So how about the guys who flunk out of SEAL training?

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Who are they? What happens to them? Plenty of jerks out there are claiming to be SEALS, or claim that they use to be SEALS. (It's the hottest bullshit claim to make as of late when it comes to supposed past military service.) But my understanding is that in a class of 50 guys all training to be SEALs, only about 10 will make it.

What happens to the other 40? Do they just go back to being a regular seaman in the US Navy? And would they ever admit to their failure?

I am writing a story and one supporting character might turn out to be a SEAL flunky, but I don't know anything about SEAL flunkies. I don't know if my character would or should admit to his failure. Would a real guy who failed SEAL training admit it? And would he do so with shame? Or are there brownie points for at least being honest about it?

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that SEAL training is so insanely hard that generally guys who tried and failed aren't really given any trouble about it. Now, if someone was really boastful before, and then failed and wound up back in the same unit, yeah, life's gonna be unpleasant for awhile. But, in general, it's more like, "Man, you wanted to be a SEAL? Those guys are nuts."

EDIT: And, yeah, if someone didn't make it through SEAL traning, and was honest about it, he's generally going to be respected for trying. If he puffs himself up, or lies, then he's more likely to have problems.

Also remember that a lot of guys drop out due to injuries. "I used to want to be a SEAL, but then I took an arrow to the knee" type of stories.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Who are they? What happens to them? Plenty of jerks out there are claiming to be SEALS, or claim that they use to be SEALS. (It's the hottest bullshit claim to make as of late when it comes to supposed past military service.) But my understanding is that in a class of 50 guys all training to be SEALs, only about 10 will make it.

What happens to the other 40? Do they just go back to being a regular seaman in the US Navy? And would they ever admit to their failure?

I am writing a story and one supporting character might turn out to be a SEAL flunky, but I don't know anything about SEAL flunkies. I don't know if my character would or should admit to his failure. Would a real guy who failed SEAL training admit it? And would he do so with shame? Or are there brownie points for at least being honest about it?

Just a note - lots of SEAL candidates aren't in the Navy to begin with.

Cranky1

Registered
Reaction score
Those who flunk can try again.

On Youtube, there is a documentary series on BUDS training. This is the training course that they go through in order to join a SEAL team.

It will show you from when they start through the graduation. If it is the documentary I remember, you'll see all of the tests, too.

NAVY SEALS BUD/S - video title

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Oh, God, I agree -- #1 bullshit claim I hear.

There's a saying here in Hollywood that you can't throw a stone without hitting a Navy SEAL. An utterly ridiculous number* of people here claim to be them and aren't. Some of those people are people who started training and washed out. And yes, I see them treated with contempt for lying about it, even if they might otherwise have been respected for their (other) military service.

For what it's worth, I also know one or two people who are upfront about ending their SEAL training -- injury or what have you -- and nobody has anything but respect for them. You know: "That sucks, man. Thank you for your service."

(I've also worked with real Navy SEALs. They didn't go around boasting about it. I found out from other people.)

* By "utterly ridiculous number" I don't mean, y'know, every other person, but just enough so that you'd notice if you hang with a certain crowd enough.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
SEALS are Navy or Marine Corps, since the Marines are part of the Department of the Navy...

redfalcon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Seal "flunkies" but most of the guys who went to Ranger school knew the exact day, out of the 61 day course, they were put out on, and usually the Ranger Instructor who did it.

Most were proud of what they did, and humbled by the difficulty of the task.
There was no shame for failing, in most units to get the chance to try either, you had to be good. They would set up mini courses to get the guys in shape mentally and physically. No unit wanted to send some goof that would make the unit look like crap by their actions.
Same with the Special Forces Q course.

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
All the ones that I've known who did not complete SEAL training did so for medical reasons, generally blown out knees. I thought the term, "Washed out," referred to those who just quit or are ejected for disciplinary reasons? It used to be sort of like the difference between an ex-marine and a former marine. Is that no longer the case?

Last edited:

Lasher

Registered
Reaction score
Generally with all military training above basic and primary MOS training you have to apply and get accepted to the specialized schools. If for some reason you fail/drop out you return to your original unit unless you are discharged for a medical reason.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
My understanding is that SEAL training is so insanely hard that generally guys who tried and failed aren't really given any trouble about it. Now, if someone was really boastful before, and then failed and wound up back in the same unit, yeah, life's gonna be unpleasant for awhile. But, in general, it's more like, "Man, you wanted to be a SEAL? Those guys are nuts."

EDIT: And, yeah, if someone didn't make it through SEAL traning, and was honest about it, he's generally going to be respected for trying. If he puffs himself up, or lies, then he's more likely to have problems.

Also remember that a lot of guys drop out due to injuries. "I used to want to be a SEAL, but then I took an arrow to the knee" type of stories.

Okay, so more dropouts result from injuries than anything else? Okay. Good to know.

Just a note - lots of SEAL candidates aren't in the Navy to begin with.

No?? I'm confused then.

SEALS are Navy or Marine Corps, since the Marines are part of the Department of the Navy...

Oh Okay.

But ya know ... I definitely want to know what happens after they drop out. My character needs a backstory.

Generally with all military training above basic and primary MOS training you have to apply and get accepted to the specialized schools. If for some reason you fail/drop out you return to your original unit unless you are discharged for a medical reason.

Does that apply to SEALSs?? Does someone who dropped out of SEAL training go ... on to something else? If so what?

Lasher

Registered
Reaction score
Does that apply to SEALSs?? Does someone who dropped out of SEAL training go ... on to something else? If so what?

You then get sent to the fleet. You will either go back to your old job if you're already in the Navy, or if you don't have rating you'll basically be scraping paint of off boats.

It is possible that you can go back and try again and this can be done multiple times.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who are they? What happens to them? Plenty of jerks out there are claiming to be SEALS...
1) Candidates come mostly from the Navy or Marines, but can come from other branches. Most (now) have combat experience and have proven themselves.

2) If they ring out or are not selected, they return to their former unit with full duties and no shame. It's an honor to try out and nobody in the military looks down on you for not making selection.

3) If they claim to be a SEAL or ex-SEAL, they aren't. True SEAL members, especially today, do not want to be known. That makes them targets. It also denigrates the clandestine force.

A SEAL will reveal themselves to you when/if you get to know them well and they will not brag about it. These professionals do their job and go home. No honors are expected or received. The biggest insult to many was the announcement that SEAL Team 6 got Bin Laden. Kind of like outing an undercover agent or officer.

Jeff

AVS

Registered
Reaction score
If you fail SEAL training, I think you move on to OTTER and if you flunk out of that GOLDFISH.

I got that out of a Tom Clancy novel, boy does he know his stuff.

Jaims22

Registered
Reaction score

This. This goes for Air Force Para-Rescue and Army Delta Force or Green Berets as well.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My diving instructor injured out of SEAL training while rappelling down a cliff, seriously wrecking his knee. He recovered, completed his service in the Navy, then went to law school, graduated, moved to Florida, and became head of the YMCA's diving instruction program.[/FONT]

Trebor1415

Registered
Reaction score
I honestly don't know if "most" fail due to medical reasons, but it is a high percentage at least. Medical issues can be anything from a blown out knee or similar injuries (pretty common) to more serious injuries to full blown pneumonia. Part of the training is "fighting through" injuries and illness so guys often will try to stay with the training until their body just completely fails them, no matter how much willpower they have.

The first Coast Guard SEAL graduated a few years back. From what I understand he'll probably stay with the SEAL's for nearly most of his remaining career.

There's currently an astronaut was was a SEAL. That's pretty hardcore.