PDA

View Full Version : Notifying other agents of offer

WriteStarfish
08-31-2013, 12:58 AM
If you have an offer of representation, but have queries out on a different book (same genre), when you notify the other agents of the offer do you say that it's for a different book or just tell them that there's an offer? Thanks!

mellymel
08-31-2013, 01:51 AM
First of all, CONGRATULATION ON THE OFFER OF REP!

I'll be interested to hear what others say. This is why they always say to query one book at a time (unless it's in totally different genres that one group of agents don't represent).

From what I know, when you're offered rep, agents want a chance to request/put your ms to the top of the pile and read it quickly to see if it's a project they may be interested in representing as well. But what happens now if another agent is interested in representing you and your other book? Seems a bit of an awkward situation, so I'm curious to know what others will suggest.

Good luck!

WriteStarfish
08-31-2013, 01:54 AM
Thanks, so much, Mellymel, but right now it's hypothetical :)

Corinne Duyvis
08-31-2013, 01:55 AM
I was in this situation--sort of. Had an offer of publication on book A while some agents were considering book B. I notified those agents, told them about the offer. One of them promptly requested book B and ended up offering; another had already passed on book A previously and directed me to another agent in her agency; another had also passed on book A and passed on book B as well.

It's definitely going to be tricky if some agents are more interested in the one book than the other... but it can't hurt to give everyone a heads-up and see what comes of it.

Cathy C
08-31-2013, 02:00 AM
Technically speaking, an agent offers representation of a book. It's implied that the goal is to represent all of the author's works in the future (at least in the same genre). It would be rare to have an agent rep only one book and allow another agent to rep a second--unless they work for the same agency.

So if you accept the first agent's offer, I would definitely withdraw the second book from consideration with the other agents to free it up for the agent offering.

Hopefully, it will not be hypothetical for long. :)

mellymel
08-31-2013, 03:37 AM
Thanks, so much, Mellymel, but right now it's hypothetical :)

Maybe start your post with, "Let's just say..." :Shrug:

:tongue

Only Stronger
09-01-2013, 02:16 AM
I am not experienced in this area, but if you withdraw unanswered submission, I hope those agents will understand if another agent has already agreed to represent you. From a logistical standpoint, it seems that it would be easier for you to work with one agent. Of course, an agent is going to be even more enthusiastic about you, if they have an opportunity to sell more than one book.

Coupland
09-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Tell them about the offer but not that it's a different book. You can only sign with one anyway and the news of the offer may spur others on.

WriteStarfish
09-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the input. CathyC- let's hope not a hypothetical for long, yes :)