Sexual Offences Act Interpretation

InsanitySquares

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Obviously a teenage student having an affair with a teacher would be seen as being against the law - a breach of a position of trust - but does anyone know how this extends to other people that work at the school, such as a canteen worker or a janitor/caretaker?

Said student is 16, the legal age for sex in the UK, where my story is set, but I don't know how "forbidden" her relationship would be outside of it being with an older man in terms of how the law sees it.

I've looked up the relevant law, which seems to be the Sexual Offences (Amendments) Act 2000 and the Sexual Offences Act 2003, which states:

"This subsection applies if A looks after persons under 18 who are receiving education at an educational institution and B is receiving, and A is not receiving, education at that institution."

In terms of my story, B would be my 16 year old student and A a member of staff who is not a teacher.

There doesn't seem to be much precedent for relationships involving a student and a non-teacher staff member, at least not that I can find news articles on online, but if there's anyone a bit more familiar with interpreting laws than I am and could tell me whether my janitor character would fall under "looks after" category it would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards it meaning that he would be guilty of breaking the law by having a relationship with the student, but I'm not 100%.

InsanitySquares

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I've got a girl who's relocated to a new town after her parents split up, she's struggling to fit into a new school halfway through the academic year and ends up skipping class because she can't handle it. She hides in the school grounds but is found by a young janitor (early 20s) who befriends and comforts her, and they eventually end up having a relationship.

I don't particularly want him to get arrested for it, though - there's nothing predatory about him, it's more two lost souls turn to each other for support and friendship expands into love type thing. I don't particularly want him jailed or anything like that, but if that's what would happen in real life then I'm going to have to have a bit of plot tweaking to do.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I can't see too much happening to him. He has no position of responsibility over her, plus his union would raise a fuss if he were disciplined.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a girl who's relocated to a new town after her parents split up, she's struggling to fit into a new school halfway through the academic year and ends up skipping class because she can't handle it. She hides in the school grounds but is found by a young janitor (early 20s) who befriends and comforts her, and they eventually end up having a relationship.

I don't particularly want him to get arrested for it, though - there's nothing predatory about him, it's more two lost souls turn to each other for support and friendship expands into love type thing. I don't particularly want him jailed or anything like that, but if that's what would happen in real life then I'm going to have to have a bit of plot tweaking to do.

I don't know the UK statutes so don't know for sure how what you posted would be interpreted. It looks as if he could be charged, theoretically.

However, as he's 20s and they're apparently in an actual relationship, even if it were possible to charge him - who is going to, in your story? Like do you have someone who'd make a complaint for some reason?

InsanitySquares

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I don't know the UK statutes so don't know for sure how what you posted would be interpreted. It looks as if he could be charged, theoretically.

However, as he's 20s and they're apparently in an actual relationship, even if it were possible to charge him - who is going to, in your story? Like do you have someone who'd make a complaint for some reason?

I'm trying to find out who brings the cases in teacher-pupil relationships, as that's the easiest thing to find information on - if it's the parents or the local authority. If it's the former, then my character's parents wouldn't be the type to do that, but if it's the latter then I need to work out whether my janitor character would also be affected by this.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I can't see too much happening to him. He has no position of responsibility over her, plus his union would raise a fuss if he were disciplined.

He may not have a position of authority, but he would be in position of trust. The whole scenario could come under Child Protection http://www.safenetwork.org.uk/getting_started/Pages/Why_does_safeguarding_matter.aspx

If I was teaching in a school and was aware that a pupil was having what could be deemed an inappropriate relationship I would be legally bound to report the matter to the designated member of staff.

Crunchy has made a valid point - who would report him in the context of your story which might be very different from a real life situation.

The job had become vacant after the previous caretaker was dismissed for having an inappropriate relationship with a female pupil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soham_murders#Police_Reform_Act_2002

Last edited:

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out who brings the cases in teacher-pupil relationships, as that's the easiest thing to find information on - if it's the parents or the local authority. If it's the former, then my character's parents wouldn't be the type to do that, but if it's the latter then I need to work out whether my janitor character would also be affected by this.

In each school I have worked I was handed a child protection leaflet outlining the school policy and naming the members of staff who are responsible for Child Protection issues. You can see a good example of Safeguarding Policy here:http://www.eastbergholthigh.suffolk.sch.uk/SchoolPolicies click on Safeguarding Policy including Referral Protocol.

