PDA

View Full Version : Delivery companies! (rant)

Anninyn
09-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Specifically - Yodel. Yodel, who got such bad press they had to change their name.

YODEL.

Yodel are athe free delivery option for many online stores shipping to the UK. Their business model involves outsourcing their deliveries to anyone with a car.

I'm sure there are many dedicated and hardworking Yodel drivers. I am equally sure a good lot of them are lazy, incompetent or even thieves.

OK. This is not my first run-in with Yodel. They once failed to deliver a book - for which I'd paid for next day delivery - for nearly ten days despite regular phone calls.

This time it's my cat food.

I am really picky over what we feed the cats. They are equally picky about taste and texture. The combination means I tend to buy premium brands in bulk from online.

We put an order in for some food on wednesday evening. At that point, we still had a few cans left. Enough to feed them for a few days. Thursday afternoon, we were told it'd been dispatched. I figured it'd show friday. Maybe monday.

They attempted to deliver saturday. We were out. No biggie. They said they'd try to redeliver monday. OK. We're ok with that.

Except that monday came, I stayed in all day despire plans to go running with a friend, and nothing showed. We checked the site. They claimed they'd attempted delivery.

I was in all day. I only moved from the living room to go to the toilet. They didn't try.

Apparently it's out for delivery again today. I don't hold out much hope. We're all out of food except for a single can of something they hate. I have a recruitment day tomorrow and can't stay in all day for that. Apparently they can deliver up till 9pm tonight so we can't even go anywhere till after dark.

I am slightly irritated.

Sophia
09-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Yup, done the staying in all day waiting for a delivery thing from them, several times, for three or more days in a row. Their on-line tracking claims they've tried to deliver a couple of times, while I've been there. They lie. I have stood at the window watching for the van, to see if they go to a similar-looking address nearby. Packages delivered by Yodel have almost always been partly open.

Slightly irritated. Yup, I know exactly what you mean.

alleycat
09-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Can you opt for delivery without signature there? Delivery companies here have gotten very casual about signatures here. They rarely knock on the door and ask for one any more; they just leave the package on my front porch, even if I'm at home.

Anninyn
09-03-2013, 02:01 PM
It's not the signature - it's far too big to go through the letter box. I wouldn't want them to leave my stuff on my front doorstep. This is a nice area, but like all places it has its share of dicks and I don't have an enclosed garden or anything like that.

The signature isn't the issue. I don't think they even tried to deliver yesterday. I think they stuck it in the car and thought it was too much effort. It's what happened with my book.

Yodel are terrible, but they're cheap so loads of places use them.

alleycat
09-03-2013, 02:08 PM
I don't think we have any major delivery companies here that uses the Yodel model. I hope they don't start from the sound of it.

Anninyn
09-03-2013, 02:20 PM
I don't think we have any major delivery companies here that uses the Yodel model. I hope they don't start from the sound of it.

In order to be a driver for Yodel you need... a clean drivers license and a car.

Because it's a franchise any single individual can set themselves up. They get the deliveries and ship them out.

From what I can tell the Yodel delivery lot in our area is four people. There's the good one who is quick and efficient and pleasant and who I always hope to get. There are two average people who at least get the job done.

And then there's the other one. He just shoves packages in his car any old how, frequently delivering them half open, or damaged. It's about 50/50 whether he'll show up at all.

I did just get my delivery. It was the good one, again, who must have been elsewhere yesterday.

I used to live the other side of the city and whoever was the main Yodel driver for there was an outright thief and liar. Packages were late half the time, and just "missing" ten percent of the time.

Caitlin Black
09-04-2013, 01:37 AM
Wow, I'm glad we don't have them down here!

Down here, it doesn't matter what site I order from, it gets delivered by an Australia Post person in a van. Weird thing is, my last online purchase got delivered on a Saturday, when the Post doesn't normally run. I'm not sure what was up with that, but it made me happy. :)

Maybe I should send some Australia Post van people over to the UK for you? :)

Torgo
09-04-2013, 01:52 AM
Old Hack has had a few run-ins with Yodel. Watching her take them to task on Twitter is riveting.

Stlight
09-04-2013, 02:33 AM
Can you get someone else to deliver if you pay for delivery? I mean it sounds as though paying would be worth it. Especially if they won't admit to losing stuff and replacing what's lost.

Anninyn
09-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Can you get someone else to deliver if you pay for delivery? I mean it sounds as though paying would be worth it. Especially if they won't admit to losing stuff and replacing what's lost.

Sometimes. Some sites offer you a choice - free is Yodel, a couple of quid gets you someone else.

Sadly plenty of sites do NOT offer you that choice and use Yodel even for paid delivery.

Lavern08
09-04-2013, 07:31 PM
... but like all places, it has its share of dicks

*Giggles*