PDA

View Full Version : Meeting question

Lazara
08-24-2013, 06:43 PM
I'm about to be a part of a writing group which over a few days will meet with agents and publishers for lunches. While I am looking forward to it I have no idea of what to expect and what to wear so any advice would be very welcome.

Siri Kirpal
08-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Wear nice, but not extremely formal, clothes. Dressy casual.

As for the rest, are you going to be pitching to those agents/publishers? If so, prepare a sheet of paper with a quick synopsis, all the book details, and a short bio and your contact info, that you can give to anyone interested. If not, go with the flow. :)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Debbie V
08-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Expect it to be like meeting any other real people for lunch. No, really, they are real people. They don't know what to expect from you either.

Be polite; be yourself. Remove the stars from your eyes and don't be so much into sales mode that you forget the human factor.

waylander
08-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Ask them what books they've loved that came out in the last year.

Only Stronger
09-01-2013, 02:28 AM
Do some research on developing a pitch, and spend some time working on your pitch. The newly released edition of Writers Market (http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=writersmarket) has a good chapter on this. I am sure this forum and other internet resources could be helpful as well.