Last edited:

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
It depends - if she is under a Child Protection Order (I think that is what it is called) it might. I am not sure, but I don't think her age would necessarily be the issue but the caretakers behaviour would be.* If she is still in school then the school has a duty of care towards her. I do know that in some instances the authorities have turned a blind eye to some relationships, but that was before Soham and the law being tightened up.

*that is that his behaviour could be deemed inappropriate

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
There's a chance the school will want to keep scandal to a minimum. When I was in school (admittedly 20 years ago), this happened & the assistant was quietly asked to leave.

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
Just a thought, does the janitor have to be a janitor? I was thinking if it was someone on a "work experience/work for welfare" program (not sure what those programs are called in the UK) as a janitor's assistant I think it would be much less likely that there would be any trouble with a relationship.
I don't know the duration of such programs in the UK, but I know they can last for a year here in Norway. If the UK programs last for long enough for your story, it may make it easier to tell the story without the "legal problem" hanging in the background.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
You've got some things in this post that would concern me as a defense attorney, things likely to trigger a response by the authorities. Whether they would lead to a response is questionable, but they are concerns that I would have. Note that I don't practice in England and never have, so the mileage might vary a bit.

I've got a girl who's relocated to a new town after her parents split up, she's struggling to fit into a new school halfway through the academic year and ends up skipping class because she can't handle it. Okay, she's needy, dropping out, and should trigger concerns by teachers and administration. She's what we would call an "at risk" student. She hides in the school grounds but is found by a young janitor (early 20s) who befriends and comforts her, and they eventually end up having a relationship. Okay, he acts within the scope of his employment in finding her, then ignores his job and what his employer would want him to do. This is exactly the type of person for whom the statute is written. This type of behavior is awfully hard to present in a positive fashion.

I don't particularly want him to get arrested for it, though - there's nothing predatory about him I know a lot of people would disagree with you. The fact that he doesn't realize he's predatory doesn't mean he isn't., it's more two lost souls turn to each other for support and friendship expands into love type thing. Which is how a lot of people in these types of situations like this believe. Which is what a lot of pedophiles believe. A lot of prosecutors would fall to the floor laughing at this. I don't particularly want him jailed or anything like that, but if that's what would happen in real life then I'm going to have to have a bit of plot tweaking to do. Any teacher becoming aware of the situation should report it to the administration. The administration should report it to the police.

In the US, in this situation, if charges were brought, I'd be happy to plea this sucker for sex offender registry, suspended jail, a lot of probation, and no contact. It could be innocent, but it's just as likely not to be.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You've got some things in this post that would concern me as a defense attorney, things likely to trigger a response by the authorities. Whether they would lead to a response is questionable, but they are concerns that I would have. Note that I don't practice in England and never have, so the mileage might vary a bit.

In the US, in this situation, if charges were brought, I'd be happy to plea this sucker for sex offender registry, suspended jail, a lot of probation, and no contact. It could be innocent, but it's just as likely not to be.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Sex offender registry? She's 16 and the guy is in his early 20s and in no position of power over her.

I'm not saying it couldn't technically happen but I don't think that many prosecutors would care that much, if there wasn't some risk of publicity.

I'm presuming the reference to pedophiles wasn't intended to refer to this scenario.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
16 is under the age of consent in many states in the US.

So yes, jclarkdawe would have a good case as a prosecutor over here.

He might even have a good case if she was 18, since the man is on staff and she's a student.

None of which addresses UK law.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
There's a chance the school will want to keep scandal to a minimum. When I was in school (admittedly 20 years ago), this happened & the assistant was quietly asked to leave.

It might be beyond the schools power to keep it quiet as other agencies could be involved.

Just a thought, does the janitor have to be a janitor? I was thinking if it was someone on a "work experience/work for welfare" program (not sure what those programs are called in the UK) as a janitor's assistant I think it would be much less likely that there would be any trouble with a relationship.
I don't know the duration of such programs in the UK, but I know they can last for a year here in Norway. If the UK programs last for long enough for your story, it may make it easier to tell the story without the "legal problem" hanging in the background.

Anyone who works/volunteers in a school is subject to school policies and all the legislation that is in place to keep pupils safe. Any adult, whether a teacher, janitor, school cook, trainee that starts a relationship with a pupil could be heading for serious trouble. The relationship may be innocent, but it could be deemed inappropriate.

The whole area of adult/pupil relationships is a minefield. By adult I mean anyone who works or volunteers in a school.

Jim is very right about this
Okay, she's needy, dropping out, and should trigger concerns by teachers and administration. She's what we would call an "at risk" student
She would possibly be on an at risk register - so she would probably have a social worker keeping eyes on.

