Uhhh Hindus around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
I've seen pictures of Rama and Sita, read the Ramayana (though it's a bit fuzzy)... But uhh... what are the key features (physical) that you, as a Hindu, would point out. I need to write a brief description of them.

I did ask a source, but she's busy. And wikipedia isn't helping... (Sigils?)

For the sake of clarity, if you are not Hindu, could you say so. Makes my life easier.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Google is your friend.

In this case, images.google.com. Use the advanced search feature and you can filter it to just show you photographs, separate it out by keywords (man, woman, America, -America etc.)

You might also Google "hindii celebrity magazine"

Last edited:

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
Not a Hindu. Not entirely understanding the question, either.

Are you looking for the key traits of Lord Rama and Lady Sita, Rachel, that identify them in images of Hindu deities, or are you looking for something else?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Not Hindu. I suggest you look for photos of sculptures of Rama and Sita. That will answer your question.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Umm... I think I'm looking for an insider POV, rather than an outsider POV, because an outsider POV of what makes the features special will always be different from the insider POV.

Does that make sense? I mean across cultural lines.

Google can't help me with that unless someone writes a physical description of them from Hinduism.

Beauty changes across cultures. So my view of the deities will be null next to someone who has lived in it and expects certain things to be depicted in the images that are drawn which I cannot detect.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net

kestra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kestra.ca
Really, I think you're over thinking this. There are only so many words to describe beauty in English, regardless of the religion or culture you come from.
(My parents are Hindu. I am agnostic.)

I'm not Christian, but if I saw a picture of Jesus I could describe what I saw. Would my description be that different from that of a Christian? Probably not.

And a physical description is hard, especially of Sita, as other than beauty there isn't that much to describe. It's easier to physically describe one of the goddesses with four arms or a necklace of skulls, for example. Many of the Hindu gods and goddesses have really distinct features. You're just not going to get that easy description with Rama and Sita.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Got one from a Hindu.

Rama: Tall, Dark, Handsome, had really dark skin. Black or Brown eyes.

Sita: Beauitiful, probably wide hips, some fat (which showed health back then), wheatish (which I'll change out) color skin. Black or brown eyes.

Sigils: Eagle for Rama.

Owl for Sita.

And it does make a difference, because what I was going to write down she refuted as accurate. =P The features I picked up on she disagreed with. Which just goes to show I was right to ask. (I picked up the need to ask when people were picking on Korean actresses when it didn't match Korean standards of beauty.)

BTW, Jesus was a Jew with short hair, not white, and definitely darker skin being part Egyptian ancestory from Mary's side of the family. Probably shorter, being the son of a carpenter than the Renaissance movement made Him to be. So yeah, it would be different, especially if you buy the Pre-Raphaelite image of him being Medieval. (light brown hair, not curly, and distinctly North Western European.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.