Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I blog about Florida History. This is mainly an organizational question as to what headings I will use so people can find the post once I write it.

Florida used to be the capitol of the Silent Movie industry. Yes, some were made in Hollywood but Hollywood didn't become the focus until Talkies came out.

There was one silent movie producer/director who is white. He filmed movies that had all black casts where black people were the main characters with the major plot lines in movies that didn't portray them as servants or slaves.

For example, Disney's The Princess and the Frog, Tiana is trying to open a restaurant. His movies would be more like this and less like,
Gone with the Wind where black people are only portrayed as servants and slaves.

Could I put this guy with my Black History Month posts or should I put him under one of my other categories. I can't remember his name but if you are interested I can post his name later. I just have to find the book. I only ask because he is white and I don't want to be offensive. I can easily list him in under another category.

I thought I would put him in my Black History category because he employed black actors/actresses and created well-rounded 3-D black characters that went against the stereotypes of the day.

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
Even though he made great contributions and went against the norm, Black History is about black contributions to society. So is it possible to research about the black actors and actresses that he hired to be in his films? And/or the conditions they had to endure to become actors and actresses before being presented with the golden opportunity to portray characters that were not the norm for that particular era. Then you can explore his intentions as a secondary connection.

But to focus primarily on him, I am not so sure.

Princess Marina

Princess Marina
Registered
Reaction score
But you could add him as a white hero supporting black progress and perhaps use a link to his piece. Unless further examination proves that he cruelly exploited his stars.

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
I agree here. He could still be represented, but for black history month focus on the actors, but you could still maybe mention him as an aside if you wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.