Nervous

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
I've been out of work a couple of years, and my health has finally improved to the point I'm thinking about getting a part-time job.

I'm off to a recruitment day for Aldi today. Aldi are one of the best payers in retail so I am nervous. I have an anxiety disorder and I am catastrophising.

I know that all I can do is show up, present myself as best as possible and do my best. If they want me, great, if not there are other places to work.

But I'm still all jittery.

Madeline Taylor

Registered
Reaction score
I'm gearing up for my Friday interview and it's a scary prospect. I've worked non-stop for 5 years, almost to a point of utter exhaustion. Prompted by my close family I resigned a year ago. But now it's time to get back out there again and it's so very, very daunting. Being at home is safe&cozy, which only makes going out there more petrifying.
But we need to do it. You need to do it, and I need to do it. It's life.
Besides, perhaps you end up having the most absurd and mad crew to work with, have fun with and, if starts align right and the fairies get sober enough to flick that magic wand a bit, you get inspired and write your bum off. Wouldn't that be brilliant? ;)

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
I'm gearing up for my Friday interview and it's a scary prospect. I've worked non-stop for 5 years, almost to a point of utter exhaustion. Prompted by my close family I resigned a year ago. But now it's time to get back out there again and it's so very, very daunting. Being at home is safe&cozy, which only makes going out there more petrifying.
But we need to do it. You need to do it, and I need to do it. It's life.
Besides, perhaps you end up having the most absurd and mad crew to work with, have fun with and, if starts align right and the fairies get sober enough to flick that magic wand a bit, you get inspired and write your bum off. Wouldn't that be brilliant? ;)

One of the reasons for my nerves is that my last work environment contributed to the stuff that made me unable to work.

But yes! I might get it! 15 hours a week at £8ish an hour would be lovely, and a few of my friends might work there too. The Aldi is ten minutes from my house, so convenient. And maybe I'll love everyone there and stuff will happen that means I write more, which would be lovely.

Having my own money would be a plus, too.

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sympathise with your jitters! I'd be just the same. But it sounds like you've got exactly the right mindset for the day.

Best of luck and hope it all goes well. :)

usuallycountingbats

Procrastinating on the net.
Registered
Reaction score
You know what? It's completely normal to be nervous! The thing to remember, is that the difference between excitement and nerves is breathing - try it - take some deep breaths and think about how you feel. That jittery feeling is pretty much exactly how you feel when something exciting is coming up (I always think it is how you felt when you were a kid and the next day was Christmas or your birthday!). But when we're nervous, we forget to breath, or let our breathing become really shallow, so then it becomes paralysing.

I'm in the process of interviewing for jobs at the moment, and I currently run my own company. I still get nervous. But in those moments before I go in, I take some deep breaths and remind myself that I haven't applied for anything outside my skill level, and that I can't control who else is there on the day. Then I apply the 'fake it till you make it' approach of being utterly confident in my answer to any question, and taking a minute to breath and think before I give my answer.

You'll do fabulously!

Madeline Taylor

Registered
Reaction score
Risking to sound like Oprah but... - have you tried writing about your past experiences? The ones that led you to be in the state that you're in? I'm an introvert, and I only talk if I'm in a very secure surroundings or if the job requires it (I'm a teacher) so I seldom complain or put out what bugs me. Apparently a bad habit, but, we can't all sit and pour our hearts out.
What I do is write some of my issues into my stories and somehow it became a filter of sorts. I find it helps.
And if you're already doing it - does it help?

Having your own money is a freedom I wish to have back. :)

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Risking to sound like Oprah but... - have you tried writing about your past experiences? The ones that led you to be in the state that you're in? I'm an introvert, and I only talk if I'm in a very secure surroundings or if the job requires it (I'm a teacher) so I seldom complain or put out what bugs me. Apparently a bad habit, but, we can't all sit and pour our hearts out.
What I do is write some of my issues into my stories and somehow it became a filter of sorts. I find it helps.
And if you're already doing it - does it help?

Having your own money is a freedom I wish to have back. :)

I do, and I've been seeing a therapist every month for the last six months now, which is helping.

