PDA

View Full Version : THINGS I DISLIKE* ABOUT SEPTEMBER...

Lavern08
09-01-2013, 11:55 PM
*(Yeah, I decided to change HATE to DISLIKE - Hate is such an awful word, don'tcha think?)

...Ragweed!!! :flag:

Jehhillenberg
09-02-2013, 12:05 AM
CLASSES/SCHOOL begins.

HEAT.

:)

And "hate" is a rather strong word, Verny. But...it's so fitting in my case :D

Chase
09-02-2013, 12:36 AM
What's not to like about the saner hours of the day when most kids 5-17 are being educated babysat?

I like September. It's the only month I know the number of days:

"Thirty days hath September;
All the rest I can't remember."

I also like Jehhillenberg's avatars.

alleycat
09-02-2013, 12:43 AM
I like September. It's the only month I know the number of days:

"Thirty days hath September;
All the rest I can't remember."

Use the old knuckle trick. Start with the knuckle of either your index or little finger--that is January, count the months using the knuckles and the space between; when you get to the end, start again (counting that knuckle twice, in other words). Each knuckle is a month with 31 days, each space in between is a month with less than 31 days.

Or . . . just look at a calendar.

alleycat
09-02-2013, 12:49 AM
I think the only thing I dislike about September is the fact that another summer is gone. We only get so many in our life.

Oh, I suppose I might dislike September now because that's when the TV networks will bring us more creative reality shows. I can't imagine a better way to spend my life than watching people trying to climb a pole while being sprayed with soapy water or dancing the paso doble. Such excitement.

Chase
09-02-2013, 01:19 AM
I think the only thing I dislike about September is the fact that another summer is gone. We only get so many in our life.

I understand completely. I have the same feeling about autumns. They're never long enough, and there are way too few.

Reality shows are terrific to boost the sale of DVDs and Blu-Rays.

By the way, :ty: again for all the smileys.

Xelebes
09-02-2013, 02:46 AM
It's been 10 years since I've been in school and I still make that annual switch where my sleeping pattern is disturbed and enter at least temporarily a pattern where I go to bed at 10 pm and wake up at 6 am. Grrrr.

Caitlin Black
09-02-2013, 03:13 AM
Use the old knuckle trick. Start with the knuckle of either your index or little finger--that is January, count the months using the knuckles and the space between; when you get to the end, start again (counting that knuckle twice, in other words). Each knuckle is a month with 31 days, each space in between is a month with less than 31 days.

That's how I remember it. :)

September? It's a fairly neutral month for me. Well, okay, it's getting warmer, as winter just ended. It's good for a few days, but I'll be well and truly sick of it within a few months.

That's all I've got.

vagough
09-02-2013, 06:02 PM
September is the month of our last beach vacation. After this week, no more beach visits until next year. (Sniff.)

Snowstorm
09-02-2013, 06:13 PM
The final days of Labor Day weekend when all the ATV and dirt bike &^%$#*@s feel the need to get in their last backnforthbacknforthbacknforthbacknforthbacknforth backnforth on the dirt road in our tiny town right in front of my house despite the fact a stone's throw away is hundreds of thousands of wilderness acreage just waiting for them to trash it.

Brightdreamer
09-02-2013, 09:13 PM
So far, nothing.

It's my birthday month, a really cruddy summer's almost over, and I get to laugh at kids going back to school. What's not to like?

heyjude
09-02-2013, 10:18 PM
I miss my kids when they're in school. That's pretty much all I got.

Mclesh
09-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Aw, HeyJude. That's sweet.

It's too hot.

Chris P
09-02-2013, 10:45 PM
STILL dry season. *blows dust out of laptop*

Haggis
09-02-2013, 11:06 PM
And the days dwindle down to a precious few. September...November....

Kylabelle
09-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Pretty soon there will be no more fresh cilantro in the produce section.

:(

Caitlin Black
09-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Oh, and with the heat come the bugs. Ack!

Flies and ants and midges and moths are multiplying like crazy and getting all up in my face. Go away bugs!

Haggis
09-03-2013, 02:13 AM
Pretty soon there will be no more fresh cilantro in the produce section.

:(

:e2teeth:

Anninyn
09-03-2013, 02:16 AM
Slugs. I don't know why, but my home area fills with slugs in september.

I don't mind. I've always quite liked the creatures. It's the sad squelch when you tread on one that I don't like.

Also my cats brought the same slug in twice today.

EarlyBird
09-03-2013, 02:18 AM
My birthday. Another year older. [Wouldn't be so bad if no one kept track.]

Duchessmary
09-03-2013, 03:45 AM
It's one of the hottest months around these parts. :e2chain:

Kylabelle
09-03-2013, 03:46 AM
:e2teeth:

:D

I hear they have cilantro ice cream now.

