Inbox crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
So perhaps I chose the worst two weeks of the year to query, but I've heard absolutely nothing from 11 agents I queried this week and last week. I know a week is no time at all in agent land, but the people I sent queries to are active on Twitter, announcing new signed clients, and generally going about their agent-y business. And yet ... no replies. (I know, I know -- queries are the last thing on a million-item-long list of agent priorities.)

I want to send another batch of queries next Wednesday, but I'm burning through my agent list really quickly.

Is anyone else who's querying at this time encountering total silence? It seems like people who sent out queries at the beginning of August had a good response rate.

Impatient cow saysMOOOOOOO.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Take a deep breath.

Wait until you hear back from at least one agent. If it's a request for more--great! If not, check it off and *send the query out to another agent. *

You want to see if your queries are getting positive responses first. If after say, five queries, no one bites, revisit the query. And make sure you are targeting agents who rep what you write.

Now, exhale. And wait.

*I just realized you said you sent out 11 queries. Wait until you get five responses before sending out more queries. Patience is hard, but a good thing.

:)

Last edited:

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, stormie. Patience is not one of my strong suits! :p I just needed to vent after silently freaking out for 10 days. It's just been me and my inbox in this horrible, quiet staring contest.

I do have a full request, and a lot of the agents I've queried requested pages from me on my previous book, so I was able to mention that in their individual letters. I do hope to hear from most of them (ideally with good news!), it's just taking so much longer than I want.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, stormie. Patience is not one of my strong suits! :p I just needed to vent after silently freaking out for 10 days. It's just been me and my inbox in this horrible, quiet staring contest.

I do have a full request, and a lot of the agents I've queried requested pages from me on my previous book, so I was able to mention that in their individual letters. I do hope to hear from most of them (ideally with good news!), it's just taking so much longer than I want.

Yep, as I said in my rep to you, with a response to a full, that could take 3 months.

I noticed with my short stories that I sent out in the winter and spring, I received a lot of responses in the beginning of August, as if the editors were cleaning out their inboxes before vacation. So, yeah, it might take a few more weeks to get responses to your agent queries.

Good luck!

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
Stella, I share your impatience. There are so many agents I've queried who've never responded that it gets frustrating. I want to go to agentland and make an echoing shout, "HELLO! CAN YOU READ MY QUERY?"

My biggest complaint: the agents who say they will only respond if interested. Meanwhile, we're hanging onto the query cliff by our fingers. Well? Well?

*crickets*

Argh!

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed with my short stories that I sent out in the winter and spring, I received a lot of responses in the beginning of August, as if the editors were cleaning out their inboxes before vacation. So, yeah, it might take a few more weeks to get responses to your agent queries.

That's what I was worried about, that I really did pick the worst two weeks of the year to query. :( But the book was ready when it was ready, and I guess the agents will check their query queues eventually.

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
Stella, I share your impatience. There are so many agents I've queried who've never responded that it gets frustrating. I want to go to agentland and make an echoing shout, "HELLO! CAN YOU READ MY QUERY?"

My biggest complaint: the agents who say they will only respond if interested. Meanwhile, we're hanging onto the query cliff by our fingers. Well? Well?

*crickets*

Argh!

Good luck! Waiting is the worst, but it's the thing we seem to do the most of in this industry. Here's hoping for good news for us both. :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Here's why the querying process is so long: agents and editors are in an ultimately benevolent conspiracy to harden writers for all the looooooooong waits AFTER you get rep. And AFTER you get an offer. And AFTER the book goes into the production line.

For me and many, the only cure is to query according to a schedule until it becomes totally routine, while putting all your passion into writing the next book, not staring at the inbox. ;)

As for the so-called August doldrums. Last year (on MY vacation), I was dealing with studying and signing a contract. This year (on MY vacation), the copy editor is poised to send me an MS for review and input. So plenty of publishing people do stay busy this infamous month.

It's the psychiatrists that are all on Martha's Vineyard. :D

Last edited:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
For me and many, the only cure is to query according to a schedule until it becomes totally routine, while putting all your passion into writing the next book, not staring at the inbox. ;)
My bold.

