Anchor and cathead

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Hey everyone, just a quick question.

I've been reading about how an anchor was hauled up to the ship, and it has to do with a beam called the cathead which projects out from one side of the bow, supports the anchor once it's out of the water, and holds the anchor away from the hull.

It will work really well for the final fight in my WIP if the cathead breaks and the anchor drops, but is that all there is to it? Does anything more need to be done to have the anchor dropping unexpectedly?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
From Mr. Lily: He believes the wheel upon which sailors wind up the anchor chain is called the windlass. That has a cog with teeth so the anchor doesn't drop. If that cog breaks, then the anchor plummets into the water. Otherwise, if that cog holds, the anchor will just drop the distance of the broken cathead.

He is not an expert, so please verify this. :)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
From Mr. Lily: He believes the wheel upon which sailors wind up the anchor chain is called the windlass. That has a cog with teeth so the anchor doesn't drop. If that cog breaks, then the anchor plummets into the water. Otherwise, if that cog holds, the anchor will just drop the distance of the broken cathead.

He is not an expert, so please verify this. :)

Thanks for the response, Mr. Lily and Calla, will verify.

I knew there was some mechanism used to haul up the anchor, but for some reason I thought it was the capstan, and did not have a cog with teeth in mind. Though if this is the case, my antagonist, who wants to make the anchor drop, could smash the cog and then maybe edge out onto the already-damaged cathead so his weight does the rest of the work.

Back to research!

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
A windlass is a type of winch. A capstan is a revolving cylinder for use in a winch. Same thing, just different names. Capstan is the more commonly used one for the anchor. Poles were inserted against which the sailors pushed, walking slowly around the capstan. Cogs would hold the anchor in place as it was raised.

Cathead provided the lower support against which the anchor rested. Anchor was then lashed into place during voyages. If the lashings broke, the anchor would then start swinging from the anchor chain. One side of a ship would be windward, and the anchor would swing out. The other side of the ship is leeward, and the anchor would swing in. (This is due to the heeling action of a sailing vessel.)

The swinging back and forth is the problem. As you go over waves, and wind pressure changes, a swinging object gyrates in different planes. In certain positions, it bangs against the hull. Give it some time, and it will hammer its way through the hull. That's the danger of the anchor breaking loose.

Were the cogs to let loose at the same time as the anchor broke loose would result in the anchor dropping, running out the anchor chain (or more like a cable or rope). If the anchor chain is not tethered to the ship, it would just run out and you'd lose the anchor. No big deal. If the anchor is tethered to the ship, in deep water it would hit the tether and stop, and you'd have to winch it back up. It would be only if the anchor dropped and grabbed the bottom that you'd have problems. Depending upon the wind and speed of the boat, totally wrecking the boat is a big probability.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Here is a link to a page with some photos of an accurate model of the HMS Victory's anchor capstan and associated equipment. Please note the relative distances (plus most of the capstan being below decks) that you need to take into account for any action sequences you are writing.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
A windlass is a type of winch. A capstan is a revolving cylinder for use in a winch. Same thing, just different names. Capstan is the more commonly used one for the anchor. Poles were inserted against which the sailors pushed, walking slowly around the capstan. Cogs would hold the anchor in place as it was raised.

Thanks, Jim, it's good to know I wasn't too far off.

Were the cogs to let loose at the same time as the anchor broke loose would result in the anchor dropping, running out the anchor chain (or more like a cable or rope).
That's pretty much what I want to have happen. Not sure yet whether I want the anchor to be lost or not... maybe lost would work, since the ship sets off shortly afterwards and won't stop until the end.

What's happening is that the antagonist wants to destroy a submersile that's approached the ship, and the only way he can do so is to drop the anchor. So I think it could work, as long as he finds a way to smash the winch.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Note, a competent crew would tie the anchor off, just in case. Even on a modern boat, the mechanism for winding the anchor can skip in a storm or if it takes a shock. I'd imagine it would take quite a shock to knock the anchor chain off the teeth on that size of ship, but it could happen.

Also, AFAIK, the cathead would not have to break for the anchor to fall. It's only to keep the anchor off the hull, not stop it from playing out, but I am no expert on old-timey ships.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
You're making this a lot more complicated then you need to.

The anchor is held in place by lashings and the last pawl used in lifting the anchor. Release the lashings, let the last pawl go, and the anchor will slide right down. That's what it's designed to do when anchoring. Lowering the anchor is simply a matter of letting the anchor drop. You might restrict the speed it plays out at, but the phrase "dropping your anchor," means exactly that.

Cutting the lashings involves hanging over the side of the ship, so you get some action there.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Note: If the anchor is meant to catch, please don't have this scene take place in the middle of the open ocean. In a book I'm reading now a ship was anchored out of sight of land with no explanation. There is a finite amount of chain you can carry and open ocean is generally very deep.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
From Duncan's wonderful link, 120 fathoms (720 feet) of anchor cable weighs 7 tons. That would be about the limit of what you'd want for cable. With that length, you can drop an anchor in about 150 feet of water and stand a reasonable chance of staying put in good weather. (Bad weather requires that you lay out more cable. The flatter the cable is to the ocean bottom, the better it will hook.) Depending upon how the floor of the ocean shoals, 150 feet of water might be 150 feet from shore.

Anchoring in deep water is done using a sea anchor, which is an entirely different thing. It doesn't really anchor you, but limits how much you drift and the orientation of the boat.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
The anchor is held in place by lashings and the last pawl used in lifting the anchor. Release the lashings, let the last pawl go, and the anchor will slide right down. That's what it's designed to do when anchoring. Lowering the anchor is simply a matter of letting the anchor drop. You might restrict the speed it plays out at, but the phrase "dropping your anchor," means exactly that.

That sounds do-able. I was thinking of the villain having to edge out over the cathead like he was walking the plank, but as you said, cutting the lashings is action enough - and a lot more feasible than smashing the winch, breaking the cathead, etc.

I'm going to try to do that scene tomorrow.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Note: If the anchor is meant to catch, please don't have this scene take place in the middle of the open ocean.

No, it's fairly close to land. Even I know you can't anchor a ship in the middle of the ocean. :)

What I hope to happen is for the anchor to fall and break the submersile, but also pin the submersile to the sea bed, so its remains can be retrieved later. That would definitely not be happening in the ocean.