Who Shot Trayvon Martin? Paula Deen Did It!

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...on an upcoming episode of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit:

'Law & Order SVU' is tackling racial profiling head on in an upcoming episode that winds together the controversial Trayvon Martin case and the Paula Deen scandal.

In the episode, Cybill Shepard plays Jolene Castille, a famous southern chef. But instead of making a racial slur, like Deen, she guns down an unarmed, hoodie-wearing black teen she thought was following her on the Upper West Side, mirroring the Trayvon Martin slaying.

According to TV Guide, Castille claims she killed the teen in an act of self-defense because she knew police were chasing a rapist of the same description.

And Executive Producer Warren Leight confirmed it to Entertainment Weekly.

'(Jeffrey) Tambor is a defense attorney representing a very high-profile celebrity woman chef who thought she was being pursued by a rapist and turned around it was a teenager. And she shot him,' he said.

Leight told the magazine the episode will also deal with New York's stop-and-frisk policy.

He said the show would ask the tough questions.

'Is racial profiling justifiable? Can self-defense involve racial profiling? We're diving right into that,' he said. 'Can that happen in New York? Absolutely.'

The NBC sex-crimes drama is known for ripping plot lines straight from the headlines.

Last season, an episode depicted a violent love affair between two pop stars in a story that uncannily resembled Rihanna and Chris Brown's abusive relationship.

NBC is a fifth-rate TV network, languishing in the ratings cellar and they are desperate for eyes.

Mine won't be watching. However, while I won't see this hot exploitative mess, that doesn't mean they won't hear from me.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
So TV writing is just putting up the front page of a newspaper and throwing darts at it? And here I am putting all this effort into writing a novel!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't watched Law and Order in a long time. It used to be good. This seems like just a hot mess.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
SVU jumped the shark a long time ago. When you can reliably tell whodunit ten minutes into an episode, the writers are really phoning it in.

The L&O franchise used to be so good, too. Jerry Orbach and Jesse L. Martin were my favorite detective pairing.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
How is it ripped from the headlines when they change key details?

I used to watch SVU, but it's lost me.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
With Stabler gone, I'd much prefer to see Special Agent Gibbs tackle this kind of case.
Definitely.

It actually sounds stupid to me.

I haven't watched Law and Order in a long time. It used to be good. This seems like just a hot mess.
Me either. I never watched the spin-off SVU anyway. And I gave up on the main series a long time ago. It lost its mojo.

SVU jumped the shark a long time ago. When you can reliably tell whodunit ten minutes into an episode, the writers are really phoning it in.

The L&O franchise used to be so good, too. Jerry Orbach and Jesse L. Martin were my favorite detective pairing.
They were my favorite, and w/ S. Epatha Merkerson. They were awesome together.

Cranky1

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still trying to understand how this is a sex crime that would fit the unit's purpose. I would rather they tackle the legend of the sexually aggressive Black male savage who chases after sexually pure White female innocents.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I'm still trying to understand how this is a sex crime that would fit the unit's purpose. I would rather they tackle the legend of the sexually aggressive Black male savage who chases after sexually pure White female innocents.

They'll probably give it to them because it'll be a minor. They've stretched the SVU aspect once or twice or maybe a million times.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score

I didn't read the episode description. Perhaps it was secondary to the sex crime? Or resulting from it?

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com

The defense claims she was being pursued by a rapist.

I should mention I think this sounds propaganda-y in an Uncle Tom sort of way.

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would rather they tackle the legend of the sexually aggressive Black male savage who chases after sexually pure White female innocents.

Close. The concept here is that the innocent female is wearing a wedding dress and there will be a half-dozen middle-aged black males all clad in white jackets and black bow ties.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Close. The concept here is that the innocent female is wearing a wedding dress and there will be a half-dozen middle-aged black males all clad in white jackets and black bow ties.

Wearing shorts. Can't forget the shorts.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Is anybody else troubled by the ready access our memories have to stereotypical images?

There's some evidence to suggest we evolved that way for safety reasons, but it'd be nice to think we could move past it too.