referral to agent who does not represent my genre

bookishjen

Registered
Reaction score
here's a minor quandary: in my quest to find an agent, a friend of mine who has published several books told me I was welcome to contact her agent using her name as a referral. the thing is, her agent does not represent my genre.

is it worth it to reach out anyway? OR would it be worth it to reach out to a different agent at the same agency who does represent my genre, using the name of another agent's client? OR should I just forget the whole thing?

after typing this all out, I am inclined to just forget it. But I thought I'd ask, just in case.

thank you!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Probably not. If the agent does not represent your genre, they won't have the inside info to place it with interested editors. The one way this might work is if the agent could then recommend you to another agent in your genre. You could always ask your friend if the first agent is at least willing to see your work.

Agents at the same agency often rec each other clients, so it may be worth trying. Does your friend's agent have a good reputation? That would be my first concern.

Last edited:

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Did you ask your friend about this? Odd for her to suggest you send to an agent who doesn't rep your genre. Maybe the agent is trying to branch out in that genre? Or maybe your friend was just being nice. (has she read this ms?)

I'd ask your friend and if you don't get the answer you're looking for, assuming they're open to queries, send to another agent at that agency mentioning your friend (but not the referral). That's what I would do, anyway. A referral only does so much.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar situation. I was bummed to have to turn down the opportunity to have a small foot in the door (or more like a toe), but in the end, I just didn't feel that my novel was a match for the things she repped and didn't want to waste either of our time (mine or the agents). Then again, who knows, sometimes the agent is looking for new things or branching out in other areas, so you never know.

I also had a situation where I queried an agent with a referral, but the agent ultimately R'd me and then I felt sort of funny. I don't know why, but I've decided I'm not comfortable querying agents of friend's, so I've decided to go totally on my own and not use referrals unless the agent and friend have discussed my particular project and the agent shows a lot of interest (which ain't happening, so...) Is it a smart decision? Who knows? But I have to feel comfortable about it. And I do.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ask your friend if her agent is interested in branching out into that genre. If so, I would go ahead and send the MS (I'm assuming your friend has read your MS and liked it, since it's her reputation on the line here.). If not, I wouldn't bother.

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
The agent might be looking to expand their client list to include your genre. Send the manuscript. What do you have to lose?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Referrals are the gold coin of publishing. Spend wisely.

You *could* send the query, mention the referral, and your awareness of the agent's field(s) of expertise. You may get a secondary referral out of that, to someone who *does* rep your genre.

Only Stronger

That which does not kill us. . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.frankpratt.net
Ask your friend if her agent is interested in branching out into that genre. If so, I would go ahead and send the MS (I'm assuming your friend has read your MS and liked it, since it's her reputation on the line here.). If not, I wouldn't bother.

The agent might be looking to expand their client list to include your genre. Send the manuscript. What do you have to lose?

I agree. even if your friend's agent is no interested in your genre, there is a good chance that agent know someone who is. The fact that your friend is a client may persuade her to send your manuscript to an agent who is interested. Who knows, if an agent gets the MS from another agent, perhaps this will get your manuscript read by an actual agent, rather than an intern assigned to the never-ending slush pile.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Don't let fear hold you back. What's the absolute worst thing that could happen if you query for a category she doesn't represent? Flying monkeys come to your house and eat the only copy of your manuscript?

Write an email that says "my friend mentioned I should query you. I don't see this category on your list, but figured I'd leap at the opportunity this referral represents."

Here's the reason you're going to do this: it shows me you'll do what needs to be done to get yourself published. That bodes well for promotion and marketing down the road.

Wallflowers (and fearful authors) are terrible at promotion. Given a choice between two equally amazing manuscripts (and yours is amazing, right?) I'll take the author who reaches out to grab opportunities. Who doesn't let fear hold her back.

And now, I'll step down off this soapbox and get back to feeding the flying monkeys.

aimeestates

MADNESS
Registered
Reaction score
Website
yarghing.com
Referrals are the gold coin of publishing. Spend wisely.

You *could* send the query, mention the referral, and your awareness of the agent's field(s) of expertise. You may get a secondary referral out of that, to someone who *does* rep your genre.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
The worst thing that can happen is you're offered rep, the agent doesn't have the right contacts, and your book stalls before it even had a chance.

So if you decide to submit - I personally wouldn't bother, but I can understand someone who never had an agent before wanting to leap at any opportunity - and are offered rep ask lots of questions before you sign the agent on.

bookishjen

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, these responses are really so helpful. I see that there isn't much downside in trying, and so I think that I will.

I'm continually amazed at this board -- I always leave here smarter than where I started. :)