Peaky Blinders - new BBC drama - spoilers

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
There's a few good actors in it. So fingers crossed. And it's a fascinating story. These fellas were vicious buggers.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Latest article on this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10280181/Peaky-Blinders-gangsters-with-brains.html

It starts 9pm this Thursday.

I'm glad I read the article as it makes it quite plain that they aren't even trying to be historically accurate so I shall just regard as being filmed somewhere I don't know and have never been. That will stop me getting annoyed at the rubbish they put in it! LOL!

I grew up in the areas it's set, Small Heath and Bordesley Green, and I know the history well. So at least I should be able to enjoy it for the acting, the way I did Broadwalk Empire.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
That was really good! Much better than I expected.

A few dodgy accents but Cillian Murphy's was pretty good. And it pulled me into the story pretty quickly. I really enjoyed it. And there were mentions of real places and factories and events that grounded me. I shall be watching the rest.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Lordy me! That was brilliant. The part with Tommy and Campbell in the tea rooms.... where you can see in Campbell's eyes that he wants to kill Tommy there and then.... brilliant acting!

And Black Velvet Band.... many is the time I've belted that out in the Dubliner..... sigh.

Superb stuff.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
apparently the accents are accurate for the time - the brummie accent was quite a bit softer back then. So I've been told anyway.

Black Velvet Band's not a sad song! It's quite upbeat whenever I've heard it played. Should've gone for Fields of Athenry although obviously they were going for the 'woman leads you into temptation' parallel.

Really enjoying the show so far, and not just for Murphy's pretty prettiness. Although that is nice.

And they even got some Angloromani spoken in there too!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, people tend to sing The Dubliners version of PVB and they do it upbeat. But it is a sad subject. The poor fella's being transported!

As for the accents, there is many a variety in there! Tommy and Aunt Polly are probably the most accurate. The rest are all over the shop.

That was actual Angloromani?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
This is getting better and better! The setting is amazing and it's so good to hear about bits of my hometown and their history. The whole Sparkbrook/IRA thing was really interesting.

crunchyblanket

Registered
Reaction score
I like the way the characters interact - it's never quite what it first seems. I'm particularly fond of Aunt Pol.

This series is really good so far. Looking forward to see what'll become of the deal with Kimber...if there is a deal.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
She definitely has the best lines. 'I'm having trouble with him, and I'm twice the man you are.'

LOL!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Wow! I can see how Aunt Poll kept things going during the war. That look she gave Tommy at the end!

And Grace, how could you? Ada had just give birth, how could you do that to her?

crunchyblanket

Registered
Reaction score
The plot thickens! Tommy's not a stupid boy. He'll figure it out. In fact, I suspect he already has an inkling - keep your friends close and all that. As Mr M pointed out, there's a motive for nearly everything Tommy does, and it's not always what you'd expect.

Can I just say, though - Cillian Murphy speaking Angloromani - phew! *fans self*

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Where does the name Romani come from? I assume it's Italian in some way? The language sounds like it has deep Latin roots.

crunchyblanket

Registered
Reaction score
In the language, 'Rom' means man ('Romani' technically is a feminine noun, if I remember rightly.) The language itself is Indo-European - there are lots of very diverse dialects but the common roots of the language are thought to be shared with Punjabi, Sanskrit and other South Asian languages.

The dialect Murphy and the Roma woman were speaking is Angloromani, which is sort of a Romani-English hybrid. There's some good info on it here:
Anglo-Romani is thus a vocabulary, rather than a ‘language’ in the strict sense. It is used within the framework of English conversation, English sentences, and English grammar and pronunciation, thus:

The mush was jalling down the drom with his gry.
'The man was walking down the road with his horse

I wish I spoke more of it. I know the odd word and phrase but basically nothing, alas.

crunchyblanket

Registered
Reaction score
I think the origins of that word are from Romanian - which is a bit of an anachronism on their part, actually, since the Romanian influence on the Angloromani dialect wouldn't have happened until at least the second world war - I don't think Romanians were especially widespread in the UK before that.

Not complaining, though - even if it is a more modern version of the language, it's nice to hear them rokker the chib ;)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
So... the language is Romani which encompasses various dialects like AngloRomani and the people are called Roma? Or Romanies? Do I have that right?

crunchyblanket

Registered
Reaction score
So... the language is Romani which encompasses various dialects like AngloRomani and the people are called Roma? Or Romanies? Do I have that right?

There are lots of 'correct' ways to refer to Romani people: Roma, Romani(es), Rom, Rromane (extra 'R' optional) Some Roma don't mind 'gypsy', some aren't keen. (and then you get half-and-halfs, like me, which are referred to as 'diddicois' - the spelling varies.)

As for the language, the root of all the dialects is Romani (or Romani Chib) but some of the dialects are so far removed from that root they're practically new languages. The Sinti (a Romani subgroup from middle Europe - Germany, North Italy kind of area) speak quite a weird dialect.

Whoops, this is a bit of a derail ;)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Well... there's only me and you here so I think it's allowed....

:tongue

It's very interesting. I always love learning something new.

crunchyblanket

Registered
Reaction score
ahaha, well I'm glad, then. I'm no authority on the subject, though - my own roots are a mystery to me, and since I've never actually lived in a proper Romani community, all I've got to go on is stories and book learning.

Is it just me or does Freddie Thorne always look faintly grimy? Maybe it's the hair...

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I cannot stand Freddie Thorne. He's a fanatical selfish son of a bitch who thinks nothing of putting his wife and child in danger.

In the cemetary scene, I was shouting at Pol to just shoot him and have done with it! LOL!