PDA

View Full Version : Offer of Representation - is it worth chasing other agents?



gideonna
08-22-2013, 10:02 PM
I received an offer of representation (yay!) earlier this week and immediately contacted the other agents with the full to give them a chance to respond. One has just passed on rep. The other hasn't replied. Is it worth chasing the second agent? She seemed very enthusiastic when requesting the manuscript.

Has anyone been in this situation before? What would you suggest?

Undercover
08-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Well if you really really like this second agent that hasn't responded, then maybe nudge again? I mean, if she doesn't respond then she doesn't respond (and that I think says a lot right there.) If you're comfortable with the agent who offered, and like I said, haven't heard back. I would move forward.

Now if you're not so sure about this agent that offered, I would keep trying to contact second agent.

gideonna
08-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks - I spoke to the offering agent and am pretty keen to sign, but I'd still like to know whether the other agent is interested.

I gave the other agents a week to respond so if I haven't heard back by the deadline, I'll go ahead with the current offer.

Undercover
08-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Sounds like a plan! Good luck to you

katci13
08-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Congratulations and good luck!

quicklime
08-22-2013, 11:42 PM
I received an offer of representation (yay!) earlier this week and immediately contacted the other agents with the full to give them a chance to respond. One has just passed on rep. The other hasn't replied. Is it worth chasing the second agent? She seemed very enthusiastic when requesting the manuscript.

Has anyone been in this situation before? What would you suggest?


depends how bad you want them.....

that's sort of vague, but if you want them more, than yes, it would seem worth at least waiting on a response. Not sure how much more you can "chase them" than that thought anyway.

wampuscat
08-23-2013, 01:27 AM
The agent could be considering things, talking about your book with colleagues, etc. Since you gave a deadline, I'd stick with your plan.

Congratulations!!

OctoberLee
08-23-2013, 02:51 AM
Thanks - I spoke to the offering agent and am pretty keen to sign, but I'd still like to know whether the other agent is interested.

I gave the other agents a week to respond so if I haven't heard back by the deadline, I'll go ahead with the current offer.

This is a great plan - because she could be on vacation. And that doesn't make her a bad agent, everyone needs a vacation. Congratulations and best of luck! :)

Siri Kirpal
08-23-2013, 03:37 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats! May the best agent win!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

gideonna
08-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks so much for your kind words everyone! I've dreamt of being in this position for years!

Putputt
08-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks so much for your kind words everyone! I've dreamt of being in this position for years!

Congrats! What a great position to be in. Keep us updated. :)

Thedrellum
08-23-2013, 08:09 PM
First, congratulations!

Second, when I was in the position, all of the agents who had my full responded pretty quickly, whether in the "Not for me, but good luck!" manner or with a request for more time. If I was in your situation, I would send another e-mail to the agent who hasn't responded just to make sure that the first e-mail got through.

As others have said, though, if you're fully on board with the agent who originally offered, you've done all your required to do by notifying the other agents to begin with. If the second one doesn't respond, or responds too late, you shouldn't feel guilty.

Anyway, best of luck!