PDA

View Full Version : Cutthroat Kitchen

GeorgeK
08-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Something crawled out the the twisted mind of Alton Brown and became alive.

The format is sort of like Chopped in that there are 4 chefs competing and each round someone gets eliminated. That's where the similarities stop.

The contestants can not return to the pantry. They get 60 seconds to grab all their ingredients. Oh you forgot to pick up pork chops for the pork chop challenge, well you better buy a sabotage to make someone else's dish worse than yours..

Then they have the option of reducing their eventual prize money should they win by spending that prize money on sabotaging the competitors. Alton auctions off potential sabotage. "See this aluminum foil? If you make the winning bid you can give it to one of your opponents and they may only use it for their utensils. That's right, they will have to make their utensils out of aluminum foil, forks tongs whatever."

"See this basket of artificial cheese products? Win this and replace one opponent's real cheeses with this..."

Snowstorm
08-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Yikes! I love Alton Brown and his "Good Eats" shows, but I've seen this one except for the promos on TV. Obviously, the contestants know all this beforehand and sign up for it. It could be a real hoot though.

GeorgeK
08-27-2013, 08:22 PM
The contestants know but the judge does not get to know what transpired. They only get to see and taste the food

Snowstorm
08-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Sounds like the joke's on the judges then! I cannot imagine what they have to taste.

GeorgeK
08-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Sounds like the joke's on the judges then! I cannot imagine what they have to taste.
Some things looked pretty good, others looked like stuff I'd be embarrassed to feed to pigs

Stiger05
08-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Hubby and I watched half an episode and started recording the rest of the series. It's really interesting! We used to watch Iron Chef, but it got kind of dull with the same old same old every time. I think Cutthroat Kitchen breathes new life into the old cooking competition show format. You never know what's going to come next. Are they going to take away someone's heat? Make them cook without salt? Do they have enough money left not to get screwed? Are two chefs going to gang up on the others?

The chefs have gotten really inventive, but I haven't seen the judge spit anything out yet!

Lavern08
08-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Wouldn't watch this if you paid me.

I miss Iron Chef (the original one).

Alpha Echo
08-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Hmmm...if I happen across it while scrolling through channels, I'll check it out. It sounds intriguing but not enough to make a point to watch it.

GeorgeK
08-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Wouldn't watch this if you paid me.

I miss Iron Chef (the original one).They refused to advertise it correctly. In the guides they would mention the names of the chefs instead of the theme ingredient.