Hope everyone else's Labor Day weekend is better than mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
So I was driving back home from visiting a friend in Knoxville and my clutch started acting funny - like it would refuse to be pushed down or get stuck in the "shifting" position. In the middle of freakin' Nashville it stopped working entirely. I can't shift into first when it's cranked, and can't crank it if it's in first. I spent a few terrifying minutes stuck in the middle of an intersection before a nice African-American gentleman noticed my plight, and got some firefighters from down the road to push my ass into a parking lot.

It is hotter than Hades outside, my people are on the way but it'll be an hour before they get here, and oh yeah - someone, not naming names, let the AAA membership expire.

I need a beer. But for now I would settle for nice or funny comments from all y'all.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, it could be worse. I could've been t-boned at the intersection. As it was there were some, shall we say, unkind and aggressive drivers that probably have things they need to work out in-group.

Grateful to those firefighters, for sure.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
got some firefighters from down the road to push my ass into a parking lot.

That there is a nice mental picture. :)

(I'm thinking it's American vernacular. Or is that something your firemen do...?)

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had that happen...

Luckily it happened at the top of a hill, so we managed to roll down into a turn lane and get off the main road, at least. Transmission was fucked. Nice and expensive to fix. :(

Then, because we were teenagers at the time, we got out of the car and danced to N Sync in a hospital parking lot until someone came and got us. Because that's just what you do.

...Do you have N Sync with you?

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to Nashville!

Enjoy your stay. Buy some souvenirs.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you guys for making me LOL.

No N'Sync, unfortunately, but the firemen were nice enough to bring their own fine asses, so it's all good.

My spouse just showed up so now I am headed to acquire Memphis-style comfort food, before I acquire comforting beverages.

Peace out y'all!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe your car just decided to take the day off for Labor Day?

If you ask me, I think you should complain to the Automobiles Union.

But hey, at least there were firemen.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I trust that by now you've found a suitable adult beverage. Tomorrow can only go uphill.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for visiting. Please come again.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe your car just decided to take the day off for Labor Day?

If you ask me, I think you should complain to the Automobiles Union.

That's it! Damn unions. It's always their fault!.

But hey, at least there were firemen.
Your friendly pot-bellied tow-truck driver woulda done the same, *and* charged you $70 for it, since the AAA was expired.

Anyway, hope you got home alright, Yorkist. If that car is more than 5 years old, junk it. Cheaper than fixing most transmissions these days.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
got some firefighters from down the road to push my ass into a parking lot.

Did they let you wear one of their fire helmets while they were pushing the car? That would have been very cool, IMHO.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Will do, Alleycat. I just discovered my new Nashville love, the Belcourt Theatre. If I could afford it, I'd be there every weekend.

Ah, yes. It's very nice. Various film festivals are held there.

Then you can go for coffee at Bongo Java.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
Did they let you wear one of their fire helmets while they were pushing the car? That would have been very cool, IMHO.

Drat! I forgot to ask.

That's it! Damn unions. It's always their fault!.

Your friendly pot-bellied tow-truck driver woulda done the same, *and* charged you $70 for it, since the AAA was expired.

Anyway, hope you got home alright, Yorkist. If that car is more than 5 years old, junk it. Cheaper than fixing most transmissions these days.

I'm home and got a beer in my hand. Couldn't be better.

I've got an '06 Subaru Forester. Trying to figure out what to do. I've really been wanting a muscle car with ergonomic old man seats, but not sure if we can afford it. I am done with bullshit "practical cars." Dodge Challenger? I want something with eight cylinders for once.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I've got an '06 Subaru Forester. Trying to figure out what to do. I've really been wanting a muscle car with ergonomic old man seats, but not sure if we can afford it. I am done with bullshit "practical cars." Dodge Challenger? I want something with eight cylinders for once.

You see my ride in my avatar. Needs work, but that 5.0 rumble makes me smile every single day. And a convertible as well.

I own a freakin' Mustang. :drool
:e2teeth:

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
Rob, what I really, really want to do is restore either a late 1960's Olds or Buick Riviera. (Really, those cars were cool before the late seventies or so.) But that's too big of a project for now.

I was looking into Challengers a few weeks ago, and I got the impression that you have to buy the upgrade x2 edition to get it in a stick shift. This I consider one of the lamest things ever. Who buys a Dodge Challenger with an automatic transmission? No one I want to be friends with.

(I hope your car isn't an automatic. Don't wanna hurt your feelings. :))

Status
Not open for further replies.