own, cause it was a fun challenge and my ego wasn't invested except for feeling like a hero if I pulled off the impossible task. So make yourself an outline, then pretend it's someone else's and you've been called in to fix it. LOL

That's actually a genius idea!

Screenwriting

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Website
screenwritingexpo.com
I like the suggestions for outlines, but also...

Why this story? Your comments about the story changing and not knowing where the characters are going makes me wonder whether this is an attempt to turn lead into gold because you think it might be commercial. Does your main character have a goal? Is there a protagonist stopping him or her? Or do you just have several characters in search of a story?

An outline will help greatly, but first, can you tell yourself (not this message board) what the main character wants, who and what are in his/her way, how he/she acts to seek that goal, and how the pursuit changes your protagonist?

If you don't know all of that, you can easily become lost in shifting characters and story.

I find myself second guessing mostly everything I put down, changing the story, asking were the characters are going. I have been wanting to get better with outlines but I find myself writing scene to scene with a general idea of we're its going. I feel like a have 15 pages in my head and when I write In between them scenes my screenplay doesn't have great flow or direction.

Saul Rothman

Registered
Reaction score
I have been wanting to get better with outlines

I think you already have your answer. You've got to stick to the outlining before doing anything else.

Those great scenes in your head won't go away, but if you're afraid they will, jot down some key points to keep from forgetting them -- but don't write them. Not until the outline is done.

There's a good chance that, once you finally get to them, they'll be way better than they were in your first thoughts.

I've mentioned before that I hate about 90% of writing. It's torture. But I love the other 10% so much that it's worth it.

Saulisa