PDA

View Full Version : Authors' postings, blogs, plogs and web sites

book_maven
02-18-2006, 10:38 PM

L M Ashton
02-19-2006, 07:16 PM
One of my favorite authors also write political commentary which I tend to not agree with, but I don't particularly care. I enjoy his books because they're brilliant and entertaining. I'm the same way with favorite music or actors - so they have flaky lives or their lifestyles or politics are hugely different from mine. So what? It's the music or the acting I enjoy, not the personality. I don't have to live with their quirks and attitudes. It has nothing to do with me.

If that writer or whoever had a blog, I'd probably check it out. If I found it entertaining, informative, educational, I'd probably keep reading. If it was boring, I wouldn't.

That aforementioned favorite author has a forum, and he occasionally interacts on the forum. Most of the time, it's nice and he's funny or insightful, but he has, on occasion, gone a little over the deep end. I disagreed with him - thought he was dead wrong. I also thought he was excessively rude to one particular poster. Oh well. We all have our bad days. If he was consistently like that, I'd probably stop visiting the forum - I see no reason to subject myself to nastiness - assuming I didn't get anything else from it. But I think that's what it all boils down to - what's in it for me? I don't mean that in a completely and totally greedy way, but to be realistic - if there's no benefit to me going to a site, to read a blog, to... whatever, I'm not going to do that. Neither is anyone else. There has to be something that we get out of it.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind it if Amazon, for example, posted the blog links to those authors when I visited the Amazon site, but for them to send me yet more email without my permission? No way. I don't need more junk. If I want to find an author's website or blog, I know how to find it.