Stupid question about Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaggieTCat

Registered
Reaction score
I tried searching this topic and couldn't find anything.

Is there a reason why self-pub and e-pub authors don't advertise their books on Craigslist?

I just e-pubbed on Kindle and opted to use Select. It is free to borrow for Amazon Prime members. Could I post that on Craigslist? What about when I offer free download days?

My book takes place in a specific region and makes a lot of references to the city and the culture (Santa Fe, NM to be exact). I was thinking about posting it in the Santa Fe section.

There have to be a hundred reasons why that isn't a good idea, otherwise everyone would be doing it. What am I missing?

Deleted member 42

Because it's against the CL TOS.

Honestly, advertising is a waste of your money: Have you ever bought a book by an unknown author because of an ad?

Engage with readers, not as an author so much but as a fellow reader.

Participate in the conversation; being interesting, and genuinely engaged will cause readers/potential book buyers to look at your Profile or Sig, and then discover your books.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaggieTCat

Registered
Reaction score
Is it against their TOS? I read the terms on their site and didn't see that.

I know Craigslist can be skeevy, probably not something I want my book associated with, I'm just trying to feel things out.

I don't think I would have to pay for an ad. Again, I read the TOS and if there is something in there that prohibits advertising a free download of a book, I didn't see it.

You are right, I have probably never bought a book because of an ad. It sure worked for 50 Shades of Grey, though. I saw ads for that book everywhere!

Thanks for the input!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Is it against their TOS? I read the terms on their site and didn't see that.

I know Craigslist can be skeevy, probably not something I want my book associated with, I'm just trying to feel things out.

I don't think I would have to pay for an ad. Again, I read the TOS and if there is something in there that prohibits advertising a free download of a book, I didn't see it.

You are right, I have probably never bought a book because of an ad. It sure worked for 50 Shades of Grey, though. I saw ads for that book everywhere!

Thanks for the input!

Ads aren't what worked for 50 Shades. I'm pretty sure they just reinforced, once it was as ubiquitous as it was, people's idea that it was ok to pick up or remind them they wanted it.

The success of that mess wasn't to do with advertising at all.

Deleted member 42

I've seen ebooks, free or for sale, flagged and removed by CL staff. I suspect it's because they can't guarantee that it's legal, even if the ad links to a vendor like Amazon.

But I'm speculating.

, I have probably never bought a book because of an ad. It sure worked for 50 Shades of Grey, though. I saw ads for that book everywhere!

That's because the publisher already had a good idea of how very popular it was going to be based on the early response to ARCs, and so purchased ads in support of the buzz the book was already getting.

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
Engage with readers, not as an author so much but as a fellow reader.

Participate in the conversation; being interesting, and genuinely engaged will cause readers/potential book buyers to look at your Profile or Sig, and then discover your books.

To me, this is the takeaway of this thread so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.