InsanitySquares

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
You've raised some interesting points, thanks. I never thought of the possibility that she would be considered 'at risk' by the school, which kind of changes things a bit.

Weirdmage: As far as I know, there is a work for welfare type thing being introduced over here, but I don't know of anyone that's been on it working in places other than supermarkets/pound shops etc.

I think I'm going to have to make some tweaks to the plot, have her meet this slightly older guy somewhere other than school. I don't particularly want to be digging into a legal minefield and seeming like I advocate staff/pupil relationships but at the same time for plot purposes I can't have him be arrested.

Thanks everybody for your help.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
What can I say, Cornflake? I've got a coupe of prosecutors who view their mission as prosecutors to protect people from bad relationships. I've got some others that wouldn't touch this with a ten-foot pole.

The pedophile comment relates to the thinking that they're two lost souls. Sometimes this type of thinking is legitimate, but too many people who engage in abusive-type situations love to justify it, and this seems to be one way they justify it. A couple of prosecutors I know would identify this reasoning as bullshit.

You trade sex offender registry for jail and probation time. I'll be the first to say that a couple of years in prison versus a life time on the sex offender registry that the prison is the better deal. But most of my clients are not the smartest people in the world.

The in power over her is going to be a legal nightmare, but would go along the argument that he is an employee of the school, he discovered her when she was cutting class, and then counseled her. He then failed to report this to the administration. I'd stand a better chance in front of a judge as to whether this relationship met the legal definition then in front of a jury as to whether this relationship met the factual definition. A lot of trial judges would dump this on the jury, and let the appeals court sort it out on the legal basis.

As I said, a lot of prosecutors wouldn't touch this. Others, however, would relish the case and get a lot of publicity.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Can he be younger? What if he was a student at the school a year or two before and is only 18? Maybe he dropped out and ended up working there, or graduated and doesn't think his prospects are good, so he's working their as a sort of "there's nothing else I can do with my life. This is just what I'll have to do."

That way he's younger, might have even known her (or seen her before), and she's not the only one who's needy. He could have low self-esteem himself. Then you'd have an interesting case where it's not just her being helped, but her helping him, and it's a much more equal situation.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Is this a difference in attitude thing between the UK and the US?

Because a ~23 year old guy hitting on a 16 year old girl is giving me the skeevy-jeevies, even in states where 16 is the age of consent. The fact that he's a member of staff is giving me skeevier-jeevies.

Making him not a member of staff sounds like a more solid, legally, way to go for the story; but I still get skeevy shivers.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Is this a difference in attitude thing between the UK and the US?

Because a ~23 year old guy hitting on a 16 year old girl is giving me the skeevy-jeevies, even in states where 16 is the age of consent. The fact that he's a member of staff is giving me skeevier-jeevies.

No, it isn't a matter of which side ot the Atlantic. Attitudes have changed greatly about the age of consent and related matters. The old-fashioned idea was that a sexually mature woman was mature enough, regardless of age.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
You trade sex offender registry for jail and probation time. I'll be the first to say that a couple of years in prison versus a life time on the sex offender registry that the prison is the better deal. But most of my clients are not the smartest people in the world.

To the best of my knowledge the 'trade' would not happen in England and Wales (Scotland has a different legal system). An ex-colleague, a teacher at the same school I was teaching at, was arrested and charged with various crimes against children. He was on remand for about six weeks. He was sentenced to six years in prison and banned from using the internet again. Ever. He was, and is, on the sex-offenders register. He was released after
four years in prison and has to have regular contact with some one like a probation officer - but I cannot remember the title of the job.

The in power over her is going to be a legal nightmare, but would go along the argument that he is an employee of the school, he discovered her when she was cutting class, and then counseled her. He then failed to report this to the administration. I'd stand a better chance in front of a judge as to whether this relationship met the legal definition then in front of a jury as to whether this relationship met the factual definition. A lot of trial judges would dump this on the jury, and let the appeals court sort it out on the legal basis.

As I said, a lot of prosecutors wouldn't touch this. Others, however, would relish the case and get a lot of publicity.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Counselling a pupil would get him into 'trouble' - especially if he was not qualified or employed to do so. He could be disciplined and that would be on his work record.

Ultragotha there is, I think, a difference in attitude. A lot of the legislation and school policies came into being after the Soham Murders. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soham_murders This was a chilling case that sent shock waves through government and also many schools. Other event,s for example the death of Baby P - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Baby_P, have also changed legislation and school policies.