PDA

View Full Version : Full MSS requested: how eager should I be?

J.H. Stevenson
09-01-2013, 12:38 AM
I received my first Full MSS request a little while ago. The agent told me they'd be looking at work in the genre I submitted "in September". Well, lookie there. It's September tomorrow.

How quick off the bat should I be? I've never had a callback like that, so I don't know if I should be sending it tomorrow at 9am (bearing in mind that it's a Sunday on a holiday weekend), or if agents prefer getting things mid-week, or on Friday so they can read over the weekend...or (I somewhat suspect) there really is no common protocol, and I need to stop worrying about minutiae and just send the thing.

Any advice or suggestions would be warmly received.

C.R. Baker
09-01-2013, 12:57 AM
I suspect you are overthinking this.

Sending it on Sunday is fine, or Tuesday after the holiday weekend is fine. The degree to which they like or don't like your book probably has nothing to do with the precise date you send it.

C.R.

mellymel
09-01-2013, 01:38 AM
Ditto, C.R. If they love the book and offer rep, it will have nothing to do with which day you sent it but the fact that your story and writing rocked their socks.

Send that mofo.

buz
09-01-2013, 01:56 AM
Just send it. Agents read stuff in the order they get it, when they have time to read it. Their reading times are not dependent on when you send it, except insofar as they can't read it *until* you do so. So it doesn't really matter, as long as you send it. Soon.

Only Stronger
09-01-2013, 02:11 AM
Congratulations! I imagine your MS will go to the bottom of the "requested" stack upon receipt, so as long as you send it within a few days, you will probably be fine. Some tips I read state that you should not send it Certified or Registered mail, as these are signs of amateurism. It's also best not to make a big deal about the work being copyrighted. No reputable agent or editor is going to try to steal your work.

Good Luck!!

J.H. Stevenson
09-01-2013, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the pointers, chaps. I suspected I was overthinking things, but the whole process has felt like the sort of dinner party where you've no idea what spoons to use. I'd hate to plunge my soup spoon into some well-meaning agent's trifle.

Tazlima
09-01-2013, 06:35 AM
It sounds like you're concerned that you'll appear too eager. I wouldn't worry about that.

The job I'm at right now requires me to collect a lot of completed paperwork from our subcontractors. I spend my days doing the red-tape roundup. We owe one company about $90,000, and we can't pay them until their paperwork is completely processed. It's a total of maybe 15 minutes work, all standard industry stuff, and I've been trying for three months to get them to do it. I e-mail them exactly what we need. I even fill out everything except the signature to make their life easier. All they have to do is sign and return the forms and we'll send them their money. Apparently that's too much work. Each month they say they'll get right on it and then it never happens. I swear it's like they don't want to get paid.

In the business world I've never seen anyone complain because someone responded to their request too promptly. It's not like a first date, where you can't call too soon afterward or you'll appear over-eager. The sooner you send it, the sooner they can get cracking on their end!

Supergirlofnc
09-01-2013, 07:23 AM
I received my first Full MSS request a little while ago. The agent told me they'd be looking at work in the genre I submitted "in September". Well, lookie there. It's September tomorrow.

How quick off the bat should I be? I've never had a callback like that, so I don't know if I should be sending it tomorrow at 9am (bearing in mind that it's a Sunday on a holiday weekend), or if agents prefer getting things mid-week, or on Friday so they can read over the weekend...or (I somewhat suspect) there really is no common protocol, and I need to stop worrying about minutiae and just send the thing.

Any advice or suggestions would be warmly received.

Congrats! I think you should just send it. It shows you have it finished like you said and you're excited to potentially work with him or her. Neither of those things are bad IMO.