Ask Pam van Hylckama Vlieg:

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
Hey guys! I love AW and wanted to start a thread here for you to ask me questions. I'll try to check in every weekday!

General questions are fine, weird questions are fine. My specialties are:
Adult-
Fantasy
Science Fiction
Romance
Erotica

Kid Lit:
MG
YA
NA

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
It's nice to meet you! I'm going to follow you on twitter like Mclesh. Someone needs to get the questions started! (But not me.)

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
Bring on the questions! And the hot guys with drinks and leaves and oh who am I kidding...

Jonathan Dalar

Science fiction, horror and fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonathandalar.blogspot.com
Wonderful that you're offering your expertise here, Pam. Thank you.

For those not already following her on Twitter (and the agency account, which she tweets from on occasion) I highly recommend it. Much good advice dispensed.

First question for you: NA is fairly new, and from the (maybe limited) amount I've seen, it seems to be focused on two primary things - sex, and making it on your own in the world for the first time - both things that are key to 20-somethings, and both different from YA. However, from what I've seen, sex (and all things related) seems to be the primary force behind NA, and not just the concept of suddenly being an adult and not knowing how it all works. So, assuming I'm not way off base with my observations here, do you see this changing as the category becomes more firmly rooted in literary norms? Do you see it taking off as a full category, or being relegated to a sub-category of "YA+adult content?"

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
Wonderful that you're offering your expertise here, Pam. Thank you.

For those not already following her on Twitter (and the agency account, which she tweets from on occasion) I highly recommend it. Much good advice dispensed.

First question for you: NA is fairly new, and from the (maybe limited) amount I've seen, it seems to be focused on two primary things - sex, and making it on your own in the world for the first time - both things that are key to 20-somethings, and both different from YA. However, from what I've seen, sex (and all things related) seems to be the primary force behind NA, and not just the concept of suddenly being an adult and not knowing how it all works. So, assuming I'm not way off base with my observations here, do you see this changing as the category becomes more firmly rooted in literary norms? Do you see it taking off as a full category, or being relegated to a sub-category of "YA+adult content?"

I'm hoping for NA honestly. Kids enjoy reading up. My daughter is in fourth grade so she's reading books about middle school. There's no fiction for teens to read about the college years.

Right now NA is firmly ensconced in the romance genre. I hope to see it break out and be viable in all genres and become a reading level like YA/MG.

When YA became a thing a shelf was made at the big box stores. Amazon has created a category, Publisher's Marketplace has made it a sale category. Now we need B&N to say, yes this is a viable category, and make some shelving.

When that happens the rest of publishing will take note and it will become more reading level than romance-esque.

Right now, like Bon Jovi, I'm living on a prayer.

You can thank me later for putting that song in your head.

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question. This one is sort of brought over from a discussion I saw on another thread. What language do you think is and is not typically acceptable in MG? There's some debate over words like hell, damn, crap, sucks, and screwed. I like them all, but...

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Since NA isn't a well-established category there are no real rules out yet regarding length and such.

I've written an NA novel, which has had lukewarm response from the agents I've queried so far, one of whom (and a highly placed one at that) said specifically that he'd be interested if it were about 20% longer, but as it stands he feels it would be a tough sell.

Do you think that NA literature can or should be shorter than Adult lit, or should I think about how I can rewrite my manuscript to bring it up to size?

For reference, this is a high-concept, paranormalish/science-fictiony thriller that currently sits a little over 62,000 words. (also part of the problem may be that I'm not sure exactly where it fits genre-wise)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You're a brave woman, Pam. Brace yourself!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bring on the questions! And the hot guys with drinks and leaves and oh who am I kidding...
I'm going to lob an easy one in your general direction: what leaves?

Maryn, no figs growing 'round here

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
I have a question. This one is sort of brought over from a discussion I saw on another thread. What language do you think is and is not typically acceptable in MG? There's some debate over words like hell, damn, crap, sucks, and screwed. I like them all, but...

For me I like most of those for MG. Hell, damn, and screwed may not work. The problem isn't the agent or the publisher (although I'm sure many of them don't like those words for kids. I'd freak if my 9yo said damn.), it is the fact that kids read up. So it will be 8 and 9 year old kids that read MG books and damn and hell may be too rough for them or the gatekeepers that can reach kids of that age.

I'd say think about the words your mom would let you say at 8 and then spice it up a little from there.

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
Since NA isn't a well-established category there are no real rules out yet regarding length and such.

