Disturbing Fan Mail

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do any of you ever get fan mail? I do, once in a while, and mostly it's nice. People who want to take a moment to let you know you got something right, or understood their particular quirk, that sort of thing.

But about once a year I get a really disturbing fan mail from someone who describes a (real?) sexual experience that in some way resembles what I wrote but takes it to places I consider unsafe and, speaking frankly, sick. Often they want me to write a story using the practice, whatever it is. (Do people who write westerns or cookbooks get as many people shoving ideas at them as erotica writers do? I doubt it!)

I've long thought that if the telling seemed factual, and involved a child, I'd go to the police even if that meant outing myself as an erotica writer. But garden variety e-e-e-ew, I only let my skin crawl, then delete it.

What about you other erotica writers? Do you get that really weird stuff from readers?

Maryn

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I haven't had any sexual fantasy stuff sent--just a couple of garden variety anti-gay rants one of them going on about 'gay men like you' [snerk]

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
I got lots of weird emails when I wrote fanfic. Not so much for my published work.

The absolute worst emails begin with, "Hi, I'm 16, and I love your work..."

I was doing most of the stuff I write about at 16, but that doesn't mean I want to contribute to the delinquency of minors.