What the heck is growing in my garden?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I have a weird vine thing growing in my veggie garden and I'm not sure what it is (obviously). I can try to get a picture of it tomorrow, but I thought I'd ask first and see if anyone knew.

Basically, it has leaves that look similar to a morning glory, very small white flowers that grow several together, and recently odd fruits that look almost like chilli peppers.

It's odd. At first we weren't sure if it was one of the pea plants we'd planted in that area, so we left it. Then I was sure it was a weed, but it was attracting bees so I didn't want to pull it out because the bees were also pollinating the veggies. Now it's got these weird fruits and I don't know what to make of it.

I'm almost certain it's not something I planted because there is one growing near the deck, too. I don't recall having these last year. I've looked them up on all kinds of plant identifiers and I can't find it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone, or do I need to go snap a pic?

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
I was going to suggest wild cucumbers (which are NOT edible) until you said the fruits look like chili peppers. The wild cucumbers look like kiwi, sort of. If it IS wild cucumbers, kill it dead, dead, dead, because they will take over the world. But I'm thinking it's not, although if you search on that, you'll be able to see a pic and definitively exclude it.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, no pointy things on the fruits. I'll try to get a picture when I get home from work (if I can figure out where the cord is to get one off my phone). This is getting pretty overgrown, but so is everything in that garden, and I did worry about it taking over, particularly with my bitter melon coming back in the same area (yay!).

I'm pretty sure I need to just pull it up in any case, but I hate doing that without knowing what it is first.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We demand pictures! Not that I'm likely to identify it, but still...

Maryn, who did ID a plant at Yahoo Answers, woohoo

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Without seeing it but just by poking around a bit online, it's possible it's a member of the nightshade family. Usually the flowers are lilac or lavender in color, but it can be a very pale shade (or a very dark one). The leaf shape is right.

The fruits are poisonous and self-sow easily, so if further checking on your part determines that's what you've got, water the area well and pull by the roots, before the berries/fruits turn red or purple.

Maryn, who likes a little challenge

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't jasmine could fruit! I have some in my garden but no buds, never mind fruit. I'm guessing it's too cold here.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
The writer of the blog didn't know it, either, mirandashell. Gave me a "Whoa!" moment as well.