Status
Not open for further replies.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I have written an proposal for a non-fiction book. I'm in the query phase, and along with a lot of "no means no" and form rejections, I did get a very nice personal rejection from one of my dream agencies (so that was encouraging). I'm still querying agents, but I'm also looking ahead to what I will do if I "run out". (Looking for Christian agents does limit the field considerably.)

So I was reading about publishers in The Christian Writer's Market Guide 2013 by Jerry B. Jenkins (apparently he took it over from the woman that wrote it in previous years). I noticed that several of the entries have a note at the end "This publisher serviced by ChristianManuscriptSubmissions.com. According to The Christian Writer's Market Guide even Thomas Nelson and Zondervan use this service.

If you aren't familiar with it, here is the basic premise--authors pay a fee to have their query or proposal uploaded to the site. Publishers can then browse the listings and see if there is anything that meets their particular need. Kind of like a job listing board where you upload your resume.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has used this service and what was your experience?

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I have written an proposal for a non-fiction book. I'm in the query phase, and along with a lot of "no means no" and form rejections, I did get a very nice personal rejection from one of my dream agencies (so that was encouraging). I'm still querying agents, but I'm also looking ahead to what I will do if I "run out". (Looking for Christian agents does limit the field considerably.)

So I was reading about publishers in The Christian Writer's Market Guide 2013 by Jerry B. Jenkins (apparently he took it over from the woman that wrote it in previous years). I noticed that several of the entries have a note at the end "This publisher serviced by ChristianManuscriptSubmissions.com. According to The Christian Writer's Market Guide even Thomas Nelson and Zondervan use this service.

If you aren't familiar with it, here is the basic premise--authors pay a fee to have their query or proposal uploaded to the site. Publishers can then browse the listings and see if there is anything that meets their particular need. Kind of like a job listing board where you upload your resume.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has used this service and what was your experience?

I have not used this service, but in general, just because publishers can browse the listings doesn't mean they will. And I see no reason to pay money to a service on the off-chance someone might look at my work.

Just out of curiosity, do the publishers who supposedly use this service also accept unsolicited submissions? If so, why not submit to them directly? And if not, why not seek an agent to submit for you? Both of those options are free.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Great points and questions Katrina. Thanks!

Yes, an agent is my first choice. Still working on that option.

Some of the publishers do accept author submissions, but there are some (the biggest ones like Zondervan and Thomas Nelson) that don't.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm in a time crunch right now, but there's at least one thread here in Christian discussing this, and I think discussion about it in BR&BC.

Nutshell: Years ago when I thought I was writing for the C-Fic market, I paid them CMS the money. For my trouble I got, in one year... two snail-mail and several email sales pitches for vanity pubs. My advice: Yog's Law.

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, but hopefully helpful--in the NW there are a couple of great Christian writer's organizations that have really good conferences where you get to meet editors and agents in person. That can make a huge difference (including being able to submit directly to Zondervan, etc). NW Christian Writers Association, I believe, has a good conference in September or October. OCW (Oregon Christian Writers Assoc.) just had their big summer conference this week, but they have a one-day meeting in Portland coming up in October. There isn't the same chance to meet with editors and agents at that one, but it might help you to get established with a really good, helpful group.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Slightly off-topic, but hopefully helpful--in the NW there are a couple of great Christian writer's organizations that have really good conferences where you get to meet editors and agents in person. That can make a huge difference (including being able to submit directly to Zondervan, etc). NW Christian Writers Association, I believe, has a good conference in September or October. OCW (Oregon Christian Writers Assoc.) just had their big summer conference this week, but they have a one-day meeting in Portland coming up in October. There isn't the same chance to meet with editors and agents at that one, but it might help you to get established with a really good, helpful group.

Yes, it is helpful thanks! Actually this year I went to a Christian Writer's Conference, I can't recall the name . . . I had a great time and hope to go again next year. I didn't have much luck with meeting agents and editors there though. I pitched to two . . . one was with a "pay to play" operation (no thanks) and the other told me to send my proposal, and then gave me a "no means no" rejection. I would think a face to face meeting would at least merit a form rejection, LOL!

An agent from one of my dream agencies went to the Oregon Conference, I wish I had been there! Maybe next year. Anyway, it is a great idea. I really enjoyed the classes and the people I met at the one I went to.

Thanks again.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Quite a few years ago I tried these guys (or maybe it was Writers Edge; same business model) and was unimpressed. In one year I think they sent out two queries, and then ... crickets. I can think of a whole lot more fun ways to blow a chunk of cash.

In other words, what Lilly said! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.