PDA

View Full Version : The Frankfurt Book Fair

efreysson
08-19-2013, 11:51 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes:

I'm an Icelandic fantasy author and I'm looking for ways to get my stuff published abroad.
It's been suggested to me to go to that huge Frankfurt book fair in October. I was told I would need to buy a ticket to enter, and get in touch with publishers beforehand and book meetings in order to be able to meet with them and present my novels.

The lady who told me this, who has been to the fair, admitted that I do have slimmer chances than an actual publishing house but that it might be worth TRYING at least.

I've never been present for anything like this. Can anyone advice me? Is it in any way realistic for me to try to go without the backing of a publisher? What are my chances of getting a fantasy publisher to agree to talk to me?

Medievalist
08-19-2013, 11:55 PM
I've never been present for anything like this. Can anyone advice me? Is it in any way realistic for me to try to go without the backing of a publisher? What are my chances of getting a fantasy publisher to agree to talk to me?

It's daft. You'd be better off spending the money to go to a World Fantasy con, honestly.

Frankfurt is fabulous, but it's designed to sell to the trade, it's publishers selling to retail buyers/distributors for stores. Editors and agents go, but they're not the target. There's an older thread about Frankfurt here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191704&highlight=Frankfurt

Have you submitted to Tor or Baen? Both are good publishers; neither require an agent. Both publish authors whose native language isn't English and who aren't in the U.S.

waylander
08-20-2013, 12:57 AM
World Fantasy Con is in the UK this year.
WorldCon is in London next year.
Both of these offer opportunities to talk to agents and editors.

Old Hack
08-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Lots of book deals are made at Frankfurt; but the chances of you getting appointments with the editors who might buy your book are slim to none. The people who will meet up with you are publishers who are after your money, not your book.

Get yourself an agent. Let her handle your foreign rights deals. It will be much more effective.

aruna
08-31-2013, 12:36 AM
I've been to the Book Fair a couple of times as I live not too far from Frankfurt. It is HUGE and there are enormous crowds pouring through it at all times. The agent area is in an enclosed space and you can't get in unless you have a specific invite from an agent/editor. It just isn't a place for authors and agents aren't interested in meeting us there.

waylander
08-31-2013, 01:11 AM
A bunch more tickets for World Fantasy in Brighton have just been released