I have noticed most of my stories lately feature someone trapped by circumstance, combined with claustrophobic locations and well-meaning attempts to help that end up harming.

See my creepy forest story below.

You know what? It's completely normal to be nervous! The thing to remember, is that the difference between excitement and nerves is breathing - try it - take some deep breaths and think about how you feel. That jittery feeling is pretty much exactly how you feel when something exciting is coming up (I always think it is how you felt when you were a kid and the next day was Christmas or your birthday!). But when we're nervous, we forget to breath, or let our breathing become really shallow, so then it becomes paralysing.

I'm in the process of interviewing for jobs at the moment, and I currently run my own company. I still get nervous. But in those moments before I go in, I take some deep breaths and remind myself that I haven't applied for anything outside my skill level, and that I can't control who else is there on the day. Then I apply the 'fake it till you make it' approach of being utterly confident in my answer to any question, and taking a minute to breath and think before I give my answer.

Thanks! And you're right. All I can control is myself and how well I present myself. I'm an incredible retail employee! TGhey'll love me, and if they don't it's their loss.

Deep breaths!

usuallycountingbats

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! And you're right. All I can control is myself and how well I present myself. I'm an incredible retail employee! TGhey'll love me, and if they don't it's their loss.

Deep breaths!

Exactly. And in the unlikely event you don't get this one, well, all interviews are great practise, so it's never wasted time and effort. I know a lot of management level people who go to a minimum of an interview a year to keep their interviewing skills high. So this is win-win for you!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do, and I've been seeing a therapist every month for the last six months now, which is helping.

I have noticed most of my stories lately feature someone trapped by circumstance, combined with claustrophobic locations and well-meaning attempts to help that end up harming.

See my creepy forest story below.

Deep breaths!

They will love you. We love you. Good luck, hon!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the interview! I've come to the conclusion, for me anyway, that whatever happens with a job, there's always another option just round the corner.

So even if you find the job isn't right for you, there will be other things to approach.

(And yes, yes I am treating this like you've already got the job. That's one piece of advice I received that I always liked. I mean, if you treat it like you already have the job, then this will lead to asking the sorts of questions that show you're really keen to work there. I mean, don't say things like, "You're going to hire me," but ask questions about your responsibilities. Interviewers will translate that as, "IF I get this job, I want to be prepared." :))

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(And yes, yes I am treating this like you've already got the job. That's one piece of advice I received that I always liked. I mean, if you treat it like you already have the job, then this will lead to asking the sorts of questions that show you're really keen to work there. I mean, don't say things like, "You're going to hire me," but ask questions about your responsibilities. Interviewers will translate that as, "IF I get this job, I want to be prepared." :))

That's really good advice, Cliff. We always told our kids to turn the interview around to "Why you really need me". It seems to work.

And Aldi really need Anninyn. Because she's approachable, friendly and - Anninyn? One more adjective :)

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
That's really good advice, Cliff. We always told our kids to turn the interview around to "Why you really need me". It seems to work.

And Aldi really need Anninyn. Because she's approachable, friendly and - Anninyn? One more adjective :)

I'm approachable, friendly and dedicated.

I have consistently shown excellent customer service and a willingness to go above and beyond manager expectations. I am adaptable and quick to learn new tasks and ways of doing things.

I have seven years of experience working retail. I could probably sell sand to people living in the desert.

And I live just up the road ;)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm approachable, friendly and dedicated.

I have consistently shown excellent customer service and a willingness to go above and beyond manager expectations. I am adaptable and quick to learn new tasks and ways of doing things.

I have seven years of experience working retail. I could probably sell sand to people living in the desert.

And I live just up the road ;)

Hired.

Unless they're total idiots.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully so!

I'm gonna be away walking hadrians wall from the 17th. I should tell them that in case they want to contact me, yes?

Uhm - I'd check it out with Hadrian first...

(you lucky thing!)

usuallycountingbats

Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully so!

I'm gonna be away walking hadrians wall from the 17th. I should tell them that in case they want to contact me, yes?

