RIP Seamus Heaney

WaveHopper

Registered
Reaction score
Poet, playwright, Nobel laureate.

Aside from talent and plaudits, its acknowledged by all who met him that he was an incredibly nice man. Genuine sadness in the office today as the news rippled around.

Orangetober

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Very sad. I hope he finished everything he was hoping to and went painlessly and content. Maybe the news of his death will spark a new interest in his work.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From North:

Keep your eye clear
as the bleb of the icicle,
trust the feel of what nubbed treasure
your hands have known.

I'll do my best, sir.

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, I can remember studying him for my Advanced Higher. He truly was a master of his craft.

Granada

Registered
Reaction score
Open Ground was my first book of poetry, given to me by a neighbor on the occasion of my high school graduation. I was not a literary inclined teen. The gift was, well, weird to seventeen-year-old me and stayed that way for a long time, looking just plain out of place on my sparse bookshelf of a few epic fantasies, which were far outnumbered by math and science textbooks.

But then I read it and, Seamus, you've stayed on my bookshelf a long time since. Last year I went through another Seamus phase and Open Ground lived for a good six months on my desk at work. Read over lunches, it lived next to immunology texts and such that were read much less often. For this reason Seamus holds a place in my literary heart. He was my first poet.