• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Writer's block

Status
Not open for further replies.

AsianAuthor94

Asian Author
Registered
Reaction score
That is a phase where most writers have encountered. I am also in the same predicament right now. Any advice on how to get passed it? I desperately want to write but nothing comes out of my head

FantasticF

Going Ham
Registered
Reaction score
I think it is different for everyone. Some people never even get writer's block.

If I have that problem, I simply step away for a while.

I have a cup of coffee, a cigarette, and sit outside.

I'm a night guy and love being outside just to gaze into the stars above.

Things like that motivate me personally.

You could also try to read, watch a movie, go for a walk, or even take a nap.

Trial and error my friend. Try it and if it doesn't work, try something else.

Good luck!

MadMax

Banned
Reaction score
That is a phase where most writers have encountered. I am also in the same predicament right now. Any advice on how to get passed it? I desperately want to write but nothing comes out of my head

There is a forum above on the front page of this forum devoted to writer's block.

There is a good thread I just bumped there called something like "the beast article I have seen on writer's block."

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
- go for a walk or a run with no distraction. I find this helps ideas spark.
- put some music on and let it inspire you.
- brainstorm.
- ask yourself the 'story' questions: What does my MC want? What is standing in their way? How can they overcome that obstacle? What are the stakes?

And yes, check out the writers block forum. That can be useful.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Outwitting Writer's Block forum referred to above is where you'll find the support and help you seek.

Go back one page from here, and check above the threads listing for this basic Writing Questions Forum.

Last edited:

MadMax

Banned
Reaction score
I just found a cool little way of thinking about writing that makes sense to me that could help with writer's block.. there is a list of them there...

http://flavorwire.com/343207/13-famous-writers-on-overcoming-writers-block/8/

“Many years ago, I met John Steinbeck at a party in Sag Harbor, and told him that I had writer’s block. And he said something which I’ve always remembered, and which works. He said, “Pretend that you’re writing not to your editor or to an audience or to a readership, but to someone close, like your sister, or your mother, or someone that you like.” And at the time I was enamored of Jean Seberg, the actress, and I had to write an article about taking Marianne Moore to a baseball game, and I started it off, “Dear Jean . . . ,” and wrote this piece with some ease, I must say. And to my astonishment that’s the way it appeared in Harper’s Magazine. “Dear Jean . . .” Which surprised her, I think, and me, and very likely Marianne Moore.” — John Steinbeck by way of George Plimpton

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
There is a forum above on the front page of this forum devoted to writer's block.

There is a good thread I just bumped there called something like "the beast article I have seen on writer's block."

This is why I stay away from there, it tends to be a bit wild...

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Change in scenary helps too. If you always write at your computer at home, break that and just try writing (the old way, lol) outside or at the mall or library or the park or something.

You can also do some short writing too to warm up like a poem or flash fiction or your outline, notes even? Just something else to spark your interest.

PrincessFiona

Registered
Reaction score
I also take a break from writing on my manuscript if I find I'm suffering from Writer's Block. I usually use the time to work on ideas about finding book reviewers, fine-tune formatting and editing, and make other decisions (like cover art) about my work. As long as I am working on my text in some way, I feel I am not 'losing time'. This is also a good time to work on basic writing exercises. If I really am struggling, I might spend 10 minutes doing a power-write or free association to loosen myself up in a no pressure atmosphere.

Kris

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And that's why there's a separate sub-Forum for the writer's block issue.

Ghosts of the Maze

Registered
Reaction score
I drink enough to get buzzed and not enough to get drunk. But you might not be of drinking age, so do what you will with that advice.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score

First, confirm that it isn't simple procrastination.

Try this: For 15 or 30 minutes every day, sit at the computer or writing pad and copy passages from writers you like. If you have a sudden idea of something to write down of your own, change files and write your own stuff. As soon as you find yourself blocked again, go back to copying passages.

What you are doing, is punishing your subconscious mind for not behaving. It should soon learn to produce for you on demand. Along the way, you may pick up writing tips from the authors you copy from.

The length of time depends on how much time you can spare every day. Be sure to choose a realistic time that you can stay with every single day, unless the house is on fire.

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Don't treat writer's block with alcohol. It's not a sustainable long-term strategy, and the later stages get ugly.

Best methods I know:

1. Every day, ideally at the same time, apply butt to chair, and make a commitment to keep it there for a certain length of time. A couple of hours is good. Do not have any amusements or distractions within your field of vision. If your only writing space includes a window, invest in heavy curtains or opaque blinds. Do not play music. Turn off the internet. You don't have to write, but you're not allowed to do anything else until your time is up. When you're bored enough, you'll probably think of something to say.

2. Same as #1, but you also type words rapidly and without stopping. If "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" is all you can think of, type that. Type anything that comes into your head. Keep going. Keep going. Keep going. Sooner or later your brain will get bored by all the randomness and come up with something more interesting to type.

3. Especially good for essays and other nonfiction: if you can't describe a city block, pick out one building and describe that. Still having trouble? One wall of that building. Still having trouble? Pick out one single brick and describe that. Et cetera. Somewhere along the line you'll hit the right gauge and get traction.

4. As a more general statement of #3: it's easier to write about the specific and particular than the abstract and general. Start from specifics and let the larger abstractions grow out of that.

5. Planning to write and researching what you're planning to write are not writing.

6. Don't think about writing. Don't think about thinking about writing. Especially don't think about thinking about thinking about writing. While you're at it, stop going back and reworking the third paragraph from wherever the bottom is right now. Just write. Move forward. Trust that the language and your subject will bear you up; that you will not sink. Write much. After a week or two, assess what you have and cut it down to the usable parts. Continue moving forward.

Last edited:

FantasticF

Going Ham
Registered
Reaction score
Don't treat writer's block with alcohol. It's not a sustainable long-term strategy, and the later stages get ugly.

Best methods I know:

1. Every day, ideally at the same time, apply butt to chair, and make a commitment to keep it there for a certain length of time. A couple of hours is good. Do not have any amusements or distractions within your field of vision. If your only writing space includes a window, invest in heavy curtains or opaque blinds. Do not play music. Turn off the internet. You don't have to write, but you're not allowed to do anything else until your time is up. When you're bored enough, you'll probably think of something to say.

2. Same as #1, but you also type words rapidly and without stopping. If "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" is all you can think of, type that. Type anything that comes into your head. Keep going. Keep going. Keep going. Sooner or later your brain will get bored by all the randomness and come up with something more interesting to type.

3. Especially good for essays and other nonfiction: if you can't describe a city block, pick out one building and describe that. Still having trouble? One wall of that building. Still having trouble? Pick out one single brick and describe that. Et cetera. Somewhere along the line you'll hit the right gauge and get traction.

4. As a more general statement of #3: it's easier to write about the specific and particular than the abstract and general. Start from specifics and let the larger abstractions grow out of that.

5. Planning to write and researching what you're planning to write are not writing.

6. Don't think about writing. Don't think about thinking about writing. Especially don't think about thinking about thinking about writing. While you're at it, stop going back and reworking the third paragraph from wherever the bottom is right now. Just write. Move forward. Trust that the language and your subject will bear you up; that you will not sink. Write much. After a week or two, assess what you have and cut it down to the usable parts. Continue moving forward.

Great advice! Aside from not drinking alcohol ;)

I stay away from liquor for the most part though but...

A few cold beers never hurt anyone especially if it is a Heineken.

chickenma

Registered
Reaction score
My butt's in my chair and my computer's up and I'm supposed to be writing a blog for my boss. Instead I'm here. Sigh...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My butt's in my chair and my computer's up and I'm supposed to be writing a blog for my boss. Instead I'm here. Sigh...

Here's an idea - say hello in the newbie thread, and then work for an hour on the boss's blog. By the time the hour is up, there should be a whole lot of messages for you in Newbie. See? Carrot and stick. (But not too much stick... ;) )

Last edited:

saizine

follow your bliss
Registered
Reaction score
The two things that really work for me:

1) Switching from typing on a screen to pen and paper.
2) Saving my MS, closing the document, stepping back and not going back to it until I've had some sleep (either a night's rest or a nap).

Both of these allow me to put some space between myself and my work when I'm getting too deep to really think properly. But then again, I've not really had writer's block that stops me from writing completely for a while. I generally write every day, even if it is only a hundred or so words, so if you're battling a block that's a little more persistent you might not find just switching off for a few hours helpful.

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
stop forcing it
---

Ding ding ding! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I love this reply...and I write by it, too. I always think "What if" which drives the plot and/or character, and at the risk of sounding Star Wars-ish--and I have come to loathe the entire series--I let the work flow through me. You can't hurry love and you can't hurry your work. It has to come from you and through you. You push things, you seize up, you seize up, you get blocked.

Sorta like constipation only not as bad.

Just relax, step away from the computer for a bit, and watch life all around you. At my age (51) I still love watching clouds and believe it or not, they've given me a lot of ideas. You'll find what works for you once you learn to let your mind go free and contemplate the 'all' that is around us. From the 'all' you'll find the 'one'--your idea.

pyrosama

Pyrosama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
matrix-hole.blogspot.com

This might sound a bit lame, but try writing a break up letter to your writer's block. :D

It was a writing prompt I stumbled across last month. My letter was fun to write, very short. But it inspired me to get beyond the temporary block and I did manage to squeeze out another chapter!

Status
Not open for further replies.