Yes, you should. Either mention it at the end, or if they haven't given a timescale for letting people know, weave it into a question about timescales.

Also, have a couple of questions prepared for the panel - one of my favourites is 'if you were to offer me the job, where would you see me in 5 years time?' This is a good one because a) it shows you see yourself sticking with the job long term, and b) it tells you how they treat their staff in terms of training, promotion, turnover etc. If they don't have an answer for this, be aware it means they probably don't routinely invest in their staff. That may well not be a problem for you, but it's something worth knowing IMO!

I am sure you know this, but absolutely no questions about Ts&Cs/hours/pay/breaks/holiday etc during the interview. Once you've been offered the job is the time to ask this stuff and to negotiate anything you want (like, for example, certain shift patterns). When they're still deciding, asking this stuff comes across really badly. When they've decided they want you, then it's way more hassle to interview again than it is to enter into a dialogue with someone they already know they want! I actually turned down a job and then negotiated it to being part time working from home, pick the hours to suit me (it was full time in an office over an hour's commute from me) - they came back to me and seriously wanted me for the job so entered into the dialogue at that point. There was a reason for this BTW - I didn't just apply for a job which didn't fit what I wanted to do, that would be crazy!

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Yes, you should. Either mention it at the end, or if they haven't given a timescale for letting people know, weave it into a question about timescales.

Also, have a couple of questions prepared for the panel - one of my favourites is 'if you were to offer me the job, where would you see me in 5 years time?' This is a good one because a) it shows you see yourself sticking with the job long term, and b) it tells you how they treat their staff in terms of training, promotion, turnover etc. If they don't have an answer for this, be aware it means they probably don't routinely invest in their staff. That may well not be a problem for you, but it's something worth knowing IMO!

I am sure you know this, but absolutely no questions about Ts&Cs/hours/pay/breaks/holiday etc during the interview. Once you've been offered the job is the time to ask this stuff and to negotiate anything you want (like, for example, certain shift patterns). When they're still deciding, asking this stuff comes across really badly. When they've decided they want you, then it's way more hassle to interview again than it is to enter into a dialogue with someone they already know they want! I actually turned down a job and then negotiated it to being part time working from home, pick the hours to suit me (it was full time in an office over an hour's commute from me) - they came back to me and seriously wanted me for the job so entered into the dialogue at that point. There was a reason for this BTW - I didn't just apply for a job which didn't fit what I wanted to do, that would be crazy!

I was going to go for something like that and also something like 'what are the traits of your ideal staff member?'.

If they call me back and offer I'll try and push for midweek shifts, but there's not much negotiation on any of that stuff in retail. If they ask today what I'd prefer I'll say I'm happy to work whatever hours they need me for but I have certain preferences.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I just got done with a round of interviews of prospective applicants for a job in our company. While all of them were qualified (this was the second round of interviews) the ones that really stood out were the ones who talked why they LIKED the field.

My advice is that if you have an opening to bring it up, tell the interviewer why you find retail fulfilling as a job. What do you find interesting and awesome and why do you want to learn as much as you can? I want someone who will want to learn and improve--not just punch a clock.

Excitement will win the day. Every time. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My advice is that if you have an opening to bring it up, tell the interviewer why you find retail fulfilling as a job. What do you find interesting and awesome and why do you want to learn as much as you can? I want someone who will want to learn and improve--not just punch a clock.

Excitement will win the day. Every time. :)

Exactly :)

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I have anxiety too. Keep reminding yourself that it's just an interview, not life and death. And remind yourself that they are hoping for good people to show up for the interview, so they are going to want to like you!

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Well, I think it went well. If they want me to come back for a more in-depth thing they'll call me tomorrow. Otherwise I didn't make it. There were tons of people showing up so I won't feel too bad if they don't want me.

Thanks for the help, guys!

HNaro

Registered
Reaction score
Glad it went well! I hope you get called back and your job pursuit is resolved soon. If not, don't worry because you'll have gotten your feet wet. I've found that simple experience really calmed me and helped me with my next effort.