What would the world would be like if all that was left were 2-year-olds, teens and very old people?

Ravensbreath

Ravensbreath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ravensbreath.com
As I said I'm a total newbie to forums so maybe this isn't the right place to put this topic. But it relates to some things we were talking about. (altho I can not longer recall what it was. Maybe that's why someone suggested posting stuff in the Old Farts forum! :) Anyway, I digress.
So if it doesn't work here I'm sure someone will tell me where to go. :scared:

What would the world would be like if all that was left were 2-year-olds, teens and very old people?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing there would be fast food restaurants specializing in soft food. :) I'm just kidding.

My first thought would be that the teens would act more like teens did in the 1800s; that is, they would be expected to work hard, be more mature in the way they act, start families earlier, and that sort of thing. I can't see them running around in baseball caps turned backwards and skateboarding without food on the table. Being hungry and cold can quickly change someone's maturity.

The old people would tell stories about the good ol' days and coo at the two-year-olds. :)

Last edited:

Ravensbreath

Ravensbreath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ravensbreath.com
That's interesting.. teens would suddenly become the people that are inside them inherently but which they don't choose to be simply because they don't have to.
Of course there are plenty of places on the planet where teens are as you guys have described. They don't have the luxury be otherwise.

What would also be interesting, after a year of these three groups living in this sudden altered world - suppose you're a teen of 13 who is now 14, and the 2 year old now 3, etc, and everything was put back just as it was - you're once again living with Mom and Dad, or just Mom, etc, - what would you be like as a person now?

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
ERmm.... it kind of depends on the person, I think. Some teens are kept so young by their parents that they would more likely fall apart. But some would find a strength they didn't know they had and become stronger. And think those would feel on a par with their parents.

Ravensbreath

Ravensbreath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ravensbreath.com
Yes, but both would be changed. They couldn't deny that.

Would be interesting to follow each teen and see how their lives unfold from that point on. The one might settle back into the way it was, their life as a 14 year old kid dependant on mom and dad. Safe, secure. But maybe after awhile they'd find it doesn't really work. They're uncomfortable with that level. After all, during that year they were forced to survive they had to be in control to do it - even if their control was feebler than other kids. They had been something more than they are trying to go back to.

ERmm.... it kind of depends on the person, I think. Some teens are kept so young by their parents that they would more likely fall apart. But some would find a strength they didn't know they had and become stronger. And think those would feel on a par with their parents.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Well... when I said 'fall apart' I was talking something more serious. But yeah, it could make a good story.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
If by "very old" that means we wouldn't have most of Congress, that would be a pretty good thing.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
What would the world be like?

Packs of feral grannies and grandads, speeding around on scooters and whacking baby-lugging, bemused-looking teenagers over the heads with their canes.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
It would be a disaster at first. The teens would scream "I'm free, free at last, thank God almighty, free at last!"

Their screams, of course, would terrify the tots, so they'd scream themselves and then the oldsters would scream at the youngsters to take care of the little ones. There'd be a bit--or a lot--of anarchy at first, rioting, and a lot more making out.

Over time, however, the responsible ones would help take care of the tots and the oldsters would help as well. Together, they'd forge a brave new world and beat back the impending zombie invasion as well.

Great outline for a novel. Hoped this helped.

:D

Ravensbreath

Ravensbreath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ravensbreath.com
If by "very old" that means we wouldn't have most of Congress, that would be a pretty good thing.

And it would be another thread to the story just how those very old folks would have to suddenly rally. Because they may be very old but they're not dead yet and they have experience far beyond the teens and 2s.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
This is the real-life situation in some AIDS-ravaged countries. Might wanna look at those.

Really bad things happen when there aren't enough young and able-bodied to produce enough food or labor.

Ravensbreath

Ravensbreath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ravensbreath.com

Not able to view these STs, but if you were referring to an episode simlilar to this theme - like the teens they met and brought on board that time - with Kim Darby and Michael J Pollard ? then yes, it's been done and done well. But that was a 60s take on the results. What about today when many 'very olds' are not as feeble as they once were, yet, as someone else here said, some teens are more sheltered these days so they might more easily fall apart during that year than they might have back in the 60s.

And 2 year olds would maybe have to endure more than a scrape on the knee. Would there come out mentally/physically changed in that year? Or would they simply be 3 as any 3 year old?

Ravensbreath

Ravensbreath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ravensbreath.com
It would be a disaster at first. The teens would scream "I'm free, free at last, thank God almighty, free at last!"

Their screams, of course, would terrify the tots, so they'd scream themselves and then the oldsters would scream at the youngsters to take care of the little ones. There'd be a bit--or a lot--of anarchy at first, rioting, and a lot more making out.

Over time, however, the responsible ones would help take care of the tots and the oldsters would help as well. Together, they'd forge a brave new world and beat back the impending zombie invasion as well.

Great outline for a novel. Hoped this helped.

:D

I LOVE this! And yes, this is typically the way it would go.

But the challenge of the story would be to make it different.

How would it go?

And it must be feasible. Nothing worse than having to say, 'oh please, like that would ever happen.'

But is it possible for it to go any other way?
There must be.

Ravensbreath

Ravensbreath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ravensbreath.com
This is the real-life situation in some AIDS-ravaged countries. Might wanna look at those.

Really bad things happen when there aren't enough young and able-bodied to produce enough food or labor.

I know. And somewhere in my posts I said there are parts of the planet now where this is not science fiction. Dreadful.
It's easy to forget about those horrors - as if the West is the only reality.

But you have to have fantasies to move on in life. As long as you don't lose track of reality. (ok, like I know so much) (Maybe I know nuttin).

Good point though.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
I know. And somewhere in my posts I said there are parts of the planet now where this is not science fiction. Dreadful.
It's easy to forget about those horrors - as if the West is the only reality.

But you have to have fantasies to move on in life. As long as you don't lose track of reality. (ok, like I know so much) (Maybe I know nuttin).

Good point though.

Ah, I must have missed that. I wasn't lecturing or anything, just making a statement of fact. If you're wondering what would happen, the answer is out there.

Sad though. :(

Ravensbreath

Ravensbreath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ravensbreath.com
Ah, I must have missed that. I wasn't lecturing or anything, just making a statement of fact. If you're wondering what would happen, the answer is out there.

Sad though. :(

Yes, I know. It's very sad and should not be. Hopefully someday those problems will shrink, but it's hard when people refuse to change.
I think in some ways it's better than years ago - for those who do want help and change. Need to keep it going tho.

Thanks for your input.