Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I think you're fine, really.

I would avoid using the word 'fanfic', because that implies a derivative work based on something that's currently in copyright, and as you say, you've written a loose retelling.

As far as being up on ff.net goes: this used to be something that publishers would find problematic, but I don't think it's really an issue any more. The bookstores are full of stuff that was previously up on fanfic forums (Fifty Shades of Grey springs to mind), writing communities, or was previously self-published. It certainly wouldn't be a problem for me; increasingly I'd see it as an asset, if there was a ready-made community of fans in place.

I'd tell people that you'd workshopped it with an online writing group, maybe?

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I wouldn't put it in the submission, but if you get a request for a full I'd considered mentioning it there, something like "Some of this piece previously appeared online, but it was never posted in its entirety and the majority of the manuscript has been substantially rewritten." It's better to be open about the fact from the get-go.

Even if something doesn't appear on google, it'll often still pop up in the waybackmachine or google archives. Plus, you never know if the person you're subbing to was in fandom, and will recognise it regardless. Like Torgo says, a lot of the stigma has gone from reworked fanfiction now.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
... Actually, other than the basic idea: "Disfigured composer falls for hot young ingenue" there's not a lot to tie my version to the original novel either... it's set in a different time, different country, different type of music, and it's M/M.
:e2thud:
Tell me when I can buy it, please. :D

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I like the idea too. As a reader, I wouldn't be too concerned with its origins anyway. Everything gets inspiration somewhere.

And M/M has been a Thing as long as there's been fanfic... didn't someone here point out that some of the Greek classics were basically fanfic?

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Fifty Shades of You'll Be Fine.

And your story sounds a whole lot more awesome than reheated Twi-Bits. :D

Rina Evans

Registered
Reaction score
*grabby hands*

You'll be fine :D. No, I don't have anything else to add, I just wanted to show I want it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's always best to be completely upfront, completely honest, about the history of any writing. Doing so won't harm you, but not doing so can tick people off when they find out you weren't upfront and honest. And they will find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.