My Synopsis for a Play: Basic Question - what are your thoughts?

clouddog

Registered
Reaction score
A schizophrenic woman, (Leia), is a non compliant patient in a psychiatric hospital. She is taunted by demons and ex lovers. These are portrayed by Actors but are parts of her inner world. She falls in love with a new patient, an aggressive vagrant, 30 years her senior. Their delusions run parallel, and they have a "folie a deux". Their 'love' and delusional 'marriage' is a not deemed to be safe by the staff and he is sent to a locked ward.

During and after being released from hospital she meets the hero of the play (Anthony), who can travel between different realities through a portal run by Spirits who serve Realities like plates of Sushi in a Sushi Bar. They go on adventures together which cause her to relapse. The conflict is between actual delusions and magical journeys with a safe partner, (the world of this play, but also an allegory).

Leia is now compliant, allowing her to only see the 'real world' of the play, however as a life long Schizophrenic she continues to have some problems - but these are manageable because of the support of Anthony.

It ends with Leia and Anthony growing old together, sharing adventures. Leia is now in outpatient psychiatric care through medication and finding true love, acceptance and a stable marriage.

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert at play writing, but I like the plot. I'm curious, though - it sounds much more fitting for a novel. Why did you chose to write it as a play rather than a novel?

Djuna

clouddog

Registered
Reaction score
tried

Hi

I tried to write it as a novel.

I'm not a visual person. I would find it impossible to describe - a room, a character's face...

The reason i have not continued as a novel is because i found it excruciating to read back. I have more of a background in Theatre and I found it a lot easier - because you are helped in the process of staging a play with a lot of other people's interpretations and ideas. That feels like a massive cop out - but as no one would bother unless it's an excellent script - so i do have to hold the thing in my mind - which i guess is visual - but more of a feeling thing. I am kinesthetic in processing and found - by writing it as a play that things really took off with the dialogue. The people who have read it say that they think i have a talent for dialogue. i fall down with descriptions the minute I say - the sun was shining and she walked up a green shrouded path - i mean to say it's just a joke - i fall down with it before i start. I am Clueless. The evidence is my vocabulary in normal life - i feel things - I don't see them. Makes for painful reading.

Kate