Smart iO9 post: The 7 Most Common Misconceptions About Science Fiction Publishing

Deleted member 42

See especially #7

io9/Lee Harris said:
Publishers won't spend any money marketing your book, unless you're an A-list author.

Says Lee Harris with Angry Robot Books, this is "so very, very untrue."
It's true that there is generally less money to spend on marketing than there used to be, and it's certainly true that publishers ask their authors to get involved in the marketing side of things more than, say, 20 years ago (although no respectable publisher will ever ask the author to spend their own money on this, only time). But there is money spent. How does your publisher spend their marketing funds? Well, let's look at some of the top ones (though there are many, many more).

I keep seeing this assertion that authors are responsible for most/all of the pr/sales/marketing. It's not true.

Read the whole thing.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Good article, thanks Medi.

The problem I see is that many of the self published writers have already bought the self publishing Kool-aid in that trade publishers REQUIRE their authors to market, market, market.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I suspect that many of those self-published authors previously dealt with very small presses and/or vanity-subsidy presses. Many of the former, and all of the latter, demand heavy marketing from their authors. I've read the website copy from small commercial presses and notorious subsidy presses. Lots of them go out of their way to give the impression that self-marketing is not only expected from all authors, but the industry norm.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Good article. #7 is indeed the only one that surprised me. I keep hearing that unless your book has already been chosen to be promoted (the absolute cream of the crop) you get literally no marketing at all.

Deleted member 42

Good article. #7 is indeed the only one that surprised me. I keep hearing that unless your book has already been chosen to be promoted (the absolute cream of the crop) you get literally no marketing at all.

For most publishers, the marketing is not something authors (or individual readers) ever see.

Publishers sell to "the trade"; that is, booksellers, distributors, wholesalers, and, to a lesser extent, libraries.

Publishers sell to people who buy multiples of books, not individual readers.

So their marketing is in the form of ads in trade journals, review copies, catalogs and promo materials that go to book buyers at stores, and to the publishers' own sales people who have relationships with the buyers at stores and distributors.

Authors almost never see any of that.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
So their marketing is in the form of ads in trade journals, review copies, catalogs and promo materials that go to book buyers at stores, and to the publishers' own sales people who have relationships with the buyers at stores and distributors.

Authors almost never see any of that.

I got a lovely surprise at a con (aimed main at people in the publishing business) when I looked in the goodie bag and found a really lovely promo pamphlet/brochure thingy, including a sample chapter etc -- it was back to back with another (well known) author's new release. I kind of squeed a bit -- ok a lot -- and my editor said they hadn't told me because a) they weren't sure the pamphlets would be ready on time and b) they figured it would be a lovely surprise if they were ready :D Anyway, it got a fair bit of interest, which is what it's for

But how much promo you do is usually up to you. Smaller pubs (with smaller budgets!) will probably expect you to do a lot more. Larger pubs it's more what you're willing/have time to do. My current pub, if something crops up, asks me if I would mind terribly doing X? Sometimes I say 'Oh, I have this idea could we?' They like it, certainly, that I'm willing to do promo, but there's plenty of authors who do little, or virtually none (KJ Parker frex doesn't do anything in person because who he/she is is a closely guarded secret)

If you're willing to do the whole twitter/blog/personal appearances (or as in Emma Newman's case recently, run a whole RPG game based on your world at a con, which sounded awesome) it's like a +2 bonus to your author roll. It's nice to have, but not essential because your pub will be doing what they can too, even if you don't see it. It's in their interest to sell as many of your books as they can (and in yours), not to let it disappear without trace. The more you help, the better they'll like it, but that's not the same as YOU MUST PROMO TILL YOU DIE

Last edited: