PDA

View Full Version : Why two payments

MartinD
08-26-2013, 04:11 AM
I know I'm missing something fairly basic here but I'm a little confused and I'm hoping someone here can unpuzzle my puzzle.

In the last four months, my novel sales have taken an uptick and so have my royalties. Not big numbers, not even close, but big enough for me. I write under two different pseudonyms but maintain a single Publisher account on Amazon.

On 08/20, Amazon Accounts Payable sent me a "Remittance Advice" with a payment number (like #7777777) and a dollar amount. Before the day was over, they sent me another "Remittance Advice", with a different payment number and a different but higher dollar amount.

Was the second Remittance Advice a correction or can I actually expect two payments? Anyone know?

Calle Jay
08-26-2013, 04:24 AM
Have you checked whether you've met the threshold for foreign sales? I receive two payments--one from UK and one from US sales. (Some months I receive more from other non-US sales locations.)

merrihiatt
08-26-2013, 05:47 AM
I was going to suggest the same as Calle Jay. I generally receive at least two payments from Amazon KDP each month (US sales and UK sales).

MartinD
08-26-2013, 06:19 AM
Both of of the R.A. notices show "Kindle Direct Publishing" and neither indicates a foreign payment. However,the larger payment is a single number (possibly US sales?) and the smaller payment shows a variety of small numbers adding up to the total indicated. If this second, smaller remittance is from foreign sales then -- yippee! -- I've finally sold some stories overseas.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Calle Jay and merrihiatt. I didn't even consider the international market.

merrihiatt
08-26-2013, 07:33 AM
You can go to your Amazon KDP reports online and download your sales (it's handy for reference to have these on your computer anyway). They are usually up by the 15th of the following month (ie., August 2013 downloads will be posted by September 15th). The royalty you are receiving now would be from sales two months ago. There is a 60-day lag between sales and payments.

MartinD
08-26-2013, 08:16 AM
I have so much to learn....

PJanes
08-26-2013, 11:26 AM
It would be nice if they clearly stated which sales location the remittance is from, but there is a way to see.

In the second paragraph of the email there should be an email address. If it is ap-amazondigital@, then it is the US, ap-amazondigital-uk@ is the UK.

MartinD
08-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks, PJanes. You're right; the smaller payment is from Amazon UK.