20,000 views :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGreyWorld

Registered
Reaction score
Website
agreyworld.wordpress.com
I've just hit 20,000 page views on my attempt at fiction. Over 7000 in the last month, and it's not even the end yet.

Given my hideous lack of knowledge at the start of it, I'm really pleasantly surprised that so many people have actually took the time to read it.

Probably only about 400 (awful maths) people read it in total but that's something I'm super happy with.

I've got about two novels worth. My ultimate goal is to probably self publish (doubt a real publisher would want something that was free on the internet at some point) but that is going to take a bit edit. Really big edit, and probably a lot of thinking about how much to change.

But yeah... Yey.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Not to be a party pooper, but are you sure the 20,000 views are live web surfers and not bots?

Also, page hits do not equal all viewers reading. I know that sucks but a lot of page hits are by bots or people surfing through, but not stopping to read. How are you tracking reads vs page hits?

AGreyWorld

Registered
Reaction score
Website
agreyworld.wordpress.com
Not to be a party pooper, but are you sure the 20,000 views are live web surfers and not bots?

Also, page hits do not equal all viewers reading. I know that sucks but a lot of page hits are by bots or people surfing through, but not stopping to read. How are you tracking reads vs page hits?

Wordpress is very good at filtering out bots & crawlers. I can see from the referrers and usage (big spikes when I get a reader) that it's not because of that.

I'm also well aware that reads =/= hits! I track my 'reads' through making a graph like this:

DitZzn6.png

It shows, roughly:
  • my retained readers for the month (size of the hump at the end)
  • how often people check out for updates (severity of the curve at the end)
  • how my first chapter retention is doing (step down from first to later chapters)
  • Quantity of new readers (darkest 'tail' from the latest hump back)
  • Total readers! Which is about 400 - 450 (Roughly the lowest point and some estimating)

I'm very happy with 400 live human beings being interested enough to read 150,000 words that I've written though!

Views is still a nice metric to aim for though. Hit nearly 25,000 last month and I'm nearly at 75,000 overall so still going yey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.