PDA

View Full Version : Top of the Lake

CrastersBabies
09-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Finished marathon-watching this today on Netflix. I really thought it was well done. Very . . . what's the word . . . dark. Elizabeth Moss was truly amazing, as was Peter Mullan.

Trailer is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkSfUYoiRM0

I imagine if you liked the Killing, you'll like this - but be warned, it's not for the faint of heart.

In terms of pacing, the miniseries (7 episodes on Netflix) takes its time unfolding, but has some wonkiness near the end. Perfectly okay in my mind as the acting and overall "feel" for the movie far outweighed any petty quibbles for me.

Orangetober
09-01-2013, 08:07 PM
My wife and I added it to our queue after coming across it on Elizabeth Moss' IMDB page but haven't watched it yet. Haven't seen The Killing but is it similar to anything else?

CrastersBabies
09-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Orange, that's a hard one. The Killing had that same dark feeling to it. I get shows like House of Cards, Hannibal, and Homeland under the "People who liked Top of the Lake also liked . . ." section.

I'd compare it to Mad Men as well and not just because Elizabeth Moss is in it. It has that understated feel at times, but it's not empty. There's a lot going on beneath the surface.

It's dark, though. Intense, and there are some scenes that really unsettled me in terms of graphic content (violence-related). It's very "Jane Campion" if you are familiar with her work, though this is my favorite of hers, hands down.