PDA

View Full Version : my cats are WEIRD.

Anninyn
08-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Before I vanished, I was just picking up kittens.

I got them. They are now cats.

And they are WEEEEEEEIRD.

Bonny is very stupid. She's pretty and athletic and affectionate but any thoughts in her head are very simple and not connected. She frequently forgets how to do basic things. She likes to watch us pee. And do... other things. When it's cold, she mews at me until I unzip my hoodie or whatever, then climbs inside and goes to sleep.

Anne has a congenital birth defect - her hips are a little wonky, her limbs are stumpy and her tail is crooked. She can't jump very far and other normal cat things require a certain amount of trickyness. For example, to clean her lower body, she gets up in a sitting position against a wall and uses the support to bend over and clean. She likes to try and climb doorframes.

they're both tiny - about half the size of the other cats in the neighbourhood and CLINGY.

GOD I MISSED HAVING CATS MY LIFE IS COMPLETE even if they do sit on the keyboard when I'm writing.

Caitlin Black
08-21-2013, 01:49 AM
LOL. The cat here watches me pee, too. Silly kitty.

:)

Sci-Fi Stacey
08-21-2013, 01:54 AM
My cat used to pay homage to our dog with offerings of dead things. We joked that it was a "Mafia family" atmosphere among our pets. Our dog being the Godfather and the others her minions. Pretty hilarious.

Anninyn
08-21-2013, 03:13 AM
Cats are the best things. Though Jos isn't so keen when they sit on his head and purr at 6AM.

seun
08-23-2013, 03:06 PM
One of ours, Sean, often goes for a wee at the same time I do.

Both of us in his tray is a nightmare.

JulianneQJohnson
08-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Our cats consider bathroom time as petting time. After all, to them we're just sitting there "doing nothing."

Anninyn
08-23-2013, 03:25 PM
I often catch Bonny drinking from the toilet.

seun
08-23-2013, 03:47 PM

Nasty.

Anninyn
08-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Nasty.

I don't know why. There's always fresh water for her.

Anne prefers to get her water by knocking over cups, glasses and bottles, then lapping up the contents. I have a video of her doing this on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzGLCgIR1Qg

When we take this carpet up, the floor is going to have so many waterstains.

seun
08-23-2013, 04:20 PM
If I leave a glass of water on the floor, Sean will knock it over and then walk away. I'm sure he has a reason for it. Buggered if I know what it is, though.

LilahLangdon
08-23-2013, 04:21 PM

I had a cat that would insist on drinking bathwater, while you were in it.

Anninyn
08-23-2013, 04:24 PM
If I leave a glass of water on the floor, Sean will knock it over and then walk away. I'm sure he has a reason for it. Buggered if I know what it is, though.

Anne won't even *knock* them over but *pull* them over. She gets up on her hind legs and drags them over with her paw. I mean, they're little cats but 2.5k is still heavy enough to knock over a cup, you know?

Sometimes they do stuff that leaves me boggling.

I had a cat that would insist on drinking bathwater, while you were in it.

gotta have that delicious tang of human flesh!

Both cats will lick the water dripping off our limbs when we exit the bath which is a very strange sensation,

Heathertruett
08-23-2013, 09:51 PM
I miss having a second kitty. Hocus is our daily entertainment. He sleeps in the strangest places. He only likes me when no one is looking though.

Undercover
08-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Stormy pees the same time I do too. Maybe it's a cat thing. He drinks from the dogs water bowl and can't stand it when I don't give him the attention he desires when HE desires it. He is meowing in my ear as I type this, seriously.

(hada hold him and rock him for a bit...anyway)

He loves food off the grill. Chicken is his ultimate favorite. And he follows me, always sleeps at the foot of my bed and sits with me at the computer about 75% of the time. The rest of the time he's MIA (even though we're in love with each other, he likes his alone time too thank God.)

shakeysix
08-23-2013, 10:18 PM
I had two cats, Scout and Liv. I swore I would never have three and then, on Christmas Eve 20011, the most annoying cat in the whole damn world started hanging around our back stairs. He was young, not quite full grown, skinny and he has the worst nonstop meow--very low and frantic, like a broken toy--Chuckie maybe, and the same creepy orange hair!

Of course I fed him but I gave orders not to let him in the house. One day my kid didn't have her glasses on and did just that. He sauntered in and jumped up on the sofa like he belonged, meowing in that Gravle Gertie voice of his. We named him Sundown because he is orange and was hanging around our back stair.

When I drive up in the car he comes running, even if he is in the field across the street. I don't know how he does it but he meows while he runs. Then he dodges between my feet all the way to the kitchen, still meowing. I MUST feed him immediately, never mind I have a briefcase full of papers or a bag of groceries. What an asshole!--s6

mirandashell
08-23-2013, 10:24 PM
You know that feeling that someone is watching you? The one that wakes you up in the night with your heart pounding?