I've written an NA novel, which has had lukewarm response from the agents I've queried so far, one of whom (and a highly placed one at that) said specifically that he'd be interested if it were about 20% longer, but as it stands he feels it would be a tough sell.

Do you think that NA literature can or should be shorter than Adult lit, or should I think about how I can rewrite my manuscript to bring it up to size?

For reference, this is a high-concept, paranormalish/science-fictiony thriller that currently sits a little over 62,000 words. (also part of the problem may be that I'm not sure exactly where it fits genre-wise)

I'm basing my NA word count of YA word counts. 62k is great if it is strictly contemporary/realistic fiction. If it is anything else 75-90k may work better.

I also have tis rule about not listening to one rejection. Because it is so subjective doing that will have you constantly changing your query and your MS.

If three or more agents say the same thing you may have a fundamental problem. Otherwise, take it with a grain of salt.

Also, if you send out 10 queries and get 8 or more rejections at query level, rewrite the query. Then send 10 more and see how that goes.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
1) Have you always been awesome, or was it a skill you developed?
2) Did you keep the Kitteh?
3) Batman and Chuck Norris in a fist fight. Who wins?

Last edited:

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Pam, thank you for taking your time here.

How important do you think it is for authors to be on social media and/or to self-promote their own books? Would there be any reluctance to signing an author who is not on any social media, but otherwise had a marketable book?

sirensix

Mediocre Sorceress
Registered
Reaction score
Say you request a manuscript on a Tuesday, via email... and receive the requested manuscript the following Monday via email. Is this delay a deal-breaker? How badly will it affect your opinion of the writer in question?

This question in NO way relates to me personally. Of course. Not a bit.

Ton Lew Lepsnaci

A WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Pam,

Many thanks for sharing your insights.

I wonder what your take is on word count for high/epic fantasy submissions? Is word count more flexible at the higher end than for other genres? Are there thresholds above which you won't go (for debuts)? Is there an indicative word count for this genre that is unlikely to lead to a request for cuts? Does it depend on the publisher? I've read on a number of occasions that the genre is treated differently when it comes to word count, but also that this only goes for established authors.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
I notice that your specialties don't include horror. That's not unusual: it seems like many of the agents that do include horror as a specialty don't actually place a lot of it. So, why is that? Why is it that finding an agent that actively sells horror is so difficult?

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Hi, Pam,

Thanks for coming to AW to take questions!

I have one: Several of the critters I've asked to read my work do not know what the word 'Beltane' means. Do I need to explain in the manuscript or just hope that any future readers will either look it up or know what it means?

PS I keep a pencil and paper handy when I'm reading some authors so I can write down any words that I don't know and look them up later, but I may be unusual in this practice. PPS I was in the 98th percentile in verbal ability in the GRE, so I love it when I find a word I don't know and have to look it up.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I've been writing on and off for a while an adventure story for NA range before there was such a thing. I put it down for a while as at the time I was told there was no market for that age range. I picked it up again and I toyed with making it YA. Then about a year ago I had an agent tell me treasure adventures are not really a YA thing but more for MG.

So now I'm confused. Adults read (for example) DiVinci Code or Clive Cussler's books. It can't be the only young people these days who like adventures are middle grade, can it?

I intend to go back to my original plan, but I don't know, some of the YA I pick up seems so depressing, I hope there is more to NA. Not all teens have abusive homes, on drugs, been raped or chased by vampires, right? Am I just picking up the wrong books?

Hope that's not too many questions....

Last edited:

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Oh! This is actually perfect.

Something I've been thinking about and wanted to hear what an agent had to say about it:

One of the novels I'm currently looking to publish is an "edgy" YA, it deals with a particular, fairly dark, issue )(is this ironic based on the last question?hmm.) But I'm in the revision stages of a MG fantasy. In this case, assuming I publish both, would you suggest a pseudonym for one of them?

I do have another question, but I'll wait my turn for that one.

Thanks so much for this! Love the agent/writer support.

Last edited:

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
Oh! This is actually perfect.

Something I've been thinking about and wanted to hear what an agent had to say about it:

One of the novels I'm currently looking to publish is an "edgy" YA, it deals with a particular, fairly dark, issue )(is this ironic based on the last question?hmm.) But I'm in the revision stages of a MG fantasy. In this case, assuming I publish both, would you suggest a pseudonym for one of them?

I do have another question, but I'll wait my turn for that one.

Thanks so much for this! Love the agent/writer support.

I honestly don't think a pen name is needed between MG and YA. :) I love both and know a ton of writers who write in both. Edgy or no.