in-ground pool installation

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping for information from people who have had an in-ground pool installed, or installed one. A character moves in next door to my protagonist and must have an in-ground pool installed asap. I'm trying to find out how long that would take, and what the process would involve. My research has provided ads that say a fiberglass pool can be installed in two days, and a vinyl one can be installed in three weeks. Are those time frames really reasonable to expect? Also, did anything unexpected/unpleasant happen during installation? Thank you very much for any help on this.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping for information from people who have had an in-ground pool installed, or installed one. A character moves in next door to my protagonist and must have an in-ground pool installed asap. I'm trying to find out how long that would take, and what the process would involve. My research has provided ads that say a fiberglass pool can be installed in two days, and a vinyl one can be installed in three weeks. Are those time frames really reasonable to expect? Also, did anything unexpected/unpleasant happen during installation? Thank you very much for any help on this.

I haven't, but just in general, remember to check on your town's (or make up your town's) permit requirements and time frames. Some places would require permits of various types for that, some might require a local board, like zoning board approval before you can apply for permits, etc. That can take time.

How long it takes to install a pool is contingent on having those approvals and stuff in place, pool bought, ready to be delivered, no problems when someone starts to dig, yada yada.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Actually worked for a pool installation company one summer while in college (okay, a long time ago)...

Aside from the time involved in excavation and actual construction, there are usually requirements to be met in the planning stage (depending on local codes). These can include pre-project site inspections, environmental impact reviews, identification/marking of subterranean utilities, home owners' association (HOA) architectural review committee (ARC) approvals, authorization & issuing of permits by local governing authority, periodic and final inspections, etc... The logistics involved can take longer than the actual work.

Then, of course, there's Murphy's Law...

Whatever the fiscal budget - it'll cost more.

Whatever the time frame - it'll take longer.

Something unforeseen will always derail the best of plans to some degree.

Oops - just noticed I cross-posted with cornflake, who, as usual, is right... ;-)

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
From my personal experience. YMMV.

Day 1: Excavation

They first determine the main fix locations using lasers, referring to your property's notaried location documents. They use spray paint to line up the pool contours, then dig with a small digger (i.e. Kubota). The hole is made larger than need be.

Day 2: sides and bottom

On the second day, they line up the metal sides and make sure it's all lined up and level with lasers. They install the drainage around the pool and they either connect it to the house's or to a side dead well. Then they install all the bottom tubing for water return. They usually place 2 return traps a few feet apart in case one gets snagged accidentally (i.e. someone's hair getting caught by the suction). They install the footings that will maintain the sides still and support the surrounding sidewalk. Metal meshes and laid out for the concrete. The electrician prepares the ground post and the ladder fittings (metal ladders are _always_ grounded), then connects them. A ground wire is laid all the way to the pump (the pump and the chlorination systems are always grounded together).

Day 3: concrete

The footings and bottom are filled with concrete. The bottom is smoothed out by hand. Extra concrete is poured over the sides to connect the footings into one solid block.

Day 4: off

Day 5: finition

all the tubing is put in place, holes are cut, connections are made. A side shack that contains the filter, pump, etc. is erected. Electrical connections are made. The pool lining is installed, holes cut, etc. Water starts to pour in.

Day 6: water filling

Day 7: finition & startup

Everything else that hasn't been done is done. The pump is started and the system is inspected for leaks, electric consumption, vibrations, etc. Water quality is tested. Shock chlorine and other chemicals are added to the water.

Day 8: off

Day 9: swimming.

The pool is ready for use.

-cb

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Locally, there are at least four inspections to the process that will add a day each to the process. Add permitting time, scheduling, supplies and so on and you're looking at 6-8 weeks for a concrete/gunite pool.

A fiberglass is a hole, shell, plumbing, electrical backfill and coping/landscaping. Other than permitting, it can be installed and inspected inside of a week. It just won't work for a lot of our area due to water tables and soil makeup.

Jeff

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
OMFG...
Yes I have an in ground fiberglass pool installed by a licensed contractor who was a licensed installer for the manufacturer who is a national company.

DON'T DO IT

THEY LIE

THEY CHEAT

THEY STEAL

THEY DO INCOMPETENT WORK

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I work in a local planning & zoning department and we review pool permit applications all the time. It usually takes a week, minimum, for the review. That's assuming the application comes in perfect, which they seldom do.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you want an in ground pool?

If it's for access for a physically challenged person, you can hinge a ladder that flips in and out.

Cause it looks neat....you can build a deck around it that looks even better.

Because I want it hot!...no difference for the heater between above ground and below ground unless the above ground is in the winter and even then if it's a once a year thing the cost will be less than the pool.

I don't want to clean the liner...That's why they make chlorine tablets...

I don't want to step down steps and then climb up a ladder...so you excavate 5 feet deeper at the construction phase, set up the pool and build a deck around the top at walking height from your house...

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the very useful information, everyone. Rep points for all! Hooray!

George--those are good reasons for why an above-ground pool is just fine. But this character of mine...she's gotta have an in-ground. It's just her way. There wouldn't be any talking her out of it, even with your good reasons. :) Personally, I'm thankful my next-door-neighbors tell us to come use their above-ground pool whenever we want. Nice pool; nice neighbors.

Thanks again to my AW pals.