PDA

View Full Version : Need Beta to tell me what the heck they think of this :-)

Ravensbreath
08-29-2013, 03:36 PM
:) First, many thanks for taking the time to read this and for any help you might have to offer. Time is precious and I appreciate it!

I'm a total newbie and trying to learn all the ropes.

I have several WIP and one finished that I recently (took the risk) and ebooked on Amazon. It's my first ever. (yikes!)

It's that one I need your help on. Please let me explain.

And please note that I'm only asking for beta readers, not buyers.
Also note that I worked very hard on getting it as right as possible before publishing so I didn't just throw it up there.

Is it acceptable to ask for help on a book already on the market? (if you can call it that. It's just sitting there) I don't want to break any rules.

It's actually a short story, 59 pages in total.

What I'm hoping for is qualified beta readers to give their opinion in areas such as is it an interesting story? Is it well written? Is it a story that teens would enjoy reading and would it hold their interest? Would it make them think? Maybe even give them hope? What are the faults of the story and the technical faults?
I know there will be a few and I'd like to know what they are so I can grow and improve.

Not sure how to do this so please enlighten me. I can send the story as a PDF to the beta reader, or as a Word doc.

GENRE SPECIFIC
I have to say it would probably be best read by someone who can appreciate this sort of story.

It's a grumpy teen girl's diary, though it's not at all typical. No makeup tips, fashion talk, etc. In fact she's between a regular girl and a bit of a tomboy. She's sort of lost with low self-esteem and a grim outlook. The only boy who likes her is a geek everyone makes fun of. But her mother gives her a diary and she reluctantly begins jotting her days in it. Something happens - just a little thing - but it's enough to change her thinking and open her mind and her world in unexpected and exciting ways.
I hope you can give me some answers, tips and/or advice.

I really appreciate the AW forums. Have already learned so much here and had fun too! In fact it's hard to stop. You all know what I mean. :-)

Thank you!

AimeeBeaJo
09-02-2013, 03:11 AM
Is this a young adult story, or adult?

I might be interested. I have a lot of experience with beta reading and editing. If you are willing to do a trade, I also have a short story (about 20 pages) that needs some eyes, and it is also about an atypical teenage girl. Not necessarily young adult though.

meowzbark
09-02-2013, 09:22 AM
SInce it is short, I can help out.

I don't read a lot of contemporary, but I do read plenty of YA. I'm also familiar with short stories and novellas.

Ravensbreath
09-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Is this a young adult story, or adult?

I might be interested. I have a lot of experience with beta reading and editing. If you are willing to do a trade, I also have a short story (about 20 pages) that needs some eyes, and it is also about an atypical teenage girl. Not necessarily young adult though.

Thank you so much. That would be great. And since it's short I'm happy to look over yours.
I don't normally dabble in teen writing but I just happened to write this one so I'm sure I can offer you something.

I've had two bets already, very good ones - and have been editing, per their comments. But I'd love to hear what others have to say as well because it's all a learning process.

I'm in the process of polishing up and re-posting this book on Amazon where the book languishes right now. Once it's ready I can email it to you. Is your address in your profile? Or you can send it to me in my private messages. And you can send your story to me.

Thanks for your offer. All good stuff.

Ravensbreath
09-03-2013, 02:56 PM
SInce it is short, I can help out.

I don't read a lot of contemporary, but I do read plenty of YA. I'm also familiar with short stories and novellas.

Hi, thank you for your offer. I see by your profile you're into teen dark side - vampires etc- and I can tell you that that is also my preferred genre to write. Or more like fantasy adventure, ghosts involving children and teens, and the occasional vampire and creature character thrown in. My signature link shows a smidge that side of me. Ravensbreath.

I like dark stories best, but I happened to write this grumpy teen diary story - she's pretty dark in ways - so coming from your position I would would love to hear your views.

The ebook is already on Amazon (sitting there twidling its thumbs). I had 2 other beta readers so far who were very good. And it's their comments I'm going thru now to polish up this story better. I'll be uploading the latest version to Amazon soon as it's done. That's when I can send you the doc. Is that ok?
I can send the Word doc to you if you provide an email. You can send it to me in private messages.

I'm a newbie to so many things to do with writing. Yes, I've written, but never published. I gotta get out there. So even on the teen story it's valuable to gain any feedback and comments I can. It helps for all writing.

So that would be great if you're ok with it.

And BTW, haven't had a chance to look at your blog, etc., much - but love the page and graphics. Excellent!
Many thanks.