Children's picture e-books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just don't have any clue where to start.

I've been trying for years to get hard cover published. Now I've decided to put my mss into e-book form.

Where do I start?

Any advise?

Thank you!

Terri

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Your best bet is probably iBooks Author. Give me a few more details (extent, format etc) and I will try to advise.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your best bet is probably iBooks Author. Give me a few more details (extent, format etc) and I will try to advise.

Forgive me but I am not familiar with those terms (extent, format...) See, I really am raw when it comes to know where to start.

iBooks Author, thank you!

Check out MeeGenius.com. You can submit as a regular author or try out their contest. Keep at it.

Will check it out! Thank you!

This only works of a Mac computer. Fine if that's what you have.

No Mac. Thank you!

*Waves to Werri* :hi:

I'm going to subscribe to this thread. I know of two people who are wondering the same thing. Both have excellent illustrations they did themselves and a good storyline, and they want to go the children's ebook route.

*Waves back!*

Sorry it took me so long to get back in. Busy with kids this weekend.

Anymore advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! Terri

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
-OK, so the options are (assuming a standard 32pp picture book):

Yer basic epub, which we will call 'vanilla epub'. This can be read by just about anything and will convert easily to mobi format, for Kindle; your book can be made available on every platform.

The downside of vanilla is that you can't do any layout or typography. Text and pictures will exist essentially in a stack - a block of text, a pic, a block of text. You won't be able to have text going over the top of images, or appearing to one side.

(You could theoretically have picture book pages with integrated text which are rendered as flat images. I would avoid this, because vanilla epub is for such a range of devices - from little phone screens to b/w e-ink screens all the way up to tablet and PC displays - that you are inevitably going to end up with quite a lot of display sizes that make the text unreadably small.)

You can't do much in the way of playing with fonts or text layout. Also, because the typeface and its size is under user control for the most part, you don't know how the pages will fall - at certain type sizes things will reflow and sever pictures from text.

Basically I don't recommend vanilla epub for picture books unless you are doing something very simple, like, say, Beatrix Potter. You get a wider audience because you include e-ink readers, but the book looks rubbish on e-ink, so it doesn't feel like it's worth it. (It's very annoying to have to write disclaimers into the product description, too - "WARNING: This will look crap on Kindle.")

So I think the thing to do is to target tablets - iPads and Kindle Fires. These can support fixed-format picture books, using beefed-up EPUB in iBooks and in KF8 format for Kindle. These picture books essentially work like PDFs - exact copies of the print layout - and can have text overlaying pictures, and basically all the good stuff. Text can be zoomed or read aloud in some platforms. The bad news is, producing a fixed-format picture book file is not that simple. It requires HTML coding skills, essentially. This is how I produce picture ebooks - in the sense that I tell a much cleverer man in another office what I'd like done and he does all the coding.

If you have access to a Mac, then you can do this quite quickly and easily in iBooks Author (which is free); and it makes publishing to iBooks quite simple. Again, the bad news is you need access to a Mac running the latest system software. Perhaps you could borrow a MacBook for an evening or two?

The downsides of iBA: you only get to publish into iBooks. That isn't too bad, in my opinion - Kindle still isn't very focused on this kind of content. Also, iBooks Author is really intended for textbooks and the like, so all the basic templates are divided into chapters and sections etc. Perhaps there are custom templates out there now which remove those divisions?

If you can't get hold of a Mac for a bit and you can't code HTML and CSS etc, you could look into paying someone to do a fixed format EPUB/KF8 file. I am not sure how much it'd cost (when I outsource these, we get a bulk rate.) The problem here is that picture ebooks don't make very much money, at all. So you might not have a reasonable expectation of getting your money back if it costs more than a hundred quid or so.

Ros_Jackson

Registered
Reaction score
The problem here is that picture ebooks don't make very much money, at all. So you might not have a reasonable expectation of getting your money back if it costs more than a hundred quid or so.

Colour e-ink still has a long way to go, in terms of price, quality and availability. Very few would splash out on a such a device for a child. But until that's available, you have to choose between black and white e-ink, which loses a lot of detail and can be fiddly to keep zooming in and out of, and backlit tablets, which aren't as relaxing to read. And again, you're talking about putting a fairly expensive device in the sticky hands of youngsters.

There's another thread about schools starting to give pupils ipads for classroom use. It would be worth watching which devices get the most uptake, and tailoring your ebook to display best in those. I think changes in technology, and the uptake of technology, are going to change the economics of this kind of publishing drastically in the next few years, and it might be better to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.