What is that medical word -

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
for the first big cut they make to perform an autopsy? It's biggish word that sounds like, but isn't evisceration.

Anyone?

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thoracoabdominal incision?

Bleh. I feel like that's probably not what you're looking for. :p

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for trying. It's one word - I used it once when I was describing an autopsy; it's the cut from the chest down to the pubic bone. I always forget it.

It's a lovely word, but impossible to google.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like most online sources call it a "Y" incision.

I know. And I'm hampered from googling too much because I'm a little bit squeamery around photos of autopsies and sometimes they're there, unannounced.

It is the y incision - there's just (or there used to be) another word for it. It's right at the tip of my tongue. Grrr!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
google it.

ETA:

And I googled it for you. All I could find was 'Y-shaped' from the first few links. There's some non gorey stuff available, with detailed drawings or even cartoons :)

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Before I opened the thread, I was hoping that the answer to your question was 'anomia'.

(Sorry. I can't think of a special term for that initial incision.)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used the word in a miniseries I wrote in 1993. Don't make me go and hunt it out again, AW. Someone knows that word!!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But what's the point of using the word if nobody knows what it means?

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Transection?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know who "Bronx Science" is, but they simply call it the Y Incision:

The first cut known as the "Y" incision is made. The arms of the Y extend from the front of each shoulder to the bottom end of the breastbone.

<LINK>

Several other sites I looked at seem to agree.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We just called it the midline. Maybe transverse midline. Never heard any other description, but never was a medical professional either.

Jeff

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I used the word in a miniseries I wrote in 1993. Don't make me go and hunt it out again, AW. Someone knows that word!!

I have a lot of medical literature at home, including forensic pathology, and observed several autopsies, and I've never heard any other term than Y-incision or Y-cut. I don't mean to be rude, but are you sure the word you used in 1993 means what you think it means?

We just called it the midline. Maybe transverse midline. Never heard any other description, but never was a medical professional either.

Jeff

I've never heard "midline" as a synonym for a Y-cut either. A midline incision is one straight incision, but a Y-incision also involves two oblique cuts. No part of a Y-incision is transverse.

I don't know who "Bronx Science" is [...]

Bronx Science is a prestigious magnet high school in New York. Very sciency.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score

I really wonder what it is. I did a seach and found nothing except Y incision. I'd love know another obscure term.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard "midline" as a synonym for a Y-cut either.
Not for the Y, just the midline portion, tail of the Y. Some pathologists use a U shape for the top as well. Referring to the entire cut it's always been a Y cut that I've dealt with. (Grew up next door to husband and wife pathologists, same term was used in the 1970's.)

Jeff

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a lot of medical literature at home, including forensic pathology, and observed several autopsies, and I've never heard any other term than Y-incision or Y-cut. I don't mean to be rude, but are you sure the word you used in 1993 means what you think it means?.

I had it from someone who was doing autopsies, and when I asked what the word meant, he explained. But I've been careless - it's not the incision itself, it's the over-arching (possibly latin?) word for the act of opening up the body into a viewable stage.

But what's the point of using the word if nobody knows what it means?
Bufty - thanks but I want the mc to use the word because that's the way she speaks. She's a very old woman with a highly specific background. She tends to use dense language and simplify it down with a word or two. And in its defense it is a beautiful word. one of those ones that sound so pretty and mean something awful.

I'm going to hunt out my old script on the weekend and see if I can find it. I'll let you know.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Going on a lark:

Enterotomy: the cutting open of the intestines?

No - but, actually I like that. I'm liking all of these words.

You're all very helpful people. There will be rep points...

Any more words?