Haggis
09-03-2013, 03:57 AM
:D

I hear they have cilantro ice cream now.
:gaah

Ican'thearyouIcan'thearyouIcan'thearyouIcan'theary ou Ican'thearyouIcan'thearyou.

cornetto
09-03-2013, 06:26 AM
We have 10 greenhouses at work. All get a thick coating of shade compound (similar to whitewash) at the beginning of summer to keep the buildings cooler. In a couple of weeks, we will have to start washing all that stuff off the greenhouses to let in more light. Then we have to scrub the insides to get rid of algae on the walls. Then I give the poinsettias their first spacing.

And it's hot.

And the ragweed is superfreakin' bad this year.

Brightdreamer
09-03-2013, 09:26 AM
I don't mind. I've always quite liked the creatures. It's the sad squelch when you tread on one that I don't like.

It's not just the sound. I know from experience that it's possible for the juice from a trodden-upon slug to hit your glasses.

(And, yes, I was barefoot at the time.)

vagough
09-03-2013, 02:16 PM
It's not just the sound. I know from experience that it's possible for the juice from a trodden-upon slug to hit your glasses.

:eek:

Ken
09-03-2013, 02:26 PM
... that thanksgiving is still so long away.

Anninyn
09-03-2013, 02:40 PM

:tmi:

Gross gross gross gross

Chris1981
09-03-2013, 03:33 PM

Ick.

And then you had to clean off your glasses, so double ick.

JulianneQJohnson
09-03-2013, 03:46 PM
I was trying to think of anything I dislike about September other than ragweed. Now, all I think is ick.

stormie
09-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Acorns from our pin oaks drop onto our cars.
And my head.

Stlight
09-04-2013, 12:21 AM
Crepe Myrtle

:flag:

Chase
09-04-2013, 12:46 AM
Acorns from our pin oaks drop onto our cars.
And my head.

If more than one acorn hits your head, you're too close to Br'er Squirrel's cache. As you well know, a 75 to 90 caliber acorn isn't a snowflake. :D

Lavern08
09-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Did I mention RAGWEED?

Somebody just shoot me and put me outta my misery. :cry:

PhantomMedic
09-10-2013, 12:17 AM
The days are starting to get too short.

RNJ
09-10-2013, 12:48 AM
No more holidays after Labor Day until Thanksgiving. Halloween doesn't count since I don't get off work.

alleycat
09-10-2013, 01:18 AM
No more holidays after Labor Day until Thanksgiving.

You're obviously not a government employee.

Stlight
09-10-2013, 06:19 AM
Did I mention RAGWEED?

Somebody just shoot me and put me outta my misery. :cry:

How can you see the numbers? My bookkeeping got interesting during pollen, but there wasn't as much crepe myrtle when I was pushing numbers. - one squinty red eyed woman to another.

There is an up side this year, someone planted hay in the ragweed field at the end of the street and they mowed it into big round bales.

This can't be the hay in hay fever, can it?

Lavern08
09-10-2013, 07:53 PM
How can you see the numbers?

Reading glasses and lots of Hazelnut Coffee. ;)

Anninyn
09-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Rain. Freezing rain. Never-ending freezing rain.

It's now been raining for a day and a half. The rest of the week looks to continue the trend. Summer is gone. Fare well, Summer. You were good while you were here.

Myrealana
09-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Getting older.

That part doesn't bother me so much, really. It's better than the alternative.

What bugs me is people who want to make a big deal out of it. I don't want a special dinner, or a cake, or even gifts. Let's just all go about our business, kay?

Lavern08
09-10-2013, 08:21 PM
.... I don't want a special dinner, or a cake, or even gifts. Let's just all go about our business, kay?

Are you kidding me?????

I start "dropping hints" about my birthday at least a month in advance.

I mean seriously? Who doesn't like a free Dinner, Cake and Gifts??? :D

Caitlin Black
09-11-2013, 12:00 AM
I'll take the free dinner and gifts, but you can keep the cake. I'm on a diet. :)

Actually, it's very rare that the family will bring out a cake for someone's birthday. Usually they're reserved for the "big" events, like 60th or 80th birthdays, 40th wedding anniversaries, etc.

And lately, most of my "gifts" for birthday or Christmas have been cash (at my request). :tongue The thing is, if a potential present is cheap enough to be a gift, I can buy it at my own leisure whenever I feel like. If it's too expensive, then I need cash from multiple people to afford it - nobody's going to spend $200 on a birthday present in this family, y'know?

:)

/derail

Okay. September! It's grandad's birthday in a week. This isn't something I *dislike*, but it's the only birthday in September in my family, so I thought I'd mention it. I've already got the presents sorted out. :)