Yeah... my friend's cat. When I stayed with her he would walk up my bed and stare at my face from about 6 inches away.

I really didn't like that cat.....

jjdebenedictis
08-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Some friends of ours had a small indoor peat bog, i.e. a little pot full of peat moss and other bog plants.

At the bottom of it was a drainage dish full of thoroughly disreputable-looking water in a nasty shade of peat-bog-brown.

Yep. Their cat strongly preferred drinking that water.

cornflake
08-23-2013, 11:10 PM
You know that feeling that someone is watching you? The one that wakes you up in the night with your heart pounding?

Yeah... my friend's cat. When I stayed with her he would walk up my bed and stare at my face from about 6 inches away.

Heh, I knew someone had a cat that dearly loved fucking with people. She'd allow you to pet her three pets. Would purr and stretch and act quite happy she was being adored - until you tried to stroke her a fourth time, at which point she'd rake her claws down the length of your forearm, then calmly get up and walk off.

She also enjoyed sneaking into the guest room and waiting until you were asleep, then crouching on the windowsill, a couple of feet from the bed. She'd then stare until you woke up (because something was staring at you), and when you realized, half asleep, that the something was a cat, crouched in the dark, she'd pounce from the sill onto your face. Then just saunter off.

mirandashell
08-24-2013, 12:30 AM
Yeah.... are you sure that's not the same cat?

shakeysix
08-24-2013, 12:35 AM
My mom had a cat that would eat bread. He would bite through the bread wrapper and chew the bread soggy--the whole loaf. The highest crime in our house was to leave the bread out! --s6

cornflake
08-24-2013, 12:44 AM
Yeah.... are you sure that's not the same cat?

Was actually British - named Fleur, somewhere between a tortoiseshell and calico in looks. If this is the same cat, this is a very, very weird coincidence.

Caitlin Black
08-24-2013, 01:10 AM
Mum's cat can be a bit psychotic at times. I used to let him sleep on the end of my bed.

Then one night, I dreamt that a snake was eating my foot. I woke up, and the cat had his mouth wrapped around my foot. Another time, I was in the lounge room on my laptop, and the cat was rubbing against my legs. I wasn't paying him much attention, then suddenly he wrapped one of his legs around mine, so that the claws were at the back, and ever so slowly and meaningfully dragged his claws down the length of my leg. Ouch!

I had a rather nasty gash there after that.

And then there was the time when I was sitting in a recliner, and the cat jumped up. So I shifted my legs so he could lie down, which he did, and went to sleep. About half an hour later, he wakes up, his ears go back, and all of a sudden his front claws AND his mouth are attacking one of my legs.

I have no idea what set him off that time. I hadn't moved at all... Bloody cat. He'll also follow me around, trying to trip me up by rubbing against my legs as I walk.

I don't let him in my bedroom anymore (see snake biting foot) so he's always trying to get in there. I actually have to distract him somehow and get in my room and close the door as fast as I can.

It wouldn't be a problem, but he really likes my bed - so if I let him in during the day, he'll stay there up until night time. And I refuse to let him sleep on my bed while I'm asleep. Oh, and trying to pick him up to move him usually results in a number of war wounds...

As for what he drinks... He prefers it if someone will turn the bathroom sink tap on for him. Previously, sis would cup her hand under the water, and he'd drink out of her hand. So that's what he wants most. Usually he just gets the plug put in and the sink partially filled.

Heathertruett
08-24-2013, 08:11 PM
In high school, I'd sleep at a friends and wake up to her car sucking my ear lobe.

Not even kidding.

mirandashell
08-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Was actually British - named Fleur, somewhere between a tortoiseshell and calico in looks. If this is the same cat, this is a very, very weird coincidence.

It sure would! But you're alrigh, it's not! LOL!.

I think my friend's cat was called Tiger cos it was striped. I mostly called it 'gerroff me, you little bastard'......

shakeysix
08-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Has anyone watched the Sad Cat Diaries on youtube? The one about "the authorities" closing the bedroom door is SO my cat Scout! --s6

Susan Littlefield
08-24-2013, 09:33 PM
My cats are quite the team. Buddy is ten and Oliver is five. I've had Buddy since he was about one and Oliver since he was six weeks old. My cats became best friends at first sight. :)

Buddy taught Oliver all of these wonderful things:

How to unroll toilet paper (I saw that one with my own eyes. Buddy would unroll some of the TP, Oliver would follow suit, then Buddy would show him again, on and on).

How to pounce on the bed at 6 a.m. while Buddy innocently watched (that way, Oliver gets into trouble).

How to keep us occupied so Buddy could steal some food from a dish.

How to take on a charming tummy-up pose in an effort to get some table scraps (they keep trying, but I don't feed my cats at the table).

How to steal food when nobody is looking.

Other things:

Oliver likes to come into the bathroom while I'm...um...tinkling.

Buddy waits for me in the bathroom while I'm showering. When I'm all dried off, he's ready to go do something else.

Oliver hides behind the couch when loud people come over. He won't come out until he's sure they're long gone.

Buddy has a drama fit around food (I have to separate the cats at mealtime because Buddy has a compulsive eating problem).

Both cats like to hide in the bedroom closet and NOT answer when I call for them. They love it that I think they got outside or something (they're inside cats).

The list goes on. :)

Canotila
08-24-2013, 09:36 PM
The ex's cat which I am currently stuck with pooped on my shoe. While I was wearing it.

Susan Littlefield
08-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Here's another story for you, but it involves a dog too.

About eight years ago, I was staying with my cousin for a visit. She had a Rottweiler and a cat, both of whom I was told were a bit leery of strangers.

The animals pretty much ignored me until one day the cat decided to let me pet her. My cousin thought that was a bit strange. The dog got used to me too and was really sweet.

Well, I'd been there a few days when one morning I woke up really hot and felt like my blankets were wrapped all around me. It took me a few moments to realize the dog was laying right beside me with her back against my back and the cat was curled up right against my chest.

That was pretty cool.

Mr Flibble
08-24-2013, 10:26 PM
We got two kittens (in addition to our Special Needs rescue cat) last year.

Officially the kittens are named Kochanski (f tortie) and Jupiter (m ginger).

They are unofficially known as (and answer to) Sweetie-puss and Bastar-puss.

Sweetie-puss follows me to work on a Saturday at 5am. She then sits outside the door where she can see me and mews pathetically to get in. When the lady from the flat upstairs comes down at 5.45 for her morning ciggie, Sweetie-puss goes and has a nose around her flat, until we open when she start being cute to all customers (in an effort to get into the shop), before she heads into the back yard to see if I've forgotten to shut the door, in which case she'll be in the stock room. She'll follow any one of us when we leave the house -- she turned up under the pub pool table a few weeks ago having followed the Old Man.

Bastar-puss is, perhaps unfortunately, almost exactly the same colour as the floor and it is his delight to camo himself and leap out onto unsuspecting bare legs with claws a forethought. Also he's not that keen on men, and will attack husband with no provocation at 3am. Hence his nick-name.

Our rescue cat, Gibby, is...ok, I can't say for sure, but he's not a normal cat. We think he's mostly blind, which would explain things. Or possibly is the most graceless cat ever to walk the earth. I mean, they say cats are smarter than dogs, but I've never seen a dog fall in the toilet. He'll sit on the dining room table and dither about jumping off for half an hour, then fall off. We're pretty sure he was never allowed out from the place he was rescued, so he's just getting used to the (OMG SCARY!) freedom. He's very shy, but has picked up Sweetie's habit of following us down the road and is just starting to come out of his shell and will now accept a cuddle.

A house isn't home without cats.

Anninyn
08-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Anne and Bonny go outside. but never very far. We have a balcony that they like to spend time on. Bonny will jump up on to the balcony from the bin enclosure downstairs. She will then forget how to get down.

If the balcony door is closed, this leads to her prowling the balcony ledge, mewing.

I swear, she has about 1/4 of the brains she should have.

they both follow us when they leave the house and the neighbours have got very used to the sight of us leaving, followed by two tiny black and white kittys.

Mr Flibble
08-24-2013, 10:53 PM
It did get a bit ridiculous the other week. After having a whale of a time for five hours, we had a delivery and I had to get my son to come and take Sweetie-puss home before she got squashed (or the delivery driver ran off with her -- he was very taken with her!)

Heathertruett
08-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Those crack me up.

Has anyone watched the Sad Cat Diaries on youtube? The one about "the authorities" closing the bedroom door is SO my cat Scout! --s6

Brightdreamer
08-25-2013, 01:25 AM
No matter how weird, annoying, or otherwise peculiar your cats may be... be sure to give 'em a hug today. While you can.

(Rainbow Bridge's population grew by one this morning...)

Anninyn
08-25-2013, 01:34 AM
No matter how weird, annoying, or otherwise peculiar your cats may be... be sure to give 'em a hug today. While you can.

Oh, no. I'm so sorry.

Mr Flibble
08-25-2013, 02:37 AM
Oh no! Me too.

Hope your moggy is up there chasing his/her favourite prey and leaving it on [insert deity of your choice]'s doorstep as a present.

Susan Littlefield
08-25-2013, 09:20 AM

I'm sorry to hear that, Brightdreamer. I hug and kiss my cats all the time and they pretend like it annoys them, but secretly they love it. :D