Years ago, in the ancient times of snail mail, I used to watch for the mail carrier. Poor guy. As soon as I saw him, I'd swing the door open and grab the mail out of his hand. The wailing and gnashing of teeth happened after I shut the door and ran into the bathroom.

Thirteen years (and counting) and I haven't accosted a mail carrier in awhile.

And it's been a whole fourteen minutes since I checked my Inbox.

Last edited:

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
Here's why the querying process is so long: agents and editors are in an ultimately benevolent conspiracy to harden writers for all the looooooooong waits AFTER you get rep. And AFTER you get an offer. And AFTER the book goes into the production line.

As for the so-called August doldrums. Last year (on MY vacation), I was dealing with studying and signing a contract. This year (on MY vacation), the copy editor is poised to send me an MS for review and input. So plenty of publishing people do stay busy this infamous month.

It's the psychiatrists that are all on Martha's Vineyard. :D

Darn those psychiatrists! Gone just when we need their help the most!! ;)

It's good to know there's some activity in August. And I am keeping busy researching my next book, but I have that 2-second attention span issue where I keep stopping whatever I'm doing to check my inbox. (It doesn't help that I'm stuck in front of a computer for work M-F).

I think you're spot on about the waiting game. It's conditioning for the rest of a writing career. Sigh!

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the crickets have taken up permanent residence in my inbox. It's absolutely agonizing. I'm hoping things will pick up after Labor Day. (fingers crossed)

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
I can empathize. I sent out queries in March 2011 (for a project that has since been trunked) and almost all of them got responses. Mostly negative responses, of course, but still responses. Now that I'm querying another project, it seems like all I'm hearing this time around is crickets. But when I look at my querytracker stats, they list a lot more responses than I realized. So I guess it's just me getting impatient.

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
Good point about Labor Day, WKlein. I think I'll wait to send out my next batch of queries until the Tuesday after.

itsmary, I have to stop checking QueryTracker, because many of the agents I've queried show really fast average response times, and that's not helping me feel less crazy! :( I did get a few automated confirmation emails, so I know the queries went through.

I'm so ready for the weekend. Two more days of crickets is going to be rough.

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
itsmary, I have to stop checking QueryTracker, because many of the agents I've queried show really fast average response times, and that's not helping me feel less crazy! :( I did get a few automated confirmation emails, so I know the queries went through.

I should probably stop checking QueryTracker too. It's definitely not helping. :D

I did just get a form rejection this morning, though. Guess I made it happen by talking about it? haha

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You know I understand! I think what I find the hardest to wrap my brain around is not knowing if this is a "no response means no" kind of thing or a "my email is being eaten by internet gremlins" kind of thing. I haven't even been getting responses to snail-mail queries.

Upside? I'm really dealing with my spam email issues. Every time I get an email from a listserv or company that I don't care about, I go full-throttle on unsubscribing and filtering their email (instead of simply deleting).

Hang in there! I believe it will happen. :)

ETA: QT. Oh god. We have a love-hate relationship.

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
You know I understand! I think what I find the hardest to wrap my brain around is not knowing if this is a "no response means no" kind of thing or a "my email is being eaten by internet gremlins" kind of thing. I haven't even been getting responses to snail-mail queries.

Upside? I'm really dealing with my spam email issues. Every time I get an email from a listserv or company that I don't care about, I go full-throttle on unsubscribing and filtering their email (instead of simply deleting).

Hang in there! I believe it will happen. :)

ETA: QT. Oh god. We have a love-hate relationship.

I love that you found a silver lining to obsessing over your inbox. :D I will have to do the same!

The thing about QT is that it's so vague. I don't have a paid subscription, so I just see the average response times, and nothing to compare the last month or so. Which isn't helping me answer the question of "is it just me, or is it just when I queried?"

I'm hoping for good news for both of us (and sooner rather than later!). :)

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The paid subscription is only so helpful. You can kind of see if people who queried around the same time as you have gotten responses or not, but since agents read out of order, it's never a guarantee.

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
The paid subscription is only so helpful. You can kind of see if people who queried around the same time as you have gotten responses or not, but since agents read out of order, it's never a guarantee.

Oh, that's not helpful. Ugh. To the whiskey! ;)

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a rejection! I am absurdly happy to have gotten any email at all. Maybe this means agents are reading through their queries again??

Status
Not open for further replies.