Incomplete Tax Information on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
This is just a heads-up. When I woke up this morning there was a message on my KDP account saying to complete my tax information or they would remove my books. Obviously the wording gave me a bit of a shock!

Anyway, I think Amazon need W8-BENs by law and they are doing a bit of mopping up, especially for oversees sellers.

All you need to do is follow the 'tax interview' and electronically sign the W8-BEN form at the end. If you have an EIN or ITIN you can include that and you will then not be charged the withholding tax (if your country has a tax treaty with America).

Wish I'd known about this before posting my forms!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
They sure give you trouble about taxes, don't they! I'm glad you got it sorted out.

(Btw, reading The Blemished, and I love it so far!)

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
They sure give you trouble about taxes, don't they! I'm glad you got it sorted out.

(Btw, reading The Blemished, and I love it so far!)

I know. The bloody bar stewards.

Actually, it was quite nice to get it all sorted straight away. I think the wording was a bit extreme though. Thought it might worry someone who has only just published.

(YAY!)

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sarah,

I received that as well this morning - thanks for the heads up. I was a little worried at first glance alright.

Melhael

Indie writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
terrydock.net
I've just received it too, and it was sorted out in matters of minute. It's really great because I'd been putting that off forever. :)

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Probably going to sound a little silly here, but I'd rather know about this now and look after it, rather than waiting 'til February when Sealer's Promise is scheduled to release.

Is this about those forms you need to get set up so Amazon doesn't hold onto a percent of earnings? Or is it something else? Or is this something that is going to make having those forums / that holding being removed something that is mandatory for authors outside of the US? (Far as I know, those in the states need to give Amazon their social security or whatever it is they use to keep track of work stuff?)

Also, even if this isn't about that stuff, should getting that all looked after be priority #1 for me right now so it's done and over?

My apologies for derailing this thread, but it's something that's been bothering me for a while and when I saw your topic I was like, "Oh, No!".

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
As I understand it, the tax thing is about the forms. My forms are sorted and I didn't get it. Getting it sorted before your release makes life a lot easier. If you don't, they'll withhold 30% of your earnings, and you have to jump through more hoops to claim it back. Far easier just to get out of the way.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
Probably going to sound a little silly here, but I'd rather know about this now and look after it, rather than waiting 'til February when Sealer's Promise is scheduled to release.

Is this about those forms you need to get set up so Amazon doesn't hold onto a percent of earnings? Or is it something else? Or is this something that is going to make having those forums / that holding being removed something that is mandatory for authors outside of the US? (Far as I know, those in the states need to give Amazon their social security or whatever it is they use to keep track of work stuff?)

Also, even if this isn't about that stuff, should getting that all looked after be priority #1 for me right now so it's done and over?

My apologies for derailing this thread, but it's something that's been bothering me for a while and when I saw your topic I was like, "Oh, No!".

Thanks. :)

No probs on the derail! Tax is so confusing and I constantly rely on information given by other authors. I think it is pretty much Polenth said. I would get it sorted now. I waited until I started earning money and have ended up with a few hundred quid withheld.

Okay, so I'll let you know what I did. Bear in mind that it might be different because I'm in the UK.

I found this blog post: http://catherineryanhoward.com/2012/02/24/non-us-self-publisher-tax-issues-dont-need-to-be-taxing/

Which explains how to get an EIN. Then I followed the guidelines and rang the number, waited on hold for a loooong time. The lady asked me questions based on the SS4 form: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss4.pdf It took about 5 minutes and then I got my EIN.

Then you can go here: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A1VDYJ32T5D3U4 and do the tax interview and fill out the W8-BEN. Might be easier than posting it.

You might even be able to register for an account now and get it sorted in one afternoon. At least then it would put your mind at ease.

You'll also have to send forms to anywhere else you want to publish -- smashwords, Barnes and Noble etc.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Thanks, Sarah and Polenth. My boyfriend is coming for a visit in a couple weeks and between the two of us we're going to look all of this over and make sure it doesn't get messed up. This kinda stuff is not my strong suit, but it's extremely important. I'd rather be able to do it, know it's done, and